Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(03-19-2020, 07:25 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Aw, hey, how nice to see a face to put to the name! smile  You don't look like a corpse.  I've got dreadful baggy eyes from running so short of sleep on the way home.  Cheers for the new arrival! and I'm glad to hear the panic is waning somewhat.  I suppose keeping busy doing something to protect yourself & your family brings some measure of reassurance.  (and it is cute and fun and looks very neatly made!)

Thank you!!!

(03-19-2020, 07:42 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]Oh my goodness! We finally see a picture of the actual neon_jellyfish! That is certainly an unekspected bright spot among all this gloom and doom!

Good to know that international delivery is still functioning in the EU.

Your mask is very stylish. It appears that you... I don't know the sewing terms... created shapes that, when sewn together, match the contours of the nose and face, rather than being just a simple rectangular strip.

I actually like to think that my looks add to the gloom and doom (just a personal preference), but thank you anyways!

I didn't draft the pattern from the scratch, I got a few online and I'm just slightly adjusting them, to add the pocket for additional filters or enlarging the mask, as my dad and my cousin have quite big heads, so regular sizes are a tad small for them. The advantage of rectangular masks is that they fit pretty much everyone, while these shaped ones must be sewn for the person who will be wearing them.

(03-19-2020, 09:56 AM)dargosmydaddy Wrote: [ -> ]I love your mask! Practical and stylish! Who knows, mask couture might become a thing now, and you'll be at the front of the trend smile

I have a plague doctor mask somewhere from a costume party I went to a few years ago... wonder how freaky it would be to wear that out in public?

Thank you!!!

Oh, plague doctor mask is a brilliant idea! I might look into it... I need to be able to basically boil these, to keep them clean, and plague doctor mask would need some sort of interfacing to keep shape (and I can't work with leather), so I don't know how well would it take the boiling, but my, I can't get this idea out of my head!

(03-19-2020, 09:59 AM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]The newcomer is very cute.

Keep safe, dear!

Thank you!

I will. The virus itself isn't really a problem (despite all my health issues, I deal with viroses pretty well, either I don't catch them, or I have very mild symptoms), it's the stuffy atmosphere in the whole country, our incompetent government and and everything being sold out that gets to me most. But hey, jellyfish are very resilient creatures, so I'm sure I'll be fine. wink

(03-19-2020, 02:48 PM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]Fantastic to see a real neon selfie! You don’t look at all corpse like!

Thank you!

Day 79

Sui photoshoot! I want to give her a new name, but I haven't decided on it yet.

[Image: f193ee364de916763ba1175f5f24c5be.jpg]

Sui with her complete gear - she's a kitchen fairy, she comes with a wok pan and a ladle.

[Image: 88ef92f1392f9a3777c91e44ed71685e.jpg]

This is what her outfit looks like without apron, the top is separate from the skirt. Her odango buns are attached with really scary teeny tiny hairpins, if they ever fall down, I won't try to put them back again, putting them on once was nerve-wracking.

[Image: 2d8d10d8996c346063316bca6553a2ba.jpg]

Her hair is very pretty. It's soft and rather thick, for a doll this small. It's a blend of pink with strawberry blonde and a dash of ginger. She's going to count as (pink-ish) ginger in my collection, so my army of redheads has a new member.

[Image: 976811fe14a863e3582a16e7c52dd8a1.jpg]

Lil' Fairies can pose and stand on their own very well.

As of today, only senior citizens (65 and above) are allowed to enter stores between 10am and noon, it is supposed to protect them from encountering the virus, but I'm afraid that it won't help, as they like to treat stores like coffee shops, forming groups and chatting. I'm afraid that this new rule will just create clusters of the most vulnerable demographic. I think that making sure they can get all the necessities delivered to their homes would be better...

As of this writing, Czech Republic has 572 cases of COVID-19, six serious ones, no deaths, three people have fully recovered.

EDIT:

Czech firefighters who are picking up Czech citizens stuck in various countries make the best of the situation. It's a twitter video, so I can only post a link, not the video itself.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1240228010583904259
'Odango buns,' so that's what those hair things are called, huh? Some of the Pinky Street figures had them.

The local post office is our equivalent of the "old people coffee shop" gathering space.

"I have the resilience of a jellyfish" doesn't sound particularly inspiring at first thought, but upon consideration, knowing what I do about cœlenterates (I wrote a report about them when I was in the third grade, and I've remembered a fair amount since then), it is quite a powerful statement. I would like to see the classic "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster revised to replace the royal crown with a jellyfish.
Aw, she's adorable.

I was thinking of the odango buns as "the two little hat thingies," so thanks for educating me smile
Odango (dango is a rice dumpling) buns are actually any asian-style twin buns, they don't have to be covered. As far as I know, there isn't a special name for covered buns or the covers themselves, they're just bun covers, and the hairstyle is always called the same, covers or not.
She’s so cute, and an excellent addition to your redhead army.

As a kitchen fairy, it’s really neat that she comes with appropriate accessories.
Quote:Odango (dango is a rice dumpling) buns are actually any asian-style twin buns, they don't have to be covered. As far as I know, there isn't a special name for covered buns or the covers themselves, they're just bun covers, and the hairstyle is always called the same, covers or not.

Then I will call them odango bun hat thingies smile
Oh, she is such an adorable little one! Something about her smile suggests she might be up for a little bit of mischief.
She's cute!  Cool that she stands so well on her own and poses nicely.  She has a nice pastel colour combination too.

(03-19-2020, 10:27 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]As of today, only senior citizens (65 and above) are allowed to enter stores between 10am and noon, it is supposed to protect them from encountering the virus, but I'm afraid that it won't help, ... I think that making sure they can get all the necessities delivered to their homes would be better...
Agree.  Because if the virus lives on surfaces for how long? they could get into it on shopping carts & so on.  Although that could happen any flu season too.
There's now some doubt that our provincial health dept. really has a 'tattle line', & perhaps someone posted the health info number on facebook and it took off with the misinformation.
However, in Newfoundland, if you don't self-isolate, you could face a fine or jail time!!
(03-20-2020, 08:40 AM)dargosmydaddy Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Odango (dango is a rice dumpling) buns are actually any asian-style twin buns, they don't have to be covered. As far as I know, there isn't a special name for covered buns or the covers themselves, they're just bun covers, and the hairstyle is always called the same, covers or not.

Then I will call them odango bun hat thingies smile

It's also called the "ox-horn hairstyle" in China, iirc. But odango is what Sailor Moon's are called, which popularized it.
She does need a new name. She’s not a Sui.
Thank you very much, guys!

Day 80

Equinox time! On my hemisphere, it's the vernal one, officially launching spring, and boy, what a spring it is!

[Image: 5ce47483bc023c61a11c7c43e177c338.jpg]

Ashlynn's eyes match with the poster, but it's not very visible on this photo...

[Image: 1929f84c91b1a74f20963e9981d414d2.jpg]

We're back to chaos. Turns out govt wasn't clear enough about under what circumstances we can leave our homes, and the way they're trying to clear that up is just making things more confusing. The senior-shopping time was shifted to earlier in the morning, shortage of cotton and elastic cords, TP, and some other stuff continues. Our main crisis-solving guy said that one-use surgical masks will be hard to supply, so we should wear home-made cotton ones. I wonder if he knows about the cotton shortage... The overall mood is grim, people are shrouded in omnipresent malaise. I'm afraid that this muggy atmosphere will end up causing more harm than the virus itself.

As of this writing, Czech Republic has 774 cases of COVID-19, five serious ones, no deaths, four people have fully recovered.
Two doodles a week? Doodle Thursdays?

Your drawing is pretty. Let us hope it is a harbinger of a true spring!
The doodle is so lovely!
It's a great doodle. I like the pink shading that suggests a burst of spring life coming behind the flower.
I hope things get better there. I agree, the panic and confusion could end up causing more harm than the virus itself in the long term. I just had to politely tell someone that the 7-year-old photo she shared on Facebook is shipwreck victims and not in fact coffins of COVID-19 victims... slash
(03-21-2020, 05:11 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]Two doodles a week? Doodle Thursdays?

Your drawing is pretty. Let us hope it is a harbinger of a true spring!

Of course not! This isn't even the first non-Tuesday doodle this year, extras will pop up from time to time.

Thank you!

(03-21-2020, 06:00 AM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]The doodle is so lovely!

Thank you very much!

(03-21-2020, 01:14 PM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]It's a great doodle.  I like the pink shading that suggests a burst of spring life coming behind the flower.
I hope things get better there.  I agree, the panic and confusion could end up causing more harm than the virus itself in the long term.  I just had to politely tell someone that the 7-year-old photo she shared on Facebook is shipwreck victims and not in fact coffins of COVID-19 victims...  slash

Thank you!!!

And... WHAT? Wow. That's... insane, but not in a good way.

Day 81

Today is International Day of Forests. I've been wanting to go outside and take the 'forests day' photo since my first challenge in 2018, but the weather is always absolutely not dolly photo-firendly. So I chose different approach. In EAH canon, Cerise, Ginger and Faybelle are all from the Dark Forest, so their group pic could count as forest-themed.

[Image: 142ee2bdd76b35ebcfadf3b84f149cca.jpg]

My phone camera is giving me some troubles lately, the focus is getting weaker and the contrast is getting more and more, well, contrasty... so the photos have over-ex²posed spots even with low lighting.

As of this writing, Czech Republic has 925 cases of COVID-19, five serious ones, no deaths, four people have fully recovered. The rest of the chaos continues with constant velocity.