Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It’s always good to see the Forum’s Chief Morale Officer on the job.
It’s an intriguing piece of writing you’re proof-reading there - I’m wondering exactly who is about to crash into the tree due to lack of paddling action.
If I had 1/10 of Carly's energy, I'd be 10x livelier than I usually am...
Carly looks to be a very good proof-reader. Also that snippet of dialogue is well paced and quite humourous.
(08-06-2020, 08:57 PM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Also that snippet of dialogue is well paced and quite humourous.

A True-Life Adventure; or, A Flirtation with Death

[Image: august6.jpg]
6 August – 1/6 Scale Dolly Bootz

Okay, they're not boots for Bratz, so I shouldn't refer to them as "bootz," but the world is spiralling in to chaos, so I doubt that anyone will care, let alone notice.

The fact that I spent real actual money to buy some stupid little plastic doll shoes online is illustrative of how the chaos in the world is driving me to make pointless and ill-advised impulse buys. I don't even remember why I thought I needed or wanted these.

They look a lot crappier in person than they did in the online images. But it would cost me more to send them back than I paid for them, I think.
Doll shoes are so hard to get, and fit. There’s a reason most of our girls are barefoot.
The reason you wanted them will !likely come back to you soon. The style of them is pretty impressive
They still look kinda cool, even if the quality isn't what promo pics promised. A few extra pairs of footwear will always come in handy.
I think we all want to read the rest of that story now…
Yes, having to return things often costs more than what you spent for them. Mimiwoo is my go-to place for shoes.
What a score:

[Image: august7.jpg]
7 August – Mattel Ken / Mattel Max Steel Hybrid

I know, I know, you're all jealous. Too bad, he's mine, I tell you, he's all mine!

Tongue

I recently purchased a 21st Century Toys military vehicle via eBay (pics later eventually, maybe), which included three dolls action figures. Two of the figures are fairly generic, incomplete 21st Century Toys army guys. But the third one is this fantastic treasure: a hybrid between a MAX STEEL N-TEK RANGER and HORSE LOVIN' KEN: THE DOLL WHO LOVES TO RIDE HORSES!

Yes, that's really what the figure was called: Horse Lovin' Ken: The Doll Who Loves to Ride Horses. Horse Lovin' Ken shares a face sculpt with Todd, Barbie & Ken's Handsome Friend. Horse Lovin' Ken would have originally worn a red and white western outfit, complete with a cowboy hat. Handsome Friend Todd originally would have sported a purple tux, because he was a groom, getting married to Tracy, who I assume must have been Barbie & Ken's Beautiful Friend. Todd had purplish-brown eyes, while Horse Lovin' Ken has blue eyes, which is what enabled me to distinguish between them. Poor Ken, I think Todd got the better deal. At least at first.

But at some point Horse Lovin' Ken ditched the horses to become this buff and tuff army guy, while Todd is probably stuck working a mind-numbingly boring office job to pay child support and alimony to his ex-wife Tracy.

Interestingly enough, this particular Ken doll head sculpt was originally issued in 1978, called the Superstar Ken, featuring painted blonde hair and supposedly modeled after then-popular film actor Robert Redford.

(It's also possible that this could actually be "Dream Date Ken" from around the same era as "Horse Lovin' Ken," but I'm stickin' with "Horse Lovin" because I already typed up all those previous paragraphs.)

Thanx to one of the guys on the Action Man Mobile Ops Forum having previously posted a link to The Max Steel Reference Website, I was able to identify this 2001 era Max Steel body. Identifying the head sculpt required quite a bit of scrolling through Barbie and Ken eBay listings.

If you want to identify your random Ken doll heads, here's a great place to start: Man Behind the Doll: Ken Head Molds

Ya wanna know why I'm really excited about this figure? Yeah, sure, there's the awesome Max Steel N-Tek Ranger body with the molded-on wrist communication device, but look at that head sculpt. What celebrity does it truly remind you of? No, not Robert Redford. Here's a hint: is he a little bit country? Or a little bit rock and roll?
yay
That’s really cool! It’s always fun to see what hybrids people create. And if you didn’t tell us it was a hybrid I would never have guessed.
Hahaha, now that you mention it, he does resemble a certain (former?) celebrity. The photo made me LOL and your commentary did more-so. Are you going to introduce him to your other military guys?
He is very well done as a hybrid.
That's one happy hybrid right there! He totally looks like he loves his new life on the Max Steel body.
That is a fantastic hybrid, I can see why you'd be so delighted with it! I'm actually fairly surprised - I didn't think the head and body would be compatiable at the joint but I can see clearly that they are. Congrats to you!

I can see the likeness as well!