Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Oh my, that is a rather ominous illustration. I see the top of the Mobil logo… What’s the story? I could list a whole lot of amusing [?] observations of people not using masks properly from the event I was at last night. It was a bit ridiculous.
And you even have little aliens in your collection! That’s such a fun photo.
I commented of the UFO one on IG - I thought it was very clever.

And Nellies natural state is lecturing / pontificating, isn’t it?
Problem with masks is that there will always be someone who doesn't use them properly, also, people tend to confuse protecting themselves vs. protecting others. Homemade cotton mask is meant to stop majority of virus you'd spit out, it won't protect you.

I had fun with masks, I even came up with special pattern for my dad, because he sports quite a big, bushy beard, and normal masks wouldn't fit him. My favorite thing about having to wear a mask (we don't have to anymore, with a few specific exceptions) was that I could look like a bank robber and it was perfectly acceptable. Advantages of being mentally still only eleven yay

That picture is awesome! It might look like apocalypse to us, but I bet that for Nellie, it's a mundane scene.
That is an amazing illustration. I can only assume that Nelly's lectures are very informative.
(07-04-2020, 07:28 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]My favorite thing about having to wear a mask (we don't have to anymore, with a few specific exceptions) was that I could look like a bank robber and it was perfectly acceptable. Advantages of being mentally still only eleven.

That is a very good point. Out here in "cowboy country," where a lot of people wear western style hats, it is now quite acceptable to walk around looking like you're planning to hold up a stagecoach or rob a train. Masks or face coverings are "strongly encouraged" here but are not, at the moment, mandatory.

[Image: july4.jpg]
4 July – Mattel American Beauties "George Washington" Barbie
That is a very cool looking doll.
That’s extraordinary.
Ahh, I remember when we were talking about her here a couple years ago, because I was wondering about her coat for PUDDLE's "dress like your doll" contest... that was before I ended up making one.
She's cool. Did you have her then or did you recently get her?, I forget. I'm curious what they used for the buttons -- stick-on things or what? (I ended up using tiny framing-nail heads.)
Taaake her out of the boxxxx! LOL
(07-05-2020, 01:52 PM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Ahh, I remember when we were talking about her here a couple years ago, because I was wondering about her coat for PUDDLE's "dress like your doll" contest... that was before I ended up making one.

Yes, that's right! You asked some questions about the jacket because you were looking for one in a similar style... for a pirate jacket!

George Washington Barbie was an "influence buy" a couple of years ago here on the forum during one of the earlier Doll A Day challenges. Somebody posted one - I don't remember who - and I decided I needed one, especially when they turned out to be inex-pensive on eBay.

As for your other question about the drawing, that is a political cartoon I cut out of an issue of an independent local newspaper from the 1990s that I found in a box of junk a while back. In the margins are the names of a number of "multi-national corporations." The drawing was some kind of commentary on the collusion between the Bush administration and the oil companies and other big businesses to incite and wage an endless war in the Middle East.

I looked up the artist online. In the early '90s he was doing political cartoons to syndicate to local "progressive" newspapers around the country - back when newspapers were a thing and progressivism was more about intelligent, reasoned discourse than spray paint and looting. He ended up becoming a "big time" artist providing cover art for major mainstream magazines like Time and stuff.

And coincidentally... now I wish I could remember the name of the artist... the original artwork for this drawing was available for sale on his website. It was a small work, an 8x8 inch linoleum block print, priced at $600. Would have been kinda cool to own the original, but for $600, I'll stick with the newspaper version.
Did the George Washington Barbie have companions eg other Presidents? I’m trying to imagine what some would look like dressed in “Barbie-pink”. LOL
Happy 4 July!

I agree with Lejays, pink Presidents would be funny and awesome.
I have to add an agreement here, regarding other pink presidents. My google searches are just showing me the constant President Barbie dolls, but not Barbies as Presidents.
Yeah, Pink Barbie George Washington is pretty funny. I'm not aware of any other Barbie Barbies modeled after specific American (or other country's) presidents.
It would make for an amusing series, I'm sure! Some of the Presidents are rather iconic as a result of their fashions: Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt come to mind as possibilities for the Barbie treatment that would likely be instantly recognizable.

[Image: july5.jpg]
5 July – Janie and Triv assemble a DIY picnic table kit
These girls are amazing!
They are so industrious.