Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: Neon’s A Doll A Migraine-less Day, More Or Less - 2019 edition!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I really want to live in Oddwickshire. I too like The Rowdy Scuffler as a name, but if you want to use the original name, but make it more manageable The Windrunner might work.
Thank you so much guys! The Rowdy Scuffler it is! I wasn't too attached to the previous name, I just didn't have any ideas and I really like that book, but out-of-control breakfast pastry really does suit the ship and the world in general much better! I'm glad you're having fun in my little imaginary world.

(07-31-2019, 03:12 AM)dargosmydaddy Wrote: [ -> ]The Rowdy Scuffler, for sure!

Aye aye, captain!

(07-31-2019, 03:17 AM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Beatrix looks amazing, and her job sounds amazing as well! The Rowdy Scuffler seems exactly like the type of ship this stylish lass would fly, and it does seem like a name Her Insane Majesty would give her chosen airship as well.  Isidor sounds really interesting as well, and I like that he wanted to use his powers to help people. It's nice to see that other cultures have will-o'-wisps.

Thank you!!! I think that myths that ex²plain common natural phenomena are present in all cultures, so will-o'-wisps are bound to happen in one form or another. I like comparing all the different variants.

(07-31-2019, 05:22 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]This is my favorite installment of the Oddwickschire Chronicles yet, I think I am developing a mad crush on Beatrix Brasschester, and The Rowdy Scuffler is definitely the right name for the airship!

Where did you find those marvelous goggles? They are not standard stock with this figure, are they?

Thank you kindly!!!

Those magnificent girls in their flying machines and goggles are your preferred type, huh? I can see why. wink

I got those goggles as a freebee from person who sold me Aurora, I believe they're from Isul Helios's stock (the old steampunk Helios, not the new Sailor Moon one). Mine have damaged glass, so I don't use them often, because it's a pain to arrange them so that it's not too visible.

(07-31-2019, 01:43 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]Concurring with the others on the name of the ship - the other is mice, but not as good for the type of ships it’s going to be.

Interesting variation on the will o whisp folklore.

Beatrix is beautiful - seeing your photos of her encouraged me to get her for myself .

Thank you! I'm glad I could Mad Hatter-enable you, she's so worth it!

(07-31-2019, 02:59 PM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]I live in a place with lighthouses... and love the idea of using them for airships!  
Do I even need to add another vote for the airship name?  It sounds a better fit for your world.  And I also love the imaginative take on will-o-the-wisps.  I LOL'd at how flying and hats don't mix LOL
Seriously, this needs to be a book series.

Aww, thank you so very much!

(07-31-2019, 04:51 PM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]I really want to live in Oddwickshire. I too like The Rowdy Scuffler as a name, but if you want to use the original name, but make it more manageable The Windrunner might work.

Thank you very much! As a kid, I had a place I wanted to be real so that I could move there, the Magic Town from the game The Sims: Makin' Magic, and when I started working on Oddwickshire, I wanted to create something that would give off the same vibes - lovely little spooky place I'd love to live in myself, so I'm really glad you'd like to live there, too!

Day 212

First off, a few things: I have a very mild migraine, I can post a photo (except for not really, I'll get to that), but I don't feel like typing another wall of text, so I'll post the remaining wall of text from yesterday, at least today's and tomorrow's walls of text will both be a little shorter that way. I did take a photo today, but Pinterest is acting up again, and I can't upload it. So for now, have a story-rant, I'll add the photo (Cerise checking if my bugleweeds are sprouting roots) whenever Pinterests deigns to cooperate.

The First Lighthouse Crew, Part 2

Faramond Pocklington

Faramond is clever and dexterous, but very shy young man. He always wanted to become an airship captain, but he didn’t believe he has what it takes. And after hearing about girl five years his junior becoming an ace pilot, his confidence dropped some more. He decided to apply for a job in The First Lighthouse, so that he could be at least close to airships, eventhough he’s probably never going to pilot one.

After becoming a lighthouse keeper (his job mostly entails keeping Isidor in check), he met Beatrix a few times, and he has even higher opinion of her now. Lately, he’s been thinking about her a lot, and he finds that unsettling. He was barely able to speak to her before, but now, he’s so nervous, he always hides and watches her from afar.

Beatrix didn’t really notice his odd behavior, neither did she think about what reasons might be behind it. Her mind is always trying to reach the horizon, and sometimes, she loses sight of things that are right under her nose because of that.

Sirius Pocklington

Sirius is Faramond’s younger brother, and he started his apprenticeship in the lighthouse as a dispatcher on day shift (Isidor takes over at night) about a year ago. He’s 15, 10 years younger than Faramond, but of the two, Sirius is more of an older brother material. He’s just as smart and dexterous, but he’s also level headed, able to remain calm under practically any circumstances (working with Isidor helped him greatly improve this ability) and he looks after his brother all the time. He hopes Faramond will soak some of Isidor’s confidence.

It didn’t take him long to figure out reason behind big bro’s outbursts of timidity, and he’s trying to come up with a strategy to make his brother more confident and to make Beatrix notice. Gosh, these grown-ups…

Callisto Coppersmith

The last member of the lighthouse crew is Callisto Coppersmith, young genius (all of 14 years old) who’s taken apprenticeship at the lighthouse and at Rebecca’s workshop (in form of distance learning with meeting in person every two weeks) at the same time! She’s mostly responsible for technical maintenance and occasional improvements of the lighthouse equipment. Once she becomes a full-time employee, she’ll be also able to do maintenance and improvements on airships.

She came to the lighthouse shortly after Sirius. She kinda hates him, ‘cause he’s making her feel funny. She has sworn to never get caught up in this absurd love business. She’s going to become the best mechanic ever, she can’t let herself be distracted by unnecessary things like some stupid crush or something… She’s never been interested in boys, and she’s not going to start just because some random guy is smart, funny, kind, and has, like, absolutely dreamy eyes, dammit! That’s why she makes sure to never smile at him and only stick to work-related topics. At the same time, it drives her, like, totally crazy that he seems to be completely unaware of her feelings… Which she doesn’t have, so it’s alright! On rational level, somewhere in the back of her brain, she knows it’s silly. But on emotional level, she just doesn’t know what to doooo!

Isidor loves Callisto. She’s the little sister he’s been longing for (well, one of them). She’s so cute when she’s yelling that she won’t wear any stupid frilly dresses, thank you very much and then she blushes when he says that’s a shame, she would look so good in it… Or when he brings her doughnuts, and she says ‘I hate sweets, but thanks’ and then, when she thinks no one can see her, gobbles them up in a few seconds… He’ll have to do something about Sirius, that guy is too busy trying to get his brother and the pretty airship captain (if she was his little sister, should he call her Betty, or Trixie? She’s adorable!) together, he has no idea Callisto likes him… Then again, she has no idea, so he’ll have to start with her… My, these kids…

Callisto pretends to be annoyed by Isidor, because a prodigy like her has an image to maintain, but she’s glad he sees right through it. She really likes him, and she knows she can tell him anything. Well, except for that thing. It’s so easy to admit she likes someone who’s 800 years older and different biological species...

I think she’s actually a very nice girl, she just needs to stop believing that intelligent means stone cold, cuteness induces stupidity and having feelings for someone will shatter your dreams… Well, I believe Isidor will have positive influence on her.

Edit: I managed to upload the photo (7th time's the charm!), so here it is! I'm trying to grow some bugleweeds, and Cerise is helping me.

[Image: 172fc6d6d59b014d0d0030d6445ace4f.jpg]
@neon_jellyfish this Isidor fellow is a "Siscon" he is projecting he needs a sister on other girls.Id probably be creeped out by this guy. He should try to make friends instead of wanting so badly to have a sister ..-.. Also what even is a will o wisp.
The lighthouse crew sounds fascinating and I have to ask: who's running the book on Sirius Callisto? What are the odds on accidental first kiss?

Also Cerise looks very interested in the plant growth
(08-01-2019, 12:18 AM)Jubilee Wrote: [ -> ]@neon_jellyfish this Isidor fellow is a "Siscon" he is projecting he needs a sister on other girls.Id probably be creeped out by this guy. He should try to make friends instead of wanting so badly to have a sister ..-.. Also what even is a will o wisp.

By all means do be creeped out. He is creepy.  xp Also, more creepy and downright sick things are coming soon so you might want to avoid this thread for a few days if you're bothered by this kind of stuff. wink

(08-01-2019, 12:41 AM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]The lighthouse crew sounds fascinating and I have to ask: who's running the book on Sirius Callisto? What are the odds on accidental first kiss?

Also Cerise looks very interested in the plant growth

LOL I don't think they're going to have that kind of accident... But it would be fun to watch Callisto's rection if they did... Any ship names?
Siristo? Callius?
Lovely photo of the always-lovely Cerise.

That's quite the tangled emotional web at the First Lighthouse. Sounds like the potential for distraction could lead to danger for aeronauts who depend on the light.
The Lighthouse group is reaching high levels of daytime soap drama, it’s an interesting group for sure. It’s such an interesting world you’ve developed, a lot of fun to read about.

Cerise looks very intent on the plants.
Cerise looks so patient, waiting for the plants to grow. I bet she talks to them when no one's looking wink
Sounds like there's never a dull moment at the lighthouse.
I was at a museum lecture by a lighthousekeeper just last night! It was mostly a slide show of all the birds that stop there on migration. Hoped he'd talk a bit about life there for the keepers, but he didn't. So I'd rate a previous lecturer better -- he had great stories about living on a teeny rock through the winter storms, and how they once had the kids listening in on the radio, thinking they were talking to Santa Claus LOL
Did I mention I love the lighthouses-for-airships idea, haha? It's just so completely different from my whole concept of lighthouses, which makes it a lot of fun.
Cerise is definitely a plant talker. I hope Faramond one day realises his dream of flight.
@neon_jellyfish I'll still read your story just think the guy is creepy that's all. How did you come up with all the characters personalities.(I  don't know if you already answered a question like this).Callisto personality is like someone from an anime tbh.
(08-01-2019, 02:04 AM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Siristo? Callius?

Callius!

(08-01-2019, 04:48 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]Lovely photo of the always-lovely Cerise.

That's quite the tangled emotional web at the First Lighthouse. Sounds like the potential for distraction could lead to danger for aeronauts who depend on the light.

Ah, no, it doesn't really cause drama, just an awkward silence now and then. They're professionals, they don't let these things interfere with their jobs. Their lunch breaks might be more awkward though... They're mostly just stuck on personal level, but Sirius and Isidor are working on it, so I'm optimistic.

(08-01-2019, 07:39 AM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]The Lighthouse group is reaching high levels of daytime soap drama, it’s an interesting group for sure.  It’s such an interesting world you’ve developed, a lot of fun to read about.

Cerise looks very intent on the plants.

Thank you!

(08-01-2019, 10:56 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Cerise looks so patient, waiting for the plants to grow.  I bet she talks to them when no one's looking wink
Sounds like there's never a dull moment at the lighthouse.
I was at a museum lecture by a lighthousekeeper just last night!  It was mostly a slide show of all the birds that stop there on migration.  Hoped he'd talk a bit about life there for the keepers, but he didn't.  So I'd rate a previous lecturer better -- he had great stories about living on a teeny rock through the winter storms, and how they once had the kids listening in on the radio, thinking they were talking to Santa Claus LOL
Did I mention I love the lighthouses-for-airships idea, haha?  It's just so completely different from my whole concept of lighthouses, which makes it a lot of fun.

The lighthouse is quite busy, so all the drama happens in form of inner dialogue. Callisto blushes when she accidentally touches Sirius, like when they reach for the same thing, but not much more than that.

There are manned lighthouses in Canada? I thought everything was automated now...

The lighthouses for airships are necessary in Oddwickshire, because all you can see from airship is a sea of fog, so you can't navigate by searching for landmarks. Well, Beatrix is fine with just a compass, map and pocket watch, but she's the only one. Lighthouses are either tall enough to stick out, or you can at least see their light.

(08-01-2019, 05:07 PM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]Cerise is definitely a plant talker. I hope Faramond one day realises his dream of flight.

I think he eventually will. Sirius and Isidor are working on it.

Day 213

I wanted to write about Quirkmore, but today's character's text is more than long enough on its own.

It's late, so we'll take a proper look at the town tomorrow. The governor of the town will kindly provide us with accommodations, so let's head to the palace and meet her. Oh, by the way, she's a vampire.

A note on Oddwickshire vampires

Vampire lore in general is one huge chaos, so for Oddwickshire, I decided to define my own set of vampire types, powers and weaknesses.

All vampires need to drink human blood and reflect in mirrors and water; none sparkle in the sunlight. They naturally don’t have shadows, but most of them create their own, right now, having a shadow is considered very fashionable. You can see some of the artificial shadows misbehave now and then.

First are primary vampires - those who were born that way. Leaders of the vampires are noble families that don’t have a drop of human blood in their bloodlines. They’re the most powerful ones.

Then there are lower-ranking commoner vampires who have some human ancestors, and their powers depend on how much human blood they have.

Secondary vampires’ powers depend on powers of the specific vampire who vampirified them. Some can be more powerful than most primary vampires, some have next to no powers. But no matter how strong they are, they’re always socially inferior to primary vampires. Noble vampires who are very likely to create powerful secondary vampires usually get their bodyguards this way (they don’t really need them, but it shows off their status nicely), and sometimes also formerly human spouses, mostly to avoid inbreeding.

Vampire powers are:
  • Psychological manipulation to make people easier prey (it’s forbidden by law now, they have to gain conscious consent) - all vampires, although to various degree
  • Turning into bats - all vampires
  • Growing bat wings but otherwise remaining in human form - noble vampires, more powerful commoner vampires and very powerful secondary vampires
  • Turning into crows, ravens and owls - primary vampires and more powerful secondary vampires
  • Communicaton with and control over all the aforementioned animals - primary vampires and more powerful secondary vampires
  • Creating and manipulating shadows and fog - all vampires, but to various degree
  • Travelling through shadows and fog in very high speed - primary vampires and more powerful secondary vampires
  • Ultra-healing - all vampires, but to various degree
  • Enhanced physical strength and senses - all vampires, but to various degree
  • Turning humans into vampires by feeding them vampire blood - noble vampires and more powerful commoner vampires
The weaknesses are:
  • Sunlight - it takes a long time to die from it, even the weakest vampires can withstand a few hours in direct sunlight, and the noble ones would have to be out in sunny weather for several days in a row; also, in Oddwickshire, these times get even longer thanks to the omnipresent fog that filters the sunlight; however, the burns are bad and take a long time to heal
  • Silver - works on most vampires (it burns their skin and it’s poisonous for them), but a few nobles are immune to it
  • decapitation - only when you use a silver weapon or apply silver before the head attaches itself back to the body
  • A wild rose placed on the coffin - prevents weaker vampires from leaving
  • Sage in all forms - repels all vampires, but the stronger the vampire is, the higher amount of sage it takes
  • Anti-vampire magic - it’s a very old magic art, nowadays practically forgotten, from days before humans and vampires became friends. Although, there is one person who knows it… Just in case...

Vampires see the governing Duke or Duchess as their King or Queen, and while they do acknowledge the official monarch and abide by their orders (especially since Her Insane Majesty became the official monarch), their true loyalty will always belong to their own ruler.

Callidora, Duchess of Quirkmore

[Image: 4e80ecc5147ab450c64cbb2cf5f0101c.jpg]

Quirkmore was ruled and protected by vampires for a long time. In exchange, they were allowed to feed on humans (as long as their food sources gave prior consent). Callidora is the last ruler from the very old clan of Dukes of Quirkmore.

She’s very young, only 19 years old, and she inherited the title because of somewhat tragic reasons - shortly after the Queen’s coronation, one of neighboring countries decided to start war by killing the previous Duke and Duchess, who were on official visit there. The nobleman who was their host (and was commissioned with the murder) decided to burn them in sunlight, luckily, he didn’t know it would take a few days to kill them this way, and so they were saved in time and the poor nobleman was found dead in his bed with extremely terrified ex³pression on his face. It’s a real mystery, because all the guards have sworn they didn’t see anyone who could sneak in, save their Graces and scare their host to death, not even a shadow escaped the sights of the hawk-eyed guards…
Needless to say, not a hint of war followed.

So their Graces are alive, but they got burnt very badly, and they have to remain in their bat forms until they recover, which might take years. But other than that, they’re quite happy and very proud of their daughter, who’s handling her new responsibilities with authority and poise.

Callidora is incredibly powerful noble vampire, one of the most dangerous creatures in the kingdom, some even say she could challenge Her Insane Majesty and actually have a chance to overpower her. She looks the part, but her personality is the complete opposite. She’s sweet, kind, gentle, caring, and she has no desire to rule over people, she takes her position as a responsibility, she thinks that having her vast powers (aside from the usual set, she can shapeshift into or control any kind of bird or reptile, walk on the water, manipulate the wind and and call forth storms) means having the duty to use them for the benefit of her people. And the people of Quirkmore love her! Some of them in rather peculiar ways, though…

The Blood Bank Squad

The Blood Bank Squad is Callidora’s fanclub that formed completely spontaneously when she reached the age of 17. It’s a group of young and also not-so-young men who unreservedly adore her, and they made being Callidora’s servants/food the main purpose of their lives. They’re very insistent about the food part. Callidora finds it somewhat awkward and, to be perfectly honest, sticky. The problem is, she needs blood, and she’s always felt bad for asking for it, so taking it from guys who actively offer it seems like the least harmful option…

Her Insane Majesty promised to establish a blood bank where volunteers could donate their blood and the vampires could get it neatly packed from there, without all the socially awkward biting business, but until then, Callidora will have to make do with her fanclub.

So now she basically has her own SM club, even though she never asked for it...
Callidora sounds fantastic. Does her duties include a lot of meetings with Her Insane Majesty? Also I like your take on vampires - especially that they don't sparkle. Are there any more vampire inhabitants of Oddwickshire that we'll get to meet?

(Also I hope Callidora's parents are alright even if they are still healing.)
Fascinating collection of lore / powers / abilities for the vampires.

I’ve never heard the wild rose piece of lore - where is that one from?
"... her own S&M club..."

Well... things are beginning to get... strange... er.

Marvelous backstory about The Duchess of Quirkmore, and Oddwickshire vampire lore in general. It all sounds very plausible, much more so than in some popular fiction.

Sage, not garlic? Well, that would make for more pleasant aromas around the windowsills of peasant houses.