Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: PrettyTiny Film Company Pic A Week *2020*! (The END!!)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Ahhh, so warm and cozy! I want a library with a ghost like that!
Ahhh so cozy feeling.
I am in awe of your photographic ability. Did you meet the devil at a cross roads one midnight.
WOW!!!
Lejays wanted me to report that I was mildly scandalised when I turned out PTFCo calendar over to July and was confronted by a half naked doll! How did they sneak that one past you?
Oh come on. She is ex-pressing the freedom to be herself and enjoying the outdoors.  LOL

(07-03-2020, 11:13 PM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]I am in awe of your photographic ability. Did you meet the devil at a cross roads one midnight.
Hahaha  LOL
I would attribute it to growing up shooting film with the influence of two accomplished and occasionally prize-winning photographers. When you shoot film in an all-manual camera, you have to understand ex-posure and light; you learn how to use it and what you can do with it. I love tinkering with lighting effects and long ex-posures.

(07-03-2020, 02:23 PM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]I'm trying to figure out how you did this. ...  That's a nice vintage Zane Grey collection on the shelf. I've only read one Zane Grey story, the classic Riders of the Purple Sage...
Ah, “Riders of the Purple Prose” as I called it.  These were Mom’s; she really loved them when she was young, and in later years she re-read a few of them.  I read that one and was amused at the flowery descriptions. The Household Clutter Purge has not yet reached the office bookshelves.
So you did figure it out; Cherie is suspended with black thread from a piece of wood clamped to the top of the bookshelf (which I had to move because it was in the shot at first)... a 30-second ex-posure in very low light gave time for a few seconds’ light painting with a flashlight on her, tap the cheap little tea lights which kept going out, then crawl into the corner under the drafting table and remove her for the last 10 seconds or so of the shot. Then reset, crawl back and try again.  My knees are funny colours!
I thought it was such a fun & free photo - it’s going to make me smile each time I see it. And as it’s in the kitchen on the cupboard we pass every time we go into it, that’s going to be a lot.

It’s truly amazing what you can do with practical effects rather than computer trickery if you understand how light & all works with the camera.

I figured Cherie was hanging by fishing line or something similar, but how the translucency happened eluded me until your explanation.
(Are the knees funny colours because of bruising or didn’t you sweep/dust beforehand smile )
I agree I don’t like digital stuff. I think in a way that is cheating.
I feel the same for my movies, I prefer to see monster make up and puppeteers and real props to CGI.
Thank you for all the nice comments, everyone  blush  I'm really pleased this one turned out pretty much as I'd hoped.

(07-04-2020, 03:03 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ](Are the knees funny colours because of bruising or didn’t you sweep/dust beforehand smile )
Oh dear.  How is it possible you've seen my office....???  Oh My  xp

(07-08-2020, 03:19 AM)Aichan Wrote: [ -> ]I agree I don’t like digital stuff. I think in a way that is cheating.
I feel the same for my movies, I prefer to see  monster make up and puppeteers and real props to CGI.
That's interesting.  I really hate digital photo "cheats" and how things get way overprocessed, especially scenic shots.  Isn't nature beautiful enough?  We don't need neon colours in everything and fluffy-cumulus skies transformed into approaching hurricanes.  I mean, call it "digital art" if you want, but when it started becoming popular I really hated that it was put against "real" photography in contests, in the same category.  
It also perplexes me that some people don't seem to be able to tell the difference, when something is overcooked, and think that the sky or the landscape really actually looked like that.  
I grew up seeing literally some of the best photography in Canada, through Mom & Dad's camera-club affiliation.  Mom was the club secretary, and was responsible for mailing slides, (eek, remember those!?), so when a competition set came in, we always got a slide show at home before she sent them on to the next club.  Mom & Dad would have their own little session as photo judges so I learned a lot.  With the advent of digital, it's nice that photography is more accessible to everyone, but quality-wise, anything goes....  [insert long rant].
As far as movies go -- interesting point...  Have you seen "Farscape"?  Lots of puppeteering!  If you happened to like sci-fi and you prefer this style, you'd probably like it.
I enjoy seeing how they do CGI too, though, and if I give "Avatar" as an example, all arguments are off! grin  LOL

Snapshot time this week...  The computer issues have descended into a morass of frustration, with an initially-very-encouraging data recovery guy who now will not return any calls about an appointment.  I'm going to try a place a little closer to home (still an all-day trip) but am not optimistic they can do it.  
Trying to calm some annoyance and minimize the swear words while waiting all day for no call, I shot a few doll pix.  (Yes, it helped a bit, but then the day got even worse slash )
Here's Petra just because I think she looks so great in this outfit, before she changed to a summer one.

[Image: 50091813137_d854ddffe6_z.jpg]
Petra makes an awesome pirate girl. Kind of makes me think of Arya at the end of Game of Thrones.
Petra looks like a stylish sailor on the deck of a mighty sea-going vessel.
Pirate girls for the win!

I'd say there is a lot of digital photography of high artistic and technical quality without being overprocessed, but I don't need anyone to agree with me.
Petra looks so stylish!
Petra the Pirate looks great!
Petra looks just perfect as a Pirate girl.

Digital trickery has its place, but I know exactly what you mean about the over-processed unreality of some nature photography.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25