Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yours are probably the European variety.
What you said way back when I posted the pic of the Gazette Æronautique newspaper featuring Beatrix on the cover. Yeah, that. That's what I'm saying now.

This how I wanted the wings on my sketch to look, but I couldn't get the geometry or the anatomy right. This is a marvelous illustration, as well as a cute portrait of Lala, and... I may need to copy and print this pic, too, to hang on the wall in Nelly's laboratory.

I'm glad that my crude illustration was able to convey that these elusive creatures do, indeed, have colorful crests on their heads. You did a much better job of capturing that detail. You must have managed to get a pretty close look. Perhaps there are still a few tantalizingly delectable brains cells swimming around in your skull amid the snot.
(08-12-2020, 06:41 AM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Ahhh, so there's variation in different countries! How interesting!

It is interesting! I mean, it's pretty normal for all kinds of organisms to look differently in various places, but Europe doesn't even have hummingbirds, the normal ones at least, but we do have these guys! Maybe they escaped from the laboratory of some mad scientist who imported them from somewhere else?

(08-12-2020, 08:04 AM)Loona Wrote: [ -> ]OK, I'm totally jealous now, these creatures look wonderful! We now sleep with the window open due to the heat, but all we get are flies, mosquitoes, and the occasional ground beetle. Oh, and the bats - but they stay outside (and sadly they are clearly not enough in numbers, oterwise we wouldn't have the previously listed 3 in the room).
I guess we also lack brains - probably Ghoulia and the Once Upon a Zombie dolls have already done the job during the nights?

I hear you on all the insect night visitors. I'm using that Raid / Biolit thingie that you put into socket and it disperses repellent. Works pretty well!
I once had a bat in the room, when I was visiting my grandma. Poor thing was so confused - the bat, not grandma - because the room was small and full of furniture, it must have messed up the bat's echolocation. Or maybe it was just curious... It fluttered around for about 20 minutes before finally flying out.
I must have lost my brain before I started collecting dolls, because my zombie squad never seemed to detect it. My migraines started when I was.. eleven? Twelve? I don't really remember... But that might be when my brain died... Or at least stopped looking tasty...

(08-12-2020, 08:07 AM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]Yours are probably the European variety.

I wonder how many varieties exist...

(08-12-2020, 12:33 PM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]What you said way back when I posted the pic of the Gazette Æronautique newspaper featuring Beatrix on the cover. Yeah, that. That's what I'm saying now.

This how I wanted the wings on my sketch to look, but I couldn't get the geometry or the anatomy right. This is a marvelous illustration, as well as a cute portrait of Lala, and... I may need to copy and print this pic, too, to hang on the wall in Nelly's laboratory.

I'm glad that my crude illustration was able to convey that these elusive creatures do, indeed, have colorful crests on their heads. You did a much better job of capturing that detail. You must have managed to get a pretty close look. Perhaps there are still a few tantalizingly delectable brains cells swimming around in your skull amid the snot.

wink

Thank you! Do you want me to scan it, so that it's better quality than this photo?

They did come pretty close, and I've seen them fly inside neighbors' window, so I guess they fed themselves and then they were just kinda chilling out in the trees around, so I had some time to watch them. I wonder if they were both males or whether females of this species have combs, too.

I think my cerebral snot is perfectly... cerebrum-free at this point, but it fizzes and bubbles quite a lot, I guess that's how I'm still capable of thinking...

Day 225

[Image: 624dcccad81c070bf4b6aa4ca2085633.jpg]

And those are my Groove redheads, the rest will be a mix of other brands. At the moment, there is one more named redhead in Oddwickshire, but it's an unshelled character. I'm sure more will force themselves into existence eventually.

Redheadcount:

Characters so far: 6
Dolls so far: 6
This photo gives a great sense of mystery!
This is a marvelously detailed steampunk costume... uniform... outfit... that looks fantastic even in extreme close-up! Your atmospheric lighting adds drama to the detail.
Quite mysterious & moody lighting; very nice.

The hummingbats are terrific! I could see these really taking off as a pop culture / fantasy idea smile
I'd like to sleep with my window open more often, (I think it's too cold for those critters in Canada) but my neighbour's f%&*^#)%@!! rooster starts in pretty early Irritated

Didn't we all say last time you posted Aurora about how fabulous her hair is?!
Her hair is fabulous.
(08-13-2020, 03:07 PM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]... but my neighbour's f%&*^#)%@!! rooster starts in pretty early.

Ah, Hawaii days in da country! Many houses in the neighborhood had "chickens" (meaning roosters) in the yard. Raising them was quite a popular and lucrative pastime. For "sporting purposes," you know.
Is there something about Oddwickshire that attracts redheads? Maybe a tribe of them settled the place? They’re nit Scottish, are they. The Scots tend towards red hair.
(08-13-2020, 12:12 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-12-2020, 08:04 AM)Loona Wrote: [ -> ]OK, I'm totally jealous now, these creatures look wonderful! We now sleep with the window open due to the heat, but all we get are flies, mosquitoes, and the occasional ground beetle. Oh, and the bats - but they stay outside (and sadly they are clearly not enough in numbers, oterwise we wouldn't have the previously listed 3 in the room).
I guess we also lack brains - probably Ghoulia and the Once Upon a Zombie dolls have already done the job during the nights?

I hear you on all the insect night visitors. I'm using that Raid / Biolit thingie that you put into socket and it disperses repellent. Works pretty well!
I once had a bat in the room, when I was visiting my grandma. Poor thing was so confused - the bat, not grandma - because the room was small and full of furniture, it must have messed up the bat's echolocation. Or maybe it was just curious... It fluttered around for about 20 minutes before finally flying out.
I must have lost my brain before I started collecting dolls, because my zombie squad never seemed to detect it. My migraines started when I was.. eleven? Twelve? I don't really remember... But that might be when my brain died... Or at least stopped looking tasty...
We haven't yet tried that sort out - maybe we should give it a go. If it only repels them, even better. The thing is, I don't like killing anything, not even a fly, I'd just like them to stay outside. And we never really had insect issues until this summer (minus the ants that have been here from the start. Garden ants in the city centre, on the 4th floor of a 100+ year old block. Go figure), so we didn't even have to think of ways to repel them. This strange year however, has come with an overpopulation of insects - one hand is enough for me to count how many mosquitoes we've had in the flat in total in the past years. The same goes for flies. But this year there isn't a single day that passes without at least one of either (or more likely: both) of these getting in. There was one afternoon a few weeks ago when we had at least 7 flies doing their group dance under the chandelier - it felt like 80's summer days at my grandmother's house in the countryside, just without the love and nostalgy. We used to have a lot of swallows that ate these up during the day - I don't hear or see as many now, which kinda ex-plains how the insects managed to grow in numbers. The bats are still here, but they aren't enough (and the insects have already gotten in by the time they wake up).

I'm happy to hear the batty managed to fly out. We never had a bat come in, but I do know people who had, and they all said the poor thing was so confused and scared and couldn't get out - they had to catch it and take it outside (though hearing your story, probably they were too impatient with the poor fluffy pal and didn't leave them enough time to get out my themselves?). I'd rather not make them go through a shocking ex-perience like this if possible.

That outfit seems so majestic! And I really like the mysterious angle and lighting of the photo.
Variations across continents makes perfect sense. I wonder what the ones down here look like? Probably grey / green / brown like our landscape.
Mysterious and handsome are excellent words for this person.
Thank you very much, everyone!

(08-13-2020, 03:07 PM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]I'd like to sleep with my window open more often, (I think it's too cold for those critters in Canada) but my neighbour's f%&*^#)%@!! rooster starts in pretty early Irritated 

I'd actually prefer a rooster that starts in too early, my street is one of the busiest in Prague, it's the only way to the airport, so it's a 24/7 party here -  non-stop four lane car stream plus two lane tramway. I especially love the bikers who seem to think that their roaring motors are extra cool at 2am. On the other side of the house, there is a tram depo, not just the parking type, the type with workshops, also operating 24/7. It's actually so noisy it's unhealthy, but the only possible solution are windows with extra insulation, which don't let in any air. This is an old and badly constructed building (from right after the war, when there was a severe lack of housing) and it gets way too hot in summer, it's like living in an oven. I find the noise slightly less lethal than the heat, so I prefer to open the windows, even if I keep waking up because of the noise. It does get a bit quieter between 1am and 3-4am, but it's still far from quiet.During the quarantine, when there were no flights, it was so quiet it felt unreal, but now, the buzz is back in its full strength.

(08-13-2020, 07:29 PM)Loona Wrote: [ -> ]We haven't yet tried that sort out - maybe we should give it a go. If it only repels them, even better. The thing is, I don't like killing anything, not even a fly, I'd just like them to stay outside. 

I think they kill mosquitoes and really small insects with windows closed, but they don't kill flies, they just numb them, so they don't want to fly. I'm a bit allergic to it, so I can only use it with open windows, and then it really does repel most insects from flying in, but some still do and if they get too close to the dispenser, they can die. I don't know about any repellent-only brands, all of them seem to kill at least the mosquitoes, so you'll probably need to do some research.

Day 226

[Image: d25a8124dedaef9d0d4095df1b86d661.jpg]

Redheadcount:

Characters so far: 7
Dolls so far: 7
She looks so serene here! And her hair just flows down so beautifully!
Lovely portrait. I can't tell if she is feeling melancholy or contemplative.

Or... or she's trying to appear politely interested while someone drones on and on and she can feel her eyes starting to close and she's trying to force them to stay open and oh no I feel a yawn coming on...!
(08-13-2020, 11:00 PM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]She looks so serene here! And her hair just flows down so beautifully!

Thank you!

(08-14-2020, 01:25 PM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]Lovely portrait. I can't tell if she is feeling melancholy or contemplative.

Or... or she's trying to appear politely interested while someone drones on and on and she can feel her eyes starting to close and she's trying to force them to stay open and oh no I feel a yawn coming on...!

Haha, she's just trying to look demure for the photo, and that's not really her thing.

Day 227

[Image: b3d87f8bae4544d0cb4bfe3890c21572.jpg]

Redheadcount:

Characters so far: 8
Dolls so far: 8