Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: New(ish) dolls and a wig extravaganza
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My school's spring break tends to be my doll wig-buying time, as I have some free time spend with my dolls and some surplus money from the after school class my school always forces me to teach in winter/ early spring. 

This year I decided to make a big purchase from Luts. I first noticed their wigs when PullipStyle started stocking them, and kept hoping they'd get more boy wigs, even to the point of messaging and asking if they could get a few specific styles last summer. I received a "maybe" response, but considering that was 8 months and multiple PS wig restocks ago, I kind of gave up hope and figured I might as well order directly from the source. Unfortunately Luts doesn't offer cheaper shipping options like Leekeworld and Formydoll, but I figured with a big enough order the shipping kind of evened out to not such a bad deal. I ended up getting six boy wigs (one of them was a cheap sale one), and three Taeyangs who've been wigless are now ready for introductions!

First off is Xander. I fell in love with Taeyang Albireo when he was announced, and kept hoping he'd make an appearance on the Sample Sale eventually. When that didn't happen, I ended up buying him last summer. I'm still not sure that I should have, as it seems ridiculous to pay $130 for a doll whose stock and wig I really don't care about... but I can't say I'm entirely sorry. His face up is really divine!

The wig I was originally dying for from Luts was for Xander, and then it turned out to look less than stellar in real life. However, another wig I ordered (for a doll I thought I was getting on the boards here, but the seller ended up cancelling due to a family emergency) turned out to look pretty great. 

[Image: 40704349893_7de1cae0fa_z.jpg]Xander1 by tisue999, on Flickr

Along the same vein, the wig I had picked out for Curtis (my new Taeyang Missionary, a recent nude arrival from ebay... I was shocked when I was the only bidder and got him for a very decent price) didn't look too great, but another wig that I purchased "just because" worked perfectly. He's adorable.

[Image: 46754903195_27ac879583_z.jpg]Curtis1 by tisue999, on Flickr

Then there was the Willy Wonka head that I bought from KiraKira awhile back. Finding a body for him proved to be a huge challenge (in the end I bought a cheap Sample Sale Taeyang and mined him for parts...). Anyway, here's Ronan, the only one who ended up with a Luts wig specifically picked out for him smile

[Image: 46754904405_08a667653c_z.jpg]Ronan3 by tisue999, on Flickr

In addition to the big Luts order, I also made smaller purchases from Leekeworld and Denver Doll (who had some different color Leekeworld wigs). The Denver Doll order arrived first. My Maguna, Arturo (another recent ebay kind of bargain), is rocking the blue. (Now I'm kind of wishing I'd given him blue eyechips, too, but I had so much trouble getting his eye mechj back in correctly that I'm hesitant to do it again...)

[Image: 40723174263_8c9a46db7e_z.jpg]Arturo2 by tisue999, on Flickr

And I got a wig for Shireen, my bargain ebay Stica. She's only my second Type 3 Pullip. I recently rechipped my first (a Cinciallegra), and had no idea that the Type 3 heads apparently changed midway through their run. Had I realized that Stica was one of the old Type 3's with the removable skull top and rubber eye chips, I probably wouldn't have gotten her, as my previous attempts to rechip a similar type doll (Namu) were really frustrating. But Stica proved fairly cooperative, and I really like her new look! The wig is the perfect color for her, though the style is a little sticky-outy. I did have it in pigtails for awhile, which looked cute, but then I took them out to try to get them more even, and they came out even worse. I will try again when I'm in a more patient mood.

[Image: 47689549051_9343f12acc_z.jpg]Shireen2 by tisue999, on Flickr

Finally the Leekeworld order arrived. First I wanted a long wig for my second Byul. (In my book, Byul's are only palatable with bangs and long hair!) This is Ulcinara.

[Image: 47689556111_d28b554106_z.jpg]Ulci2 by tisue999, on Flickr

Then I needed wigs for my custom Nannette (a new purchase) and my Peter Pan (who I've had for awhile, but did a wig shuffle awhile back and she ended up with the short straw). The wigs I picked out for both of them ended up looking better on the other. Glad that worked out!

Here's Ginny...

[Image: 47636595092_181dc092e5_z.jpg]Ginny1 by tisue999, on Flickr

And the new-look Daisy...

[Image: 47636608022_a1fa0c68b5_z.jpg]Daisy13 by tisue999, on Flickr

On the same day the Leekeworld wigs arrived, I also received a new doll in the mail, another ebay purchase where I put in the (quite low) minimum bid and was shocked to win. I blame it on the fact that she had a weird non-stock wig on and had been re-bodied on a Barbie-type body. Anyway, I'd never really noticed Dita before, but her eyes really drew me in. When she arrived, I put her on my one spare Pullip body (which is missing an arm), and went through my spare wigs. I wasn't expecting to find anything, and then this happened... I think she wears it perfectly. Meet Vivi.

[Image: 47636613592_969373d4ef_z.jpg]Vivi2 by tisue999, on Flickr

Whew! So now I have a lot of newly presentable dolls to have fun with (and a few who still need the perfect wig...). My collection is getting way too big, but I really enjoy the re-styling part!
There's something about your Pullip (and Pullip family) photos that really brings the dollies to life. It's something subtle about the angle and the poses that accentuates their eyes. I'm scrutinizing the pictures, but I can't quite figure out or ex.press precisely what it is; but whatever it is, it works!

Your "Curtis", with his wavy red-orange hair, his red necktie, and his blue vest and white dress shirt, reminds me of... somebody famous who is in the news quite a lot.  LOL
Wow, what a great bunch of dolls… Congrats on all the new arrivals. Sounds like you got some good deals from eBay. And I bet you had a blast with all the new wigs. I really love the colour of Shireen's wig. Looking forward to more photos of your gang. smile
Oh, congrats on all your good eBay luck! Your dolls look really good and the wigs you've chosen for them work really well. Looking forward to seeing more photos of them al!!
Congrats on new mega-haul! They all look great!
Ooh, looking good! I have the hardest time picking out wigs, especially for the boys!
Thanks, everyone! 

Quote:There's something about your Pullip (and Pullip family) photos that really brings the dollies to life. It's something subtle about the angle and the poses that accentuates their eyes. I'm scrutinizing the pictures, but I can't quite figure out or ex.press precisely what it is; but whatever it is, it works!

Thank you! I frequently feel like the worst photographer on this forum, so that was nice to hear. smile

Quote:Your "Curtis", with his wavy red-orange hair, his red necktie, and his blue vest and white dress shirt, reminds me of... somebody famous who is in the news quite a lot.  

Ummm....

I changed his shirt after reading that...

[Image: 47661303772_3ff2c979f0_z.jpg]Curtis2 by tisue999, on Flickr

Quote:I have the hardest time picking out wigs, especially for the boys!

It's hard! I can still be pretty hit and miss.
(04-28-2019, 02:21 AM)dargosmydaddy Wrote: [ -> ]Ummm....

I changed his shirt after reading that...

LOL yay  Nice try; but that may not have been the most effective choice for a disguise.   Tongue
Your doll family looks so cute! I agree with Allie Cat on Shireen's wig: When I saw it, I was just like wow! I really love ginger wigs, too. I also like the style of Ginny's wig as well. Your boys are also just handsome! smile

I'm glad that you were able to get some good deals on eBay; I'm hunting around on there myself.
One last doll/ wig... This was the third wig I got from Denver Doll, with the intent of using it some day for a Dal custom. (I bought a MIO Mocha Dal kit ages ago and have yet to find someone to do the face-up...) Then last week I discovered a mocha Dal custom on ebay for a rather low BIN price ($60 including shipping for a fully done-up doll-- wig, elaborate costume, everything). There weren't many pictures, but from what I could see she looked really well done, which I found surprising for the price. (There are lot of amateur-ish looking customs that get listed for a lot more!) I hemmed and hawed for several hours and finally decided to purchase her, though I tried not to get my hopes up too much that she would be really spectacular. Well, she arrived yesterday, and she's beautiful! I rechipped her and rewigged her with the Denver Doll wig. (She came with a white wig and milky white chips.) I wasn't in love with the wig I chose for her yesterday, so spent this evening trying her with all my spare wigs, but nothing looked right. So then I put the first wig back on, and with a small adjustment (putting the part off center), I really like it!

Meet Soliloquy...

[Image: 40778762263_0d2e0267b5_z.jpg]Soliloquy2 by tisue999, on Flickr
OK, so if Moana was a Dal... LOL
She is cute, and you're right, a lot of not-great customs are listed for much more. I found her listing. I really dislike milky "cataract" chips and I think you definitely improved her look immensely with the new eyes and wig.
Congrats on the new arrival grin
Fantastic array of new & new-look dollies.

I still need to work up the courage to "scalp" some of my dolls - I need to rebody Maeve (body melt) & Ashli (broken arm sockets), but I'm "scared" of taking their hair off to do so.

which is weird as they all hang out in trees & on rocks at the seaside & other places they could easily be damaged xp

The newest Dal is really cute with that hairstyle
Quote:I still need to work up the courage to "scalp" some of my dolls - I need to rebody Maeve (body melt) & Ashli (broken arm sockets), but I'm "scared" of taking their hair off to do so.

It can definitely take courage! For me, opening up the head was my biggest "noooo, I can't do that!" for the longest time. I was finally forced into it by necessity (a custom came back to me with an issue that involved having to disassemble her head), and soon it became pretty simple. Running into a refuses-to-budge screw continues to be my biggest issue, but mostly it goes well. Getting the scalps off the older dolls can be sometimes difficult, though!
I love your whole family so much! I'm especially jealous of all your taeyangs. (I cant find any that I want that fit my budget). They're all amazing and I love them!
Thank you! Taeyangs are my favorite Groove doll smile