Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thank you very much, everyone!!!

Day 76

Quarantine

[Image: 20dd04db5e9385d114a2ce2507012575.jpg]

From 00:00 today, the whole Czech Republic is in quarantine. They announced it yesterday at 23:50. A few towns are in complete quarantine, people can only leave home to get necessary supplies, go to doctor (or take their pet to vet) or go help family members who live elsewhere. In the rest of the country, free movement of persons is prohibited, but it's less strict, people can, in addition to the abovementioned occassions, also go to work, go get food through those improvised take-out windows, we're even allowed to go on short walks, but all social events are forbidden (except for funerals and small family gatherings) and we mustn't form clusters, we're supposed to stay 2m apart (exceptions are public transport and people who live together). It is recommended to wear a surgical mask outside, and we aren't allowed to enter public transport without covered nose and mouth.

The chaos continues. What stores can open and which ones must remain closed changes on hourly basis. They want us to wear masks, but the shortage still wasn't dealt with. Overall shortage of key medical supplies continues. I can't even keep up with all the mess anymore. At least they allowed fabric stores to open, so I'm going to one tomorrow and will sew my own mask.

As of this writing, Czech Republic has 298 cases of COVID-19, two serious ones, no deaths.

Take care everyone!

Here's the non-filtered pic:

[Image: cca343078f80a1e70987f62cfb9b8451.jpg]
Several states in the US, even some with very few cases and no deaths, have implemented restaurant closures, allowing only take-out or delivery. Some cities are declaring curfews, allowing nobody on the streets between 1030pm (22:30) and 5:00am. (Does the virus spread more actively at night?) The federal government is now seriously considering a nationwide travel ban.

This is no longer about public safety. This is about those in power choosing to exert their power, and reveling in the harm they are causing, while assuring people that it is for their safety.

Scores of small businesses are closing. Hourly wage earners will be destitute by the end of the month, unable to pay their bills, with their credit ratings destroyed.

I am feeling like Frankie in your photo, trapped by the madness with no means to escape.

One "ex-pert" on television a few minutes ago questioned the extent and the efficacy of the draconian measures, wondering on the air if it might simply be better to lift all restrictions and simply let the virus run its course rather than destroying the country in what will ultimately be a futile effort to defeat it.

(EDIT-UPDATE: ) Two counties in my state are requiring restaurants to close all seating areas an only offer take-out or delivery orders. This order is in place "for the foreseeable future," meaning, potentially, forever.
Grocery stores in the closest city and in our nearby small town are now completely sold out of toilet tissue, potatoes, milk, soap, and feminine hygiene products. (This last I just happened to notice as I was walking past empty shelves. Doesn't affect me so much, but could impact most of the members of this forum.)
This is based on 29 cases and no fatalities.
I must admit to feeling extremely pessimistic about things at the moment. It won't be long until absurd restrictions and shortages of common goods drive people to do very uncivilized things.
There is a great horror feel to both pictures, which really fits with, well, everything right now...
(03-17-2020, 02:19 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]Several states in the US, even some with very few cases and no deaths, have implemented restaurant closures, allowing only take-out or delivery. Some cities are declaring curfews, allowing nobody on the streets between 1030pm (22:30) and 5:00am. (Does the virus spread more actively at night?) The federal government is now seriously considering a nationwide travel ban.

This is no longer about public safety. This is about those in power choosing to exert their power, and reveling in the harm they are causing, while assuring people that it is for their safety.

Scores of small businesses are closing. Hourly wage earners will be destitute by the end of the month, unable to pay their bills, with their credit ratings destroyed.

I am feeling like Frankie in your photo, trapped by the madness with no means to escape.

One "ex-pert" on television a few minutes ago questioned the extent and the efficacy of the draconian measures, wondering on the air if it might simply be better to lift all restrictions and simply let the virus run its course rather than destroying the country in what will ultimately be a futile effort to defeat it.

(EDIT-UPDATE: ) Two counties in my state are requiring restaurants to close all seating areas an only offer take-out or delivery orders. This order is in place "for the foreseeable future," meaning, potentially, forever.
Grocery stores in the closest city and in our nearby small town are now completely sold out of toilet tissue, potatoes, milk, soap, and feminine hygiene products. (This last I just happened to notice as I was walking past empty shelves. Doesn't affect me so much, but could impact most of the members of this forum.)
This is based on 29 cases and no fatalities.
I must admit to feeling extremely pessimistic about things at the moment. It won't be long until absurd restrictions and shortages of common goods drive people to do very uncivilized things.

I see your hystery is closing in on ours... Stay safe!

(03-17-2020, 05:07 AM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]There is a great horror feel to both pictures, which really fits with, well, everything right now...

Yeah, horror is the right word.

Day 77

ADAW #11
Well, obviously...

[Image: d51aa599f0f80a883f67b231f91d18cd.jpg]
"Your Majesty?"
"...What blood."

[Image: 2772138762ef79d268c16a78d0ac7831.jpg]

Shortage of everything continues. I managed to get some cotton and a few pieces of elastic cord for my and my family's masks. Prague is pretty much out of elastic cord (and the cotton will follow soon), since everyone is buying yards and yards of it, because with everything changing from hour to hour, nobody knows how long will the fabric stores stay open. Czechs are awful people. Ever since the limited movement of persons rule became effective, people keep calling the police to report those who dared to go outside, eventhough it's actually permitted. They just don't understand the rules, partially because they're idiots, partially (and that's a huge part) because the government is still unable to communicate these things clearly. The rest of the chaos is the same as before. Everything keeps changing, nobody tells people what exactly is going on, shortage of important materials, such as surgical masks, respirators, disinfectants and toilet paper continues, and tomorrow, we will also run out of COVID-19 tests.

I am so tired of this.

As of this writing, Czech republic has 383 cases of COVID-19, three serious ones, no deaths, and first three people are fully recovered.
EDIT: A few minutes after I posted, new numbers came in - we now have 434 cases, three serious, no deaths.
A very bleak outlook

Raven: What this blood?
Her Insane Majesty: What blood?
Uhm... you might not want to, y'know, touch that, Raven!

Excellent illustration!

Not so excellent situation!

I truly worry about you over there. I hope the situation remains safe. My concern is not with the virus. It is with the way governments are reacting.
Great quarantine photo! You captured a 'trapped' sort of mood very well.
And a great doodle also. Her Majesty's ex.pression suggests she's concocting something...

(03-18-2020, 03:41 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Ever since the limited movement of persons rule became effective, people keep calling the police to report those who dared to go outside, eventhough it's actually permitted.
Wow. And our province now apparently also has a health department tattle-line you can call to report people who aren't self-isolating. On the community bitch-&-whine page, at least a couple of people keep saying "I saw people that I know have been away and they were in xxxx Store..." In a place where everyone's into everyone else's business all the time (& often get it wrong) I'm sure there will be lots of opportunity for antagonism, misunderstanding, maybe reporting people who've done their 14 days, or weren't away at all, or were mistaken for someone else...
I am not giving up my walks to 'my' isolated beach. Or the mailbox. Anyone wants to report me for walking on the roadside all by myself needs to get a life. I have used the grocery store's pickup service so I didn't have to go in. I've read in a few places that masks don't help prevent the spread, not sure why?, but that you should only use them if you're sick (in which case, you shouldn't be out at all, I guess?).
The constant media coverage is really fuelling fear. Yesterday I heard a truly horrendous prediction of possible deaths, & wonder where that came from. Do half the people who are 'commentating' really know the facts...?
Neon -- sorry you have to deal with a government that doesn't seem able to handle things. Hang in there.
Her Majesty can always put a smile on the face ‘What blood?’
Quote:I've read in a few places that masks don't help prevent the spread, not sure why?

Supposedly it's because most people don't wear them properly anyhow. And if you're a healthy person wearing one and you reach up to readjust it frequently (which most people do, because they're uncomfortable), it leaves you more open to contamination that way (since you're now touching your faces with your potentially contaminated hands).
Thank you for your support, everyone!!! Don't worry about me, I'll be fine, I'm not alone in this mess.

Day 78

Sorry, I only have very crappy selfie today.

[Image: 4d6c502a84e5d4dfda157fb3eff1c03e.jpg]

I look like a corpse, but don't worry, I'm fine, this is what I always look like.

Anyways, look who arrived today! Dolls.moe somehow managed to ship her from Spain to Czech Republic, so from one country with areal quarantine to another country with areal quarantine, and it only took 3 days. I'm so grateful! At least one good thing happened amidst all this mess! She's Azone Lil' Fairy Sui. Proper pics tomorrow!

Today I sewed masks for myself and my family. I'm going to make more, so that we have spare ones when the first batch needs to be washed. From midnight until the epidemy is over, we are required to wear masks or cover our mouths and noses when leaving the house (until now it was just in public transport and stores). I decided I want my mask(s) to be pretty and fun, so I went with purple, surprise surprise!

What my masks can and cannot do:
  • they CANNOT protect one from catching COVID-19, this isn't medical equipment, it's just homemade cotton mask
  • they CAN protect others from catching my virus to some degree, they consist of two layers of sturdy cotton and a pocket for additional filter, even just a tissue can make difference (and it's easy to dispose of). It stops the virus I could sneeze or cough out, and little virus bastards that manage to squeeze through will lose speed, so the virus won't spread so far.
The idea behind these masks and the regulation making covering one's mouth and nose obligatory isn't protecting people from catching the virus, but from spreading it, which itself will be a form of protection once everyone starts doing it.

It seems like our healthcare is finally getting the materials they need, our govt is still disorganised as hell, but it seems like we got used to it, so the panic is slowly starting to fade out.

As of this writing, Czech Republic has 522 cases of COVID-19, five serious ones, no deaths, three people have fully recovered.
Aw, hey, how nice to see a face to put to the name! smile You don't look like a corpse. I've got dreadful baggy eyes from running so short of sleep on the way home. Cheers for the new arrival! and I'm glad to hear the panic is waning somewhat. I suppose keeping busy doing something to protect yourself & your family brings some measure of reassurance. (and it is cute and fun and looks very neatly made!)
Oh my goodness! We finally see a picture of the actual neon_jellyfish! That is certainly an unekspected bright spot among all this gloom and doom!

Good to know that international delivery is still functioning in the EU.

Your mask is very stylish. It appears that you... I don't know the sewing terms... created shapes that, when sewn together, match the contours of the nose and face, rather than being just a simple rectangular strip.
I love your mask! Practical and stylish! Who knows, mask couture might become a thing now, and you'll be at the front of the trend smile

I have a plague doctor mask somewhere from a costume party I went to a few years ago... wonder how freaky it would be to wear that out in public?
The newcomer is very cute.

Keep safe, dear!
Fantastic to see a real neon selfie! You don’t look at all corpse like!