Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I thought that was a very large jar off peanuts as well. And is concerning that the devil doll is getting their own minions.

This Lala is cute, but it always surprises me how much yellow she has. I associate yellow with Frankie or Lagoona. And while Cleo is also yellow, she will inform you that it’s Gold, which is totally different
Your new arrival is out of the box already!? Wow! LOL
(07-25-2020, 12:29 PM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Your new arrival is out of the box already!?  Wow!  LOL

Purchased pre-owned, so she arrived de-boxed.
Although if you mean the shipping carton... yeah, I still have at least a... no, it's more than a couple, now that I think about it... unopened parcels around here.
Congrats!

She has too much yellow for me, but I still think Forbitten Love 2pack was one of top MH releases, and I love her profoundly 'lolita' dress. They toned that aspect down in her later releases, as well as the victorian / romantic goth aesthetic, and I think that was a shame. She was the one who could pull those looks off, why not let her? Oh well.
Ahhh fantastic! You have the frilliest Lucrezia too!

Wait, sorry, no, it's Draculaura. LOL.

I really really love this release, though I need to mend the tights on mine. I noticed last night there is a tear in them.
(07-25-2020, 09:40 PM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]I really really love this release, though I need to mend the tights on mine. I noticed last night there is a tear in them.

This one has a loose bit of lace that I did not notice until after I had taken the photos. I tried to dodge it out using photo-editing tools, with limited success. I'll need to fix that.

I did not realize there were different levels of frilly-ness! I guess I just got lucky.

This one came with a pet, as well, a "flying bulldog" sort of thing. Rockseena, I see that it is called. Originally belonged to Clawd Wolf.
(07-25-2020, 08:00 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]I love her profoundly 'lolita' dress. They toned that aspect down in her later releases, as well as the victorian / romantic goth aesthetic, and I think that was a shame. 

I know! First Wave Ulla D's flirty Victorian goth style was one of the details that originally attracted me to the MH line. Later on, the design aesthetic trended toward colorful & cute, abandoning the more stylish aspects that made the early releases so engaging.

[Image: july25.jpg]
25 July – Lazy blurry grainy quick shelf shot

The stands that come with these 1/12 scale TBLeague figs are quite high quality, with a flexible stem and a spring-loaded clamp to hold the figure.

My recent photos, however, have not been high quality. They'll get better... eventually... maybe... but probably not right away. Thanks for commenting anyway, guys. You are very kind. But seriously, it's fine to ignore the crummy ones.
The stands are one of ,y issues with the Pullips, even using the stands it can be hard to get them to stand right, and don’t get me started on the plastic MH ones.
Stands are a plague in this dollhousehold. MH and EAH one randomly break (plus they're too light and sometimes too tight, so they damage clothing) and Pullip ones have been bad from the very start.

Don't worry about 'crummy' photos, nobody ex§pects you to take 366 high quality photos, because that's simply not possible, and not the point of the challenge anyway. The point is to stick with it! Plus, there's more to a good photo than just technical quality. Even your 'bad' snaps are great, thanks to the quirky models and fun themes!
What neon said. No one ex.pects fantastic pictures every day! Also being right in that 'bad' snaps are also great because they somehow gain an atmosphere for their own.

Stands though, stands can be just awful.
Snapshots are allowed… Hope things are going, well, mostly OK…

(Went off and googled 1/12 figures… Wow, the articulation looks really amazing! Are they really that poseable? Are there “legit“ ones and knock-offs?, Or are all the ones on eBay legit? I wonder what my mini crew would say to the addition of one of these? Uh-oh, better not show them that there are guys as well, ha ha! LOL
I wonder how long the “skin“ holds up without getting holes… I know you said something about them in the past, and something about the skin being very rubbery.…)
(07-26-2020, 03:50 PM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]The stands are one of my issues with the Pullips, even using the stands it can be hard to get them to stand right, and don’t get me started on the plastic MH ones.

Yeah, I have a lot of trouble with Pullip stands. I'm always impressed by the group photos you and LeJays put together, and by neon's effective use of Pullip stands on her dolls with elaborate, and heavy, costumes.

(07-26-2020, 05:52 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Don't worry about 'crummy' photos, nobody ex§pects you to take 366 high quality photos, because that's simply not possible...

Your results even when laboring under the burden of headaches and illness suggest that high quality daily photos are, indeed, possible if one is sufficiently motivated (and talented helps).
Tongue

(07-26-2020, 09:29 PM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Also being right in that 'bad' snaps are also great because they somehow gain an atmosphere for their own.

Well, that's true. Sometimes you can layer on the filters to get an "interesting," if not "good," effect.

(07-27-2020, 04:05 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Hope things are going, well, mostly OK…

(Went off and googled 1/12 figures… Wow, the articulation looks really amazing!  Are they really that poseable?  Are there “legit“ ones and knock-offs?, Or are all the ones on eBay legit? 
I wonder how long the “skin“ holds up without getting holes… I know you said something about them in the past, and something about the skin being very rubbery.…)

Mostly okay, all things considered. Managed to get a bit sunburned today while working outside, actually. That hasn't happened in ages!

Yes, the 1/12 figures are extremely poseable. It takes some skill and some practice to get the poses to look natural and life-like, but that's the case with most dolls. The frames are much better than they were a few years ago. The early figures had a serious issue, so I've read, with the rubber covering tearing or puncturing, but the figures released over the past two or three years seem to be of a much better quality. In fact, the introductory paragraph of the instruction booklet that came with this figure says:
"TBLeague Seamless Body is the crystal of PL team's collective painstaking effort in three years. With great passion, PL team has conducted countless tests and finally made it."

[Image: july26.jpg]
26 July – Triv shows her latest action figure acquisition to Addie and Janie
Squeee, such a cute scene!

The posing is great, they all look alive and the whole photo looks like a fragment of motion capctured in a snapshot rather than photo of static objects that you had all the time in the world to take.
(07-27-2020, 04:09 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]The posing is great, they all look alive and the whole photo looks like a fragment of motion capctured in a snapshot rather than photo of static objects that you had all the time in the world to take.

Thanks! It has taken me quite a while to begin to feel comfortable working with Smart Dolls. Finally, they almost seem to pose themselves. I fuss around a little bit to try to make the wrist joints less apparent, and I still struggle with getting their hair to cooperate, but they kinda pretty much do their own thing at this point.
I think Addie wants Triv’s doll. Thanks for the kind words about our pics. There’s a bit of swearing involved.