Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The white / grey of her hair is beautiful against th3 black background.
Thank you for your kind comments, everyone!

Day 208

[Image: 0fd82b44dd83a63d014e02b4389682a6.jpg]
Ah Ghoulia the perfect model!

Seriously, everything about her here is so model-esque. This was a fantastic release.
Two pretty models; both look rather thoughtful.
Very cool how the eyeglasses serve to accentuate her eyes even though the eyes are partly in shadow. Ghoulia is looking both glamorous and mysterious, as though she is a secret agent or a spy; someone you will end up trusting even though you know you shouldn't.
Thank you, guys!

Day 209

And, of course, Cleo.

[Image: d4a1024f9635413ad8a6e3119f0da569.jpg]
Cleo looks every bit the princess she is
This is such a great 2-pack, it’s probably my favourite release of hers.
So much marvelous gold in this release. And on her headdress... is that Cthulhu?
I love the eye makeup.
Ah, I really love these dolls, and this set. I have to admit that the set flew under my radar, and while I remember seeing pictures of this version of Ghoulia somewhere already before, I don't think I've ever come across Cleo. I only learned about this set by looking it up just now - the box and the setup already look gorgeous, and the dolls themselves have so much thought put into them - such a shame in comparison to the already dying playline that Monster High has become by 2017 sad
Thank you very much, guys!!!

(07-28-2020, 01:50 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]So much marvelous gold in this release. And on her headdress... is that Cthulhu?

No, it's a really convoluted cobra with a crown on its head.

(07-28-2020, 09:48 PM)Loona Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, I really love these dolls, and this set. I have to admit that the set flew under my radar, and while I remember seeing pictures of this version of Ghoulia somewhere already before, I don't think I've ever come across Cleo. I only learned about this set by looking it up just now - the box and the setup already look gorgeous, and the dolls themselves have so much thought put into them - such a shame in comparison to the already dying playline that Monster High has become by 2017 sad

This 2pack was meant to be SDCC exclusive, which is why it's so much better. Then Mattel decided to exclude MH from their SDCC presentation, so it ended up as Mattel Store exclusive. It was impossible to get it outside of the US, you needed someone to buy it and send it to you.

Day 210

ADAW #29
This is a result of an image search that started with Hokusai's The Great Wave and, for reasons unknown, ended with covers of Paperbacks From Hell.

[Image: f395276a37b27f592889a31c2f18ec05.jpg]

There's isn't that much detail in this, so I don't think a close-up is necessary. I definitely didn't forget to take it and I'm not too lazy to climb up to the top shelf for the playset again.

You can skip the following blabber, it's just a silly idea about what kind of book would have this drawing as a cover.

I think this would be one of those cheap horror books that make you wonder whether the cover was based on the story, or the other way around. I think it's about two sisters whose car breaks on a dark and stormy night, luckily, they spot lights in windows of a crumbling gothic manor nearby, and decide to go there to seek shelter. The family who lives there welcomes them and seems nice, but there's something mysterious about them, almost as if they were hiding a secret! Especially mysterious is the especially handsome son (the youngest of three, I think his name is Theodore, and his brothers are Victor and Rufus), and the younger of the two sisters, Anna, falls in love with him the second she sees him, because this is a gothic horror, people! He, of course, also falls for her the second he sees her. This is a gothic horror.

The older sister's name is Bertha and that means she must die before page 30. And she happily obliges! When she wakes up in the middle of the night thirsty and goes to get some water (lighting her way with a single candle, like you do, eventhough the electricity works just fine) she spots a weird glow in the garden and feels like she must search for its source ASAP, despite the storm still being as strong as in the first paragraph.

Anna is very distraught by her sister's disappearance. That makes her all the more vulnerable to Theodore's charms, and Rufus gets really jealous and starts concocting a scheme to get rid of his younger brother and snatch the beautiful Anna for himself (did I mention she's beautiful?). Theodore warns Anna to stay away from the lake in the garden, but he cannot, must not ex!plain why! Later her puts a letter under her door asking her to elope with him, for she is not safe here, and to meet him in the great hall at midnight. He could just knock on the door and talk to her, but somebody could hear them, and more importantly, this is a gothic horror!

Rufus spots the letter, takes it, and replaces it with a new one, telling Anna to go to the lake instead. And she happily obliges! She could ask Theodore why is it suddenly OK to go there, but somebody could hear them, and more importantly, this is a-
So Anna arrives to the lake, but what is the meaning of this? The one waiting for her is Rufus, and not her beloved Theodore! He tries to persuade her to elope with him, she refuses, and while they're arguing, the lake starts glowing and bubbling and moving and moaning and getting all slimy, and Rufus threatens to throw Anna in there if she doesn't do as he says. She screams 'neveeeer!', because that's way more fun than trying to trick him and get to safety or just run away, and just as he pushes her towards the lake, Theodore pops up (in only partially buttoned up shirt and a  cape flailing most dramatically), saves Anna and right-hooks Rufus into the glowing slimy depths. The lake turns back to normal.

Theodore then ex-plains that one of his ancestors tried summoning some sort of demon in order to gain powers that would bring him infinite wealth, but drowned under mysterious circumstances, as well as the full moon, a year and a day later, and since then, the family prospered, but they have to sacrifice people to their ancestor, lest a curse befalls them! However, Theodore is sick of it and wants to stop the chain of murders, and Anna hugs him, and somehow it's dawn, eventhough it all happened right after midnight and the story about the slime lake wasn't that long, and they walk away hand in hand. No word on the rest of the family. Or what Anna's parents had to say about Bertha's death. I think they were fine with it. They did name her Bertha.

Alternatively, it could be a pulp adventure about slime monster born when a meteorite falls into a bay full of radioactive waste dumped there by a totalitarian regime, and armies from around the world join forces to defeat it only to fail epically, but a walking personification of testosterone sporting a tank top, cargo pants, army boots, long-ish blond hair, a gloriously 80s headband and a one-syllable name like Sam or Max defeats the monster with a plain old submachine gun because he wants his peace and quiet. All while an incredibly hot chick clings onto his arm. I guess her name is Tracy, not that it matters any, she's only there to call his one-syllable name and... One more thing. Ehm.
I think you'd right in the idea of it being a cover for a horror novel. Maybe one emulating pulp horror?
OMG I am laughing so hard! I was totally riveted to the unfolding events of the as yet untitled gothic horror novel (which you may as well write, seeing as how you've pretty well sketched out the entire plot)... but then the terse sci-fi "elevator pitch" sent me in to hysterics!

You are dangerously funny. You know that, right? Is that your secret super power?

The one-eyed chick is freaktastic! As is your gothic (or sci-fi) horror novel cover. Altho' the sci-fi version would probably make a better made-for-TV sci-fi channel movie than it would a book... because, y'know, Tracy... so you'll have to convert the horror novel in to a movie poster. Double royalties from a single drawing! Score!
I thought you said once that you weren’t good at making up plots! Yes, you definitely should write this up. I LOL’d LOL
And it’s a fun doodle with a suitably unusual model.