Dolly Market Forum
Night lights - Printable Version

+- Dolly Market Forum (https://forums.dollymarket.net)
+-- Forum: Doll and Art Galleries (https://forums.dollymarket.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28277)
+--- Forum: Pullip and Friends (https://forums.dollymarket.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28258)
+--- Thread: Night lights (/showthread.php?tid=7261337)

Night lights - Alliecat - 11-26-2017

Made these bottle lights this week and am kinda on the fence about selling them; I mean, you can't keep the first one of everything you make... but anyway, of course the dolls had to have some photos with them first.
This is why I'm glad I have a small collection, because then when I feel like "everyone" has to have a shot, it doesn't become impossible. LOL

[Image: 26868352919_12086cdb2a_b.jpg]
Cherie & Petra. Do they imagine they've caught some fireflies...?

[Image: 26868353699_fdb58e0b7a_b.jpg]
Cherie looks fabulous in low light.

[Image: 38588025976_3b984fd876_b.jpg]

[Image: 37756641905_69f701c016_b.jpg]
My dreamy little guitar player.

[Image: 38588026836_bfe35f614b_b.jpg]
Daesani & Sara; looks like a late night girls' chat.

[Image: 26868351919_9ce609e380_z.jpg]
And Lea, because she's articulated enough to sit and meditate.

[Image: 37926574924_a7a5d0e8fa_b.jpg]

Thanks for looking smile

RE: Night lights - Miss Edith - 11-26-2017

as always your photos are stunning Heart 2 all the girls look wonderful, that green over the lacey background and just generally greeeeen grin The bottles are gorgeous, I'm not surprised you're torn on selling them.

I think the one of Cherie sitting up is my favourite along with the last 2 of Lea. I have been wishing I was a photographer like you ever since you started sharing with us. Back when you had ONE teeny girl & she became a superstar **bows to Sunsette**

RE: Night lights - fishy - 11-27-2017

Great photos! smile Magical.

RE: Night lights - Offgenemi - 11-27-2017

They look magical !!! I would have very hard time parting with it. Gorgeous photos as usual

RE: Night lights - davidd - 11-27-2017

In addition to loving the beautifully illuminated photos, I'm intrigued by how you made the lights. Does a wire with a switch extend through the bottle somewhere to turn it on and off, and to hold the batteries?

RE: Night lights - MapleLeaf - 11-27-2017

They're beautiful Alliecat! Magical in every way and great displayed with the dolls. You could aways keep a couple and sell the others. Happy

RE: Night lights - Cornflower Blue - 11-27-2017

They look quite enchanting! I think I saw something on a Facebook video that popped up in my feed. For that one, they drilled a hole in the bottom to pass the cord through.

Here's one DIY version: https://witandwhistle.com/2009/11/03/diy-wine-bottle-light/

RE: Night lights - davidd - 11-27-2017

(11-27-2017, 11:45 AM)Cornflower Blue Wrote: Here's one DIY version: https://witandwhistle.com/2009/11/03/diy-wine-bottle-light/

Thank you for the link! Glass drill bit, huh? I'm off to Amazon to do some "research."

RE: Night lights - Alliecat - 11-27-2017

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone yay I was pretty happy with the photos once I had time to look at them.
The bottles didn't sell at the market, so, I have them for a while. Which of course meant I didn't have to stay up till midnight taking pictures the night before the market. Market-vendoring is a hassle... slash

(11-26-2017, 02:32 PM)Miss Edith Wrote: I have been wishing I was a photographer like you ever since you started sharing with us. Back when you had ONE teeny girl & she became a superstar **bows to Sunsette**
Oh you are sweet... thank you! Heart 2 I never imagined with my ONE teeny girl that I would be so obsessed with dolls and photographing them a few years later!! And you COULD be a photographer... just use a phone camera or find a cheap point-&-shoot on eBay and go have fun!! The important thing is that you are happy with the results you get and that it brings you joy to do it grin

(11-27-2017, 06:40 AM)davidd Wrote: Does a wire with a switch extend through the bottle somewhere to turn it on and off, and to hold the batteries?
Yep, they're "fairy lights", and they come either with a cork battery pack (the clear one) or a flat battery pack (the green one). Fortunately I got one of each for the experiment, because the mouth of the green bottle is too small for the cork to sit in it. So I drilled a hole a couple inches up from the bottom. If I'd known how easy it would be I'd have started doing this ages ago. You need a glass (diamond) drill bit and there are tons of videos on Youtube how to do it. Some more useful than others. But basically the trick is to go slowly, not put too much pressure on it, and keep the bit cool (paused to spray water). And although you can do it by hand, having a drill press helped XD
(Holy cow, that link says it took them 30 minutes to drill the hole??! The whole job took me about 15, from gathering materials to messing around with drill bits and adjusting the drill press and cleaning up everything, including drilling a test bottle and my good bottle. The actual drilling was probably like 2 minutes. Oh well!)

(Oh, and Miss E, all the greeeen is my bathmat and shower curtain! LOL )

RE: Night lights - martah - 11-28-2017

The bottles are very charming. The last picture of Lea is magical. She looks like a little genie. Lovely light in all of the pictures. smile

RE: Night lights - ScreamingDaisies - 11-29-2017

So pretty! I like the last shot the best. You should totally sell them. I have one bottle light and I love to light up along with some candles. Nice way to unwind after a long day.

RE: Night lights - DeadlyNova - 11-29-2017

These photos are SO pretty!!!! I admire you for being able to get such good photos in this kind of lighting, every time I've tried it never turns out how I want it. I think my favorite photo is the last one, but they're all amazing!!

RE: Night lights - Alliecat - 11-30-2017

Thank you guys grin

(11-28-2017, 06:28 AM)martah Wrote: The last picture of Lea is magical. She looks like a little genie.
I thought it looked like she was searching for some magic in the bottle too smile

(11-29-2017, 12:54 PM)ScreamingDaisies Wrote: So pretty! I like the last shot the best. You should totally sell them. I have one bottle light and I love to light up along with some candles.
Cool. They haven't sold yet... maybe at the summer tourist market. I guess I'll enjoy them for a while, although now I want to do something similar with a couple of antique kerosene lanterns.

(11-29-2017, 04:46 PM)DeadlyNova Wrote: These photos are SO pretty!!!! I admire you for being able to get such good photos in this kind of lighting, every time I've tried it never turns out how I want it.
Thank you smile I was really happy with the light too. Although I love and miss using my film camera, this one does make shooting low light a bit less of a gamble. I just lightened the shadows a bit in some of them. Keep trying with yours!