Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ha ha, well they do get high on the lavender, right...? And that peach lavender jam sounds absolutely amazing. Two very elegant looking ladies, love all the purple tones. Graduated filters do wonders for too-bright backgrounds and too-dark foregrounds.
Are they ruffled-edged flowers? We had a little pot of that type a few years ago and the flowers looked so pretty.

And gorgeous Raven
I feel Raven is the cult's queen.
(06-19-2020, 01:56 AM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Both look fantastic, but I love the way the lavender colours pop in the first.

Thnak you!!!

(06-19-2020, 02:36 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]Quite an ominous and intimidating image.

Until I realized that the acronym for the Lavender Order of Chosen Ones would be LOCO, after which it became much harder for me to maintain a proper level of decorum.

We actually discussed the LOCO acronym last year, too, and I suggested associating it with The Fool - El Loco - Tarot card, to keep it mysterious. But nothing in this dollhousehold is ever really serious, even if it isn't part of Oddwickshire, so don't worry about proper levels of decorum or other similar nonsense wink

(06-19-2020, 03:12 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Ha ha, well they do get high on the lavender, right...?  And that peach lavender jam sounds absolutely amazing.  Two very elegant looking ladies, love all the purple tones.  Graduated filters do wonders for too-bright backgrounds and too-dark foregrounds.

Thank you! Peach lavender jam is the best jam. I'm afraid filters wouldn't help with this, we're not talking too light or too dark, we're talking areas with nothing but white or black. Trying to darken or lighten them leads to grey. There's no 'information' in those areas of the photo, they're like bucket-filled with one color. That's just how my phone handles these things. To be fair, I do use it A LOT, no wonder it's starting to give. All of my ADAD challenges were/are done with this phone.

(06-19-2020, 07:27 AM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]Are they ruffled-edged flowers?  We had a little pot of that type a few years ago and the flowers looked so pretty.

And gorgeous Raven

This is Hidcote lavender, very nice variety of English lavender (never understood why it's called English when it's a Mediterranean plant). It's wonderful, the bushes are very even and compact, the color is rich, and the scent is very strong and lasts long even after drying. But they're more ex!pensive than common English lavender, because they're harder to, er, propagate? My English is failing me. I don't mean marketing, I mean gaining new plants.

(06-19-2020, 07:36 AM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]I feel Raven is the cult's queen.

She is!

Day 171

Nefera and her best friend.

[Image: 75b38f5bbab684c644146bb01dfec477.jpg]

[Image: b04728d95744a868bc2562b56c06938c.jpg]
Now that is a fantastic image! I like how you use the different versions as mirroring each other here. Plus you manage to get the best angle for those cheekbones!
Yes, "propagate" is the English term for cultivating additional plants from an original.

After I posted my comment I recalled the "loco" discussion. So I'm not entirely senile yet. And I don't always repeat myself. And I'm not entirely senile yet.

What a lovely portrait of... of Nefera and her friend! Difficult to say which is the more stunning. (Dangerous to say one is more stunning than the other, more like!) The second version is particularly striking with the higher contrast and muted yet somehow still intense colors.
Thank you both!!!

Day 172

Happy solstice, everyone! I wanted to do a poster, like I did for equinox, but I'm really not in the mood, so here's more Lavender Cult.

[Image: 661579ee1c9628b62920dec0263be8e5.jpg]

[Image: 56b70efd8442c8f84a21f3120f259afd.jpg]
The top picture has this appropriately eerie feel for a member of the Lavender Cult
Is the solstice a significant date for the Lavender Cult? The lavender blossoms certainly appear to be in full bloom.

I find the solstice somewhat discouraging, because while it feels like summer has scarcely begun (in the northern hemisphere), the daylight hours will now be growing shorter.
Oooo, pretty.  My one tiny little lavender survived the winter but I don’t know whether it will bloom. Have to wait and see.  Nefera & friend are two very striking ladies.
What davidd  said about the solstice… I was thinking that just last night.  slash   There’s a tiny bit of light still in the sky at nearly 10 PM; it’s wonderful.
A lavender doll amongst the lavender. There’s another use for it; camouflage.
I’m sad - I had a wonderful and waffle post about Nefera & our ruffled lavender flowers, but the internet ate it sad

Spectra looks great against the flowers too.
(06-20-2020, 09:35 PM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]The top picture has this appropriately eerie feel for a member of the Lavender Cult

Thank you!!!

(06-21-2020, 02:16 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]Is the solstice a significant date for the Lavender Cult? The lavender blossoms certainly appear to be in full bloom.

I find the solstice somewhat discouraging, because while it feels like summer has scarcely begun (in the northern hemisphere), the daylight hours will now be growing shorter.

Not really, the blossoms are actually already withering (my ladies have been in bloom for over a month now, I just never got to taking photos), it's about time to cut them. I guess we (the Cult) could make solstice the Sacred Ritual of the First Cut. Lavender can bloom twice a year in our climate, assuming I don't mess up the cut. We shall see how well I fared around the beginning of September.

My vampire skin actually welcomes shorter days (and the rest of me welcomes the lower temperatures they bring, anything above 24°C is torture for me), but I can relate to your pain a little bit, it's easier to get up when it's not completely dark outside.

(06-21-2020, 03:23 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Oooo, pretty.  My one tiny little lavender survived the winter but I don’t know whether it will bloom. Have to wait and see.  Nefera & friend are two very striking ladies.
What davidd  said about the solstice… I was thinking that just last night.  slash   There’s a tiny bit of light still in the sky at nearly 10 PM; it’s wonderful.

Thank you!!

My lavender is so frost-hardy it actually still grows during winter (mind you, the winter here is nothing compared to your winter), but it does require a lot of sunshine.

(06-21-2020, 11:10 AM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]A lavender doll amongst the lavender. There’s another use for it; camouflage.

Oooh, interesting idea! It's not just the Spanish Inquisition, nobody ex²pects The Lavender Order of Chosen Ones! Our cushions are not only soft, they're stuffed with lavender, so they help you to calm down and fall asleep! And our black and purple uniforms are even nicer than the red ones, oh damn!

(06-21-2020, 12:17 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]I’m sad - I had a wonderful and waffle post about Nefera & our ruffled lavender flowers, but the internet ate it sad

Spectra looks great against the flowers too.

This happens to me, too.

Thank you!

Day 173

This thread needs more Origins pack.

[Image: 2ac71500407c2dab0edaeb321270fd5a.jpg]

This is the NON-filtered pic. Ghoulia's hair just likes to troll.

This is the filtered one:

[Image: 813a52d8083828261eb2e3375b8c5e84.jpg]
I love the Ghoulia in this pack, she’s definitely been missing in the thread recently.
This is such a cool set! I'm happy you left the figures stock and that you share such excellent photos of them from time to time. That way I can enjoy them vicariously.