The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.7 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Dolly Market Forum
Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - Printable Version

+- Dolly Market Forum (https://forums.dollymarket.net)
+-- Forum: Doll and Art Galleries (https://forums.dollymarket.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28277)
+--- Forum: Other Dolls/Figures (https://forums.dollymarket.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28264)
+--- Thread: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) (/showthread.php?tid=7262684)

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - Lejays17 - 05-17-2020

The curl at the end of her hair is just perfect. I love the big curls on Pullips.

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - werepuppy - 05-17-2020

As others have said? That curl is just perfect.

I also like the comfortable vibe here? They're just hanging out and listening to music. It's a very relaxed feeling.

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - neon_jellyfish - 05-18-2020

(05-17-2020, 03:25 AM)davidd Wrote: That gentle wave ending in a curl in the hair is æsthetic perfection.

Plus, that radio. (Still patiently waiting for your dad's prop-making tutorial.)

Thank you!

I'm afraid a tutorial isn't happening. Dad just makes these things appear in a 'poof' sort of way.

(05-17-2020, 09:58 AM)Alliecat Wrote: That perfect curl!  She's gorgeous  Heart

Thank you!!!

(05-17-2020, 04:21 PM)Elfy Wrote: Such lovely hair.

Her stock wig is amazing. A lot of Pullips have not-so-great wigs, or wigs that used to be nice but are aging badly, but Pullip Aurora's wig is just amazing.

(05-17-2020, 04:57 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: The curl at the end of her hair is just perfect.  I love the big curls on Pullips.

Thank you! I actually kinda don't. I like to arrange their hair into curls for photos, but keeping big ringlets neat is a nightmare. Alice du Jardin's wig is driving me crazy and I'm considering getting her a new one, same color, but wavy. I can make her ringlets look all nice and tidy, but they get messy in like five seconds. LOL

(05-17-2020, 10:30 PM)werepuppy Wrote: As others have said? That curl is just perfect.

I also like the comfortable vibe here? They're just hanging out and listening to music. It's a very relaxed feeling.

Thank you very much! Yes, that was the vibe I was going for!

Day 138

[Image: 7b5a7a41216c287d9a4f2930d0fc6eb7.jpg]

This radio is a bit harder to photograph - it's dark and beautifully polished, so it kinda disappears on photos.

[Image: 46596418e1e91807eafdf2e81b7384a2.jpg]

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - davidd - 05-18-2020

A lovely... and slightly "racy"... vintage scene.

And more radio goodness!

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - Alliecat - 05-18-2020

Very nice portrait. They look like they've seen all kinds of adventures... And a little dad-magic sounds appropriate for your gang: >poof< wink

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - werepuppy - 05-18-2020

Well, these girls just know they look good in photographs.

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - neon_jellyfish - 05-18-2020

Thanks guys!

Day 139

Ellle Eedee. She only had two releases, one was part of a 3pack - the signature version, and her boots were fabulous, but the rest of her outfit was kinda meh. Boo York, Boo York came out when Monster High kept releasing way too many characters at suicidally rapid rate only to never do anything with them ever again, and Elle was one of the many victims. I think her concept is fun and wish she had more releases. I also wish no future line releases sig dolls in multipacks, unless they're twins. I like themed 2packs, but I like my siggies separate. Ugh, this turned out to be quite rantish, didn't it? Anyway, here she is.

[Image: b587b8ace8097e0c5e8271689295ca27.jpg]

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - Lejays17 - 05-18-2020

There were a whole lot of interesting one-off releases at that time, like they were trying everthing they could think of to make a doll out of, but none were really developed well as a character.

And wasn't she one that had a lot of mis-prints of her on/off button on her forehead - like eye-wonk but worse.

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - werepuppy - 05-18-2020

Was Ellle meant to be a gateway character into a potential new sci-fi themed spin-off? Fantasy was covered by MH, folklore by EAH... they could have made a sci-fi one.

You really have captured a stunning portrait of her here.

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - neon_jellyfish - 05-19-2020

(05-18-2020, 10:36 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: There were a whole lot of interesting one-off releases at that time, like they were trying everthing they could think of to make a doll out of, but none were really developed well as a character.

And wasn't she one that had a lot of mis-prints of her on/off button on her forehead - like eye-wonk but worse.

Actually, the whole BYBY line seemed to be awfully prone to eyewonk. The wonk was getting worse with time as Mattel started cutting more and more corners, but even then BYBY was worse than a lot of other lines. Great Scarrier Reef dolls had way more going on, face-up wise, but they weren't nearly as bad as BYBY ones. Brand Boo Students (Isi, Kjersti and Batsy) were also bad.

(05-18-2020, 11:50 PM)werepuppy Wrote: Was Ellle meant to be a gateway character into a potential new sci-fi themed spin-off? Fantasy was covered by MH, folklore by EAH... they could have made a sci-fi one.

You really have captured a stunning portrait of her here.

No, she was a DJ focusing on one of those electro-something music styles (my knowledge is seriously lacking in this area, eventhough I'm not that old), so I think Mattel thought robot would go nice with that.

Monster High's main theme was horror rather than fantasy (no elves or dwarves or orks anywhere, also no magic system, eventhough Casta kinda exists), when they run out of movie monsters, they started making supernaturals from various mythologies. In that regard, both MH and EAH draw from folklore, but EAH was about fairytales in broader sense, which was awesome because Wonderland!

I would freakin' LOVE Space High doll line full of aliens of all shapes and colors, androids and whatnot!!!! I never got Astranova, because her maglev gimmick kinda ruined her for me, and I always wondered why there weren't more aliens. It wouldn't be less horror-y than Deer Woman or whatever the heck is Jane supposed to be (I love Jane, she's beautiful, but I don't know what was Mattel going for with her. Doctor Dolittle is a hella weird choice for monster/horror themed line).

Oh, and I want a retrofuturistic space diner playset for my Space High dolls!

And thank you very much!!!

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - davidd - 05-19-2020

I like Elle's mechanical iris aperture style eyes.

Her name is kind of hokey, sounding more like a Novi Stars name than a Monster High name.

I agree with you that too many new characters were being introduced too quickly. And why was Elle branded as "Daughter of the Robots"? We already had Robecca... who, although she had a creator-father, wasn't actually the "daughter" of anyone or anything, which makes her rather an anomaly among Monster High characters.

Astranova's mag-lev gimmick is pretty awesome, actually. And the magnet in her head is impressively strong!

A retro-futuristic space diner would be uh-maze-ballz! Such a diorama would be challenging to construct, at least for me. But... I bet your dad could do something interesting along those lines! (See, those radios have completely taken over my thinking when it comes to building props and sets.)

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - Alliecat - 05-19-2020

(05-19-2020, 01:17 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I would freakin' LOVE Space High doll line full of aliens of all shapes and colors, androids and whatnot!!!!
Ha. That would be fun!
I feel like those "lens" eyes ought to be more efficient than ours...
(05-19-2020, 02:52 AM)davidd Wrote: A retro-futuristic space diner would be uh-maze-ballz!
Restaurant at the end of the universe? xp
Another vote for Daddy_Jellyfish to construct something! LOL

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - neon_jellyfish - 05-20-2020

(05-19-2020, 02:52 AM)davidd Wrote: I like Elle's mechanical iris aperture style eyes.

Her name is kind of hokey, sounding more like a Novi Stars name than a Monster High name.

I agree with you that too many new characters were being introduced too quickly. And why was Elle branded as "Daughter of the Robots"? We already had Robecca... who, although she had a creator-father, wasn't actually the "daughter" of anyone or anything, which makes her rather an anomaly among Monster High characters.

Astranova's mag-lev gimmick is pretty awesome, actually. And the magnet in her head is impressively strong!

A retro-futuristic space diner would be uh-maze-ballz! Such a diorama would be challenging to construct, at least for me. But... I bet your dad could do something interesting along those lines! (See, those radios have completely taken over my thinking when it comes to building props and sets.)

I think there's room for more than one robot in MH, and I liked that they introduced a modern high-tech robot as a counterpart to 100+ years old steampunk one (I wonder if Robecca should be called 'advanced automaton' instead of 'robot', being this old).

I like the idea of having educational gimmick like that, but because of the magnet, she was incredibly top heavy and had next to none hair, which made playing with her in other than intended way annoying. I wouldn't mind if a second or a third release had that, I'd just like to have a doll with not so limited possibilities first. But I'm generally not fond of gimmicky dolls, I also don't like them on my Novi Stars, so there's that. I wonder if we could get any non-gimmicky alien dolls in the future...

(05-19-2020, 04:40 PM)Alliecat Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 01:17 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I would freakin' LOVE Space High doll line full of aliens of all shapes and colors, androids and whatnot!!!!
Ha.  That would be fun!  
I feel like those "lens" eyes ought to be more efficient than ours...
(05-19-2020, 02:52 AM)davidd Wrote: A retro-futuristic space diner would be uh-maze-ballz!
Restaurant at the end of the universe?  xp
Another vote for Daddy_Jellyfish to construct something!  LOL

Restaurant at the end of the universe - that's something from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, right? I haven't read that...

I don't really want to bother my dad with a project of that scale. Plus, I have no aliens to hang out there.

Day 140

ADAW #19

This is doodle #20 of 2020, and I wish I realized that sooner, did something special and posted it on the 20th. Oh well. Here's something non-special on the 19th.
Nevermind, I messed up the count

[Image: b8d97d43b306ae4fa87af65fb3ef9869.jpg]

[Image: 5fcc81ac124786a4c50b7f3e57b8656c.jpg]

ETA: This is the doodle I started drawing three weeks ago, but couldn't finish due to headache. Then I forgot I had it lying around, and now I finally got back to it.

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - werepuppy - 05-20-2020

Oh that is a fantastic looking doodle. And great choice of doll to models with it

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - dargosmydaddy - 05-20-2020

Ooh, I LOVE that doodle! So cool!