Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Mr. Steel looks very intent on this project.
(01-06-2020, 01:57 PM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]I find myself wondering what would happen if he & the Smart Dolls ended up working together... 

Conflict. On many levels.

(01-06-2020, 03:27 PM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]He looks like he breaks things, rather than fixing or building them.

That is an accurate assessment of Mr. Steel's approach to almost everything.

(01-06-2020, 05:52 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]I have a feeling that 2020's iteration of your Pork Tenderloin a Day is going to be totally rad.

I am hoping to feature a greater variety of figures this year with fewer repeats. Of course, we're not even a full week in to the New Year yet, so that may change.
I want to create a spreadsheet, or at least a list, like you use with your ADAD projects.

[Image: january6a.jpg]
6 January - Found This at Walmart Today

[Image: january6b.jpg]

I found this cool Forbidden Planet Robby the Robot at Walmart today while grocery shopping, for only $19.89 USD. The robot stands about 13 inches (33cm) tall, is made of plastic, and it speaks phrases from the classic sci-fi movie and lights up. According to the box it also walks.

Check out that awesome packaging, based on the original 1950s movie poster art! Pretty racy stuff for the toy aisle at Walmart! The box is so cool I kind of don't want to open it up. But it looks like the robot can be removed without destroying the box. I seriously considered buying two of them, one to open and one to keep NRFB, just because of the box art. But I do not have the space or the resources to be hoarding boxed toys and dolls anymore.

GAH!  Rawr! I just looked on eBay! These things are selling for between $65 USD and $120 USD! Those are selling prices! I seriously thought about buying the other two they had on the shelf, thinking that $20 was possibly a pricing error.

The Walmart is 1-1/2 hours away by car, one way, so it's not really worth the cost in time and gasoline to make the round-trip drive in the hope that the other two are still on the shelf tomorrow. And the high price could be a result of initial scarcity, and prices may drop quickly.

I knew I should have bought them all! I am such an idiot!

Oh well. For those of you who may not consider robots to be dolls, here are some dolls:

[Image: january6c.jpg]
Pinky Street Kira Kira Music Hour Pucchi Figures

The Pucchi figure was originally released with a Nintendo DS game called Kira Kira Music Hour in Japan. The figures, both loose and boxed with the game, quickly became quite ex-pensive on the secondary market. More ex-pensive than a Walmart Robby the Robot, even! Like, over $100 USD ex-pensive! Then, over the past few years as interest in Pinky Street has evaporated, prices declined. Recently, however, the figures are becoming more scarce and prices are beginning to climb again. Asking prices, at least. I can find no recent eBay "sold item" listings.

Dolls and toys: buy them for FUN, not as investments! Worrying about the "value" quickly saps the enjoyment from the hobby.
Yep, buy them for fun. But if Walmart still had the robots next time I went to the store, I'd grab them! Funny to see that on a Walmart shelf today; I bet most of the people who see it would have no clue about the movie. I haven't seen it but have heard of it and did recognize the robot. The Pinkys are cute.
Ooh, spreadsheets are just Way Too Much Work for me... but then so is ADAD LOL
Robots are dolls, but having said that, I prefer the pinkies.
That’s a cool toy to have found on the shelf.

And Pinky’s are always fun to see.
Robby is cute! And cool! So are Pinky St ladies!

Yes, toys and dolls should definitely be about fun.

I do recommend making a spreadsheet, it's making this whole hurly-burly way easier to keep up with. They're great for both jotting down what you have posted and for planning ahead.
Robot and Pinkies are awesome!

I don't have a spreadsheet, I have a word doc. It's the same principal.
(01-08-2020, 03:26 AM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]I don't have a spreadsheet, I have a word doc.

That is more in alignment with what I will likely do.

[Image: january7.jpg]
7 January – Maudlynne says "Bring it On, Babe!"
So, are you doodling too?
Y'all are way more organized than me. If the week's nearly gone and I haven't taken a photo in the random course of things, Imma fire off a snapshot of someone and call it done smile
Oooooh, this is going to be interesting!

ETA: Her Insane Majesty says she's very pleased with your / Maudsie's decision to join the doodle challenge as she's always looking for new ways to bring more culture to her queendom.
Doodling as well? With Maudlynne on the job it will be very organised.
Doodling sounds like a fun thing to do - it’s a pity that I failed miserably at Art / Drawing at school.

Maudsie will keep you on the straight-and-narrow with the challenge, I bet.
Congratulations at joining in the doodle a week challenge! I'm sure you'll manage much more than I would.
(01-09-2020, 04:29 AM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Congratulations at joining in the doodle a week challenge! I'm sure you'll manage much more than I would.

You'll be doing it, too. You apparently just don't know it yet. Ask Wednesday to invite Ophelia to provide the drawings. Ophelia will be flattered, and will never notice if everyone snickers behind her back. And if she were to notice, simply ex-plain to her that a "snicker doodle" is a type of delicious dessert pastry and she will be distracted.
[Image: january8.jpg]
8 January – The Steel Hand Dojo®

Some years ago, the Steel Hand Dojo® sent top members of the Steel Hand Clan™ on tour to promote investment in Steel Hand Dojo® franchises.

Was there a Steel Hand Dojo® in your town? Not that you recall? Yeah, well....