Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: Neon’s A Doll A Migraine-less Day, More Or Less - 2019 edition!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(08-07-2019, 07:41 AM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Ooh, it would be interesting to know what happened to his village and if his magic had something to do with it

(08-07-2019, 09:27 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]And I wonder if your story world already has an ex-planation for what happened to his village, and if we'll find out...

(08-07-2019, 07:23 AM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]Ooh, did his magic manifest the day the rest of the village disappear and he was somehow the cause if it?

A lost triplet?  But wouldn’t he be much younger than the twins?  (Or am I thinking that because Isul is the younger brother of Pullip?)

I have a rough draft of what happened in the village, it's based on a weird dream I had a while ago, but I didn't work out the details yet. Basically, it's the location, it takes/eats/maybe something else people (and anything else that lives there) once in a while. This kind of thing happens periodically there, although in very long intervals (like decades or even centuries, not sure yet).

Crow's talent for magic played a different role - it allowed him to subconsciously sense the danger through a dream and sleepwalk into safe distance. His magic didn't need awakening or anything, it was always there, it's just that this village wasn't big on education, so he didn't have a chance to find out about it and learn anything when he was there.

Lejays, he isn't really G&G's lost triplet, the people from the circus just like to say that, because he has the same personality as the twins.

(08-07-2019, 08:05 AM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]Like others I’m also curious about how/why he’s magical.

There's no special reason behind that, Oddwickshire simply has a a lot of inhabitants with natural talent for magic. Since the whole underground is full of magic, most of what people eat and drink has a small amount of magic in it. After millennia of living here, magic became part of people's (and other creatures') DNA and some individuals develop a talent for manipulating it, they just need to practice to be able to use it at will.

(08-07-2019, 11:15 AM)dargosmydaddy Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Of course I didn't ex²pect you to forget, but it's really not part of Oddwickshire, and I feel stupid for doing this to my character. It was meant to be just a little out-of-verse joke about his unmanageable outfit, but it somehow became all he can ever be on this forum. I wish I didn't post it.

Maybe you should hand wave it as the circus is so popular it inspires fan fiction smile

I know you've posted pictures of Ciarán before, but this is the first time I've noticed the plume on his hat!

Yes, he has, his outfit is pretty accurate rendition of the anime one, although I wish they made it from fabric, I'm not very good at maintaing real feathers...

(08-07-2019, 01:11 PM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]But we love him for it. It would be interesting if he had somehow acquired an "enchanted" item of clothing that he has not yet learned to master. The could be a secret reason that he spends so much time reading about magic.

But if if the SuperWhirlyTwirlinator was a "one-off" gag that is not part of the in-universe character, and if you'd prefer we not mention it in the context of Oddwickshire, I would understand and respect that.

But please do not regret having made the Twirlinator posts. They brought a lot of fun and laughter to the forum.

It's not that I don't want you to mention it, of course not (I'm very opposed to people censoring themselves for other than very serious reasons (like maybe don't joke about death on a funeral unless you know for sure the mourning family and the dearly departed themselves would appreciate it*), so I would never ask for it), I just feel like I've killed the character before even introducing him. It's definitely my fault, I shouldn't have done anything with him before introducing him, he was Crow in my head before the whole Superwhirlytwirlinator thing, but that of course isn't the case for you guys, since I took so long to post the intros (because translating to English combined with my hunt-and-peck typing style always takes centuries to get done). I just didn't imagine that stupid little joke like that would totally overwrite the original character, so I thought it was OK to post an unrelated, well, not even a story, that was based on a momentary frustration with the doll's hellish pants. So yeah, sorry to disappoint, but Superwhirlytwirlinator isn't part of Oddwickshire.

*on a perfectly unrelated note, our family's funerals tend to be quite funny. My great-grandfather was 6' 5", but his casket was about 5' 5", so they either cut him into pieces or the body inside belonged to someone else. My family never found out what happened (displaying the body in open casket before funeral was never a thing here, so nobody has actually seen him on the day of the funeral). My grandfather's corpse slapped one of the undertakers when they came to pick up the body. There's a spiral staircase in that house and they were carrying him out head first, so his arm slipped from under the sheet (they didn't put him in a body bag for some reason) and hit the poor guy's head. Grandpa was tall and had big arms (just like his father in the suspiciously small coffin), so it was quite a whack LOL
My other (also deceased) grandfather's sister tends to illegally change the inscriptions on his gravestone (the grave is for storing ashes of his and grannie's families, and the slightly crazy auntie Evžena hired someone to erase grannie's family's name from it). She also quite regularly takes urns away from it only to put them back after a while. I wonder if she's a necromancer or something. I also wonder if she'd be willing to teach me a thing or two.

Day 219

Iaso Feverfew

[Image: 3a5330389f20e261d03ca68b2d09918d.jpg]

Iaso is local doctor. Local in the whole Oddwickshire. Somehow, she’s always nearby when you need her. She looks like a 12-year-old, but she’s much older, she’s been around since time immemorial. She doesn’t age, she doesn’t change, she’s always been here - little girl with weird surgical mask and extraordinary medical bag full of scary secrets. Her methods are very unconventional, but very effective. When she says she’ll heal someone, she will. Only now and then she’ll say there’s nothing she can do, and then it’s off to Schwarzgrab Funeral Home.
Iaso loves rain. She never misses a chance to dance in it or to catch raindrops with her tongue.

On one of her investigation raids, Eteri found a stone with carving of a little girl oddly similar to Iaso in what looked like ruins of some primitive temple. Based on her research, Eteri thinks that the stone piece was part of altar devoted to ancient goddess of healing. But the resemblance might just be a fluke, one can never be sure with these avant-garde art styles from long lost past...

And that's it! No more exhausting walls of bad English! This is all I have, and I don't think I'll have much to add in the future. I want to shell the remaining characters, but I'm not sure if something new will happen. That will greatly depend on Groove producing new must-have dolls, but lately, even if I'm hyped for a new release at first, I never end up liking it enough to buy the doll... We'll see.

Congratulations on surviving the tour around Oddwickshire!
Oooh, Iaso is so very interesting...

Wednesday would very much like to speak with this fascinating doctor.

(Also she would like a holiday to Oddwickshire. Do they have space for tourists? It would be a party of ... oh, let's see... Wednesday, her cousins, her Trickster, his brother... Seven. A party of seven. )
Aw, I quite enjoyed your "walls of text" and a glimpse of this fascinating world. I hope we might see some more bits of story in the future. Although I appreciate the effort if it really took a long time to type. (Bad English?, heck no. As I think others have pointed out, it's better than a lot of people who are "supposed" to be native English speakers.)
I feel like I should be seeing books showing up in the YA section at the library... LOL
Maybe a little story-vignette about someone's adventures...?
A people-eating(?) village... interesting...

(08-08-2019, 12:33 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Since the whole underground is full of magic, most of what people eat and drink has a small amount of magic in it. After millennia of living here, magic became part of people's (and other creatures') DNA and some individuals develop a talent for manipulating it, ...
I love this idea. "You are what you eat"! grin My excuse for saying I really do have saltwater (desalinated) in my veins... and now a little bit of Hawaii as well.
This was such an imaginative series. Be prepared to be pestered by forum members to write more wink
Such a fascinating creation if the country, I’ve really enjoyed reading the wall-of-text with each character portrait.

A possbly-ancient healing deity, a great way to finish off the group.
I shall truly miss the "wall of text" (with excellent English grammar, punctuation, and overall language proficiency) posts to which we have recently been treated.

I sincerely hope we continue to see the denizens of Oddwick on a regular basis with, if not walls o' text, at least shorter vignettes to keep us apprised of their activities.
I’ve so enjoyed visiting Oddwickshire and meeting its inhabitants. Being a doctor, I think the Steampunk Dodo’s beak would a perfect accessory for Iaso when she does her rounds. I hope we do see more of the Shire and it’s folk in the future. Maybe on Her Insane Majesty’s birthday celebration. That has to be a big day in Oddwickshire.
(08-08-2019, 01:03 AM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Oooh, Iaso is so very interesting...

Wednesday would very much like to speak with this fascinating doctor.

(Also she would like a holiday to Oddwickshire. Do they have space for tourists? It would be a party of ... oh, let's see... Wednesday, her cousins, her Trickster, his brother... Seven. A party of seven. )

Thank you!

Wednesday and her suite will be more than welcome in Oddwickshire! We like weird people here! Both Oddwick and Quirkmore have inns offering very comfortable and highly uncomfortable accomodations.

(08-08-2019, 03:21 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Aw, I quite enjoyed your "walls of text" and a glimpse of this fascinating world.  I hope we might see some more bits of story in the future.  Although I appreciate the effort if it really took a long time to type.  (Bad English?, heck no.  As I think others have pointed out, it's better than a lot of people who are "supposed" to be native English speakers.)
I feel like I should be seeing books showing up in the YA section at the library...  LOL
Maybe a little story-vignette about someone's adventures...?
A people-eating(?) village...  interesting...

(08-08-2019, 12:33 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Since the whole underground is full of magic, most of what people eat and drink has a small amount of magic in it. After millennia of living here, magic became part of people's (and other creatures') DNA and some individuals develop a talent for manipulating it, ...
I love this idea.  "You are what you eat"! grin  My excuse for saying I really do have saltwater (desalinated) in my veins... and now a little bit of Hawaii as well.
This was such an imaginative series.  Be prepared to be pestered by forum members to write more wink

Thank you very much!

(08-08-2019, 07:26 AM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]Such a fascinating creation if the country, I’ve really enjoyed reading the wall-of-text with each character portrait.

A possbly-ancient healing deity, a great way to finish off the group.

Thank you!!!

(08-08-2019, 02:46 PM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]I shall truly miss the "wall of text" (with excellent English grammar, punctuation, and overall language proficiency) posts to which we have recently been treated.

I sincerely hope we continue to see the denizens of Oddwick on a regular basis with, if not walls o' text, at least shorter vignettes to keep us apprised of their activities.

Thank you! Oddies will definitely appear on more photos, but I'm not sure about any kind of stories. I like coming up with settings, but stories aren't my thing...

(08-08-2019, 04:10 PM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]I’ve so enjoyed visiting Oddwickshire and meeting its inhabitants. Being a doctor, I think the Steampunk Dodo’s beak would a perfect accessory for Iaso when she does her rounds. I hope we do see more of the Shire and it’s folk in the future. Maybe on Her Insane Majesty’s birthday celebration. That has to be a big day in Oddwickshire.

Oh, you're right, Dodo's beak would make a great plague mask!
Oh, you've read my mind, Her Insane Majesty's birthday will be in a few weaks, and I was thinking about what should I do for it just yesterday!

Day  220

New arrivals!

So, I said that I won't get an Azone unless it's on the Emotion body, because I would hate the unarticulated wrists. And I still insist that I'm perfectly able to resist a doll with unarticulated wrists, the thing is, that's not the important question. The important question is - am I able to resist green-eyed steampunk redhead? I think we all know the answer...

I also said that I wasn't going to start a 1/12 collection. But then they just had to go and release little emo bookworm...

So here they are, my Ravi – Early Summer Newspaper Reporter from the Azone Alvastaria line (she's the second Ravi they released) and 2nd series Will form their Lil' Fairy line. I'm also craving the 1st series version of Will...

[Image: 49b204af4cc748463d290ecf435b6c1f.jpg]

I will give them new names, but I haven't deciden on them yet.

Here's Will:

[Image: 40dc896ce2be89cea4a5cdeba859c3f7.jpg]

And here's Ravi:

[Image: 360a5c6ce90c457ab924fa0b9d228122.jpg]

Her face is so adorable!

[Image: 1969dba43c19fb75231fe029ddeda293.jpg]

I'm in love with them. I'll be definitely getting a small army of both 1/6 and 1/12 Azone dolls!
Oh, wow! Your Will and Ravi are goregous! (I was looking at that Ravi myself! Hoping to find one!)
Love Ravi’s outfit. And I love green-eyed redheads (and weirdly, I don’t think I own any), so I fully agree with you collecting an army of them of different types.

Even if you don’t make up “good stories” the background of the characters and world has been very satisfying. They’re all very real, more real than some characters I read in books. Of course, that’s probably because they’re accompanied by the gorgeous photos you take.
Congrats on the new arrivals. Ravi looks very sweet.
Stories aren't your thing.... I dunno; it sounds like you've already made up plenty of stories with all the backgrounds of the characters you've already told us. So maybe it's just a case of articulating those in more detail. Your crew is already loaded with stories smile
(08-08-2019, 11:52 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Oddies will definitely appear on more photos, but I'm not sure about any kind of stories. I like coming up with settings, but stories aren't my thing...
Well... you understand the risk of not coming up with stories of your own, I'm sure!
Tongue
"... Early Summer (Steampunk!) Newspaper Reporter..." with, as you note, red hair and green eyes!!! I can definitely see how your resolve completely collapsed in the face of such an irresistible combination!
(08-09-2019, 12:13 AM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, wow! Your Will and Ravi are goregous! (I was looking at that Ravi myself! Hoping to find one!)

Thanks! I hope you'll be able to find one for a good price!

(08-09-2019, 12:27 AM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]Love Ravi’s outfit.  And I love green-eyed redheads (and weirdly, I don’t think I own any), so I fully agree with you collecting an army of them of different types.

Even if you don’t make up “good stories” the background of the characters and world has been very satisfying.  They’re all very real, more real than some characters I read in books.  Of course, that’s probably because they’re accompanied by the gorgeous photos you take.

Thank you!!!

(08-09-2019, 02:22 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Congrats on the new arrivals.  Ravi looks very sweet.
Stories aren't your thing.... I dunno; it sounds like you've already made up plenty of stories with all the backgrounds of the characters you've already told us.  So maybe it's just a case of articulating those in more detail.  Your crew is already loaded with stories smile

Thank you! See, more detail is exactly where I get stuck. Stories with beginning, plot and ending that span for more than three sentences are simply impossible for me, my brain doesn't work that way. I'm not bothered by it, I just wanted to clarify why there won't be any real stories from Oddwickshire.

(08-09-2019, 06:41 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2019, 11:52 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Oddies will definitely appear on more photos, but I'm not sure about any kind of stories. I like coming up with settings, but stories aren't my thing...
Well... you understand the risk of not coming up with stories of your own, I'm sure!
Tongue
"... Early Summer (Steampunk!) Newspaper Reporter..." with, as you note, red hair and green eyes!!! I can definitely see how your resolve completely collapsed in the face of such an irresistible combination!

Well, what can I say. I can't do stories. If you do something I don't like, I'm gonna tell Her Insane Majesty. xp (
Oh, she is irresistible! She's also one of those drugs that kick off addiction after the first dose! I'mmm crrraviiinngggg mmmmmooorrrrrrre!

Day 221

I'm totally uninspired today, so I took a size comparison photo of Ravi and MH Frankie. I'm sure werepuppy already posted some comparison pics, but I didn't have any other idea, so here we go. Ravi is on Azone's Flection Full Movable XS body, which is their smallest 1/6 body. She's standing on a book that's as thick as a MH stand base, so she and Frankie stand at the same level. If you're curious about the book, it's Czech translation of Bing Xin's Spring Water.

[Image: 5b3dc130fc7f0b592bf6a1e444ee69c7.jpg]

I hope I'll get more Azone body types as I go.
(08-09-2019, 12:13 AM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, wow! Your Will and Ravi are goregous! (I was looking at that Ravi myself! Hoping to find one!)

Thanks! I hope you'll be able to find one for a good price!

(08-09-2019, 12:27 AM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]Love Ravi’s outfit.  And I love green-eyed redheads (and weirdly, I don’t think I own any), so I fully agree with you collecting an army of them of different types.

Even if you don’t make up “good stories” the background of the characters and world has been very satisfying.  They’re all very real, more real than some characters I read in books.  Of course, that’s probably because they’re accompanied by the gorgeous photos you take.

Thank you!!!

(08-09-2019, 02:22 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Congrats on the new arrivals.  Ravi looks very sweet.
Stories aren't your thing.... I dunno; it sounds like you've already made up plenty of stories with all the backgrounds of the characters you've already told us.  So maybe it's just a case of articulating those in more detail.  Your crew is already loaded with stories smile

Thank you! See, more detail is exactly where I get stuck. Stories with beginning, plot and ending that span for more than three sentences are simply impossible for me, my brain doesn't work that way. I'm not bothered by it, I just wanted to clarify why there won't be any real stories from Oddwickshire.

(08-09-2019, 06:41 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]
Tongue

Well, what can I say. I can't do stories. If you do something I don't like, I'm gonna tell Her Insane Majesty. xp (it's so weird to type this on purpose, I got so used to superscripts between x and p, I actually have to focus on NOT typing them on other forums)

Oh, she is irresistible! She's also one of those drugs that kick off addiction after the first dose! I'mmm crrraviiinngggg mmmmmooorrrrrrre!

Day 221

I'm totally uninspired today, so I took a size comparison photo of Ravi and MH Frankie. I'm sure werepuppy already posted some comparison pics, but I didn't have any other idea, so here we go. Ravi is on Azone's Flection Full Movable XS body, which is their smallest 1/6 body. She's standing on a book that's as thick as a MH stand base, so she and Frankie stand at the same level. If you're curious about the book, it's Czech translation of Bing Xin's Spring Water.

[Image: 5b3dc130fc7f0b592bf6a1e444ee69c7.jpg]

I hope I'll get more Azone body types as I go.
You know what's quite surprising to me now I look at it in the picture? The XS body seems to be only slightly thicker in the arms than a MH is...

Also, I do not have a comparison pic of an Azone and a MH, so you have won this one! I wonder what Ravi's place in your dollverse will be. Do you have a reporter already?
But now I want to know what the Azone costume would look like on a Monster High figure.

Looks like it would be a major pain to undress and redress, though.