The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.7 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Dolly Market Forum
Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - Printable Version

+- Dolly Market Forum (https://forums.dollymarket.net)
+-- Forum: Doll and Art Galleries (https://forums.dollymarket.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28277)
+--- Forum: Other Dolls/Figures (https://forums.dollymarket.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28264)
+--- Thread: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) (/showthread.php?tid=7262684)

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - werepuppy - 09-15-2020

Oooh. The book looks lovely, and Ghoulia looks proud of it.

Also info on book culture is very cool!

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - Loona - 09-15-2020

I can understand your fascination with these old books, they are both very beautiful, and the subject sounds very interesting! Thanks for sharing all that info smile

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - davidd - 09-15-2020

Anacoluthon is definitely the Word o' the Day!

And... I'm so glad I asked! I shall be back later when I have more time to read and re-read this mini-essay several times, as it is interesting, engaging, informative, and of course, bright and witty!

Perhaps, rather than de-railing your ADAD thread, I should have posed this question in the Little Chit-Chat in the Library topic: http://forums.dollymarket.net/showthread.php?tid=7262136

I once read a book about "book culture." Indeed, I have found a reference to it in my reading list: Dirda, Michael. Book by Book: Notes on Reading and Life. (2005). I read this several years ago, and recall that I found it quite enjoyable and briefly inspiring.
https://www.amazon.com/Book-Notes-Reading-Life/dp/0805083383/

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful response!

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - Lejays17 - 09-15-2020

What a fascinating discussion about the Czech words, you’re right, I don’t think there’s an English word which conveys what the Czech ones do.

That’s a gorgeous book cover, and Ghoulia looks rightly proud of her book smarts.

There’s an English saying “don’t judge a book by its cover” (usually meaning don’t judge things on their appearance, but on what’s inside). There are plenty of books in our library that we’ve picked up because the cover has interested me. Fortunately, the insides have also interested me, so they’ve stayed.
This would be a book I would pick up in a book shop if I saw it because of the interesting cover.

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - neon_jellyfish - 09-15-2020

Thank you for putting up with my ranting, guys!!!

Day brmbrmwoosh!

ADAW #36

I wasn't in the mood for drawing at all today, so I decided to make another simple doodle with cute Dracula again. He has a friend now.

[Image: 38f3eff954e4ae5aa9711ce3cd4c7462.jpg]

[Image: 398f55a522f00ff8c3c65e4ab660d466.jpg]

I imagine Orlok is like 'Vlad! You haf to trry dis out!'

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - werepuppy - 09-16-2020

Heee, I love the doodle - Orlock and Dracula look like thy would make good friends. And La La has started a hanging upside down trend.

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - davidd - 09-16-2020

The shading effect around Orlock's eyes looks really cool!

I want an entire cartoon book collection of your Cute Dracula drawing!

Now that I know you have book-binding ex-pertise, I have no doubt you will be able to deliver on this small request.  LOL

Able to, yes. Willing to... maybe not so much.  Tongue

Lala is looking as adorable as ever. Plenty of starch in that skirt to keep it from responding to gravity, apparently.

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - dargosmydaddy - 09-16-2020

Cute Dracula is adorable. I totally need a Cute Dracula button or sticker or T-shirt or something smile

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - Lejays17 - 09-16-2020

(09-16-2020, 08:31 AM)dargosmydaddy Wrote: Cute Dracula is adorable. I totally need a Cute Dracula button or sticker or T-shirt or something smile

Absolutely! A button/badge would be perfect to add to the collection I have on my knitting bags.

It’s a very cute doodle, and Lala also looks like she’s having fun.

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - Elfy - 09-16-2020

It’s happening. We’re getting a comic strip with Cute Dracula.

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - neon_jellyfish - 09-16-2020

Thank you very much, guys!

I might use Cute Dracula again, but I don't think there will be enough to establish a comic strip, let alone a book.

Also, I have a question - I noticed that English speakers spell Orlok as Orlock with 'c'. Why is that? Is that how he's spelled in English subtitles for Nosferatu?

Day 260

I just rescued this cutie from the Customs!

[Image: fc185cb990ed6d04e62c2d5b96186e1b.jpg]

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - werepuppy - 09-16-2020

Oh gods, she's far too adorable!! /squees all over:

re: Orlock - honestly I've seen it spelt both ways, but that form seems to reflect the pronunciation in English.

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - davidd - 09-17-2020

(09-16-2020, 08:59 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Also, I have a question - I noticed that English speakers spell Orlok as Orlock with 'c'. Why is that? Is that how he's spelled in English subtitles for Nosferatu?
Sweatdrop  Ermm... no, with the "c" is actually a mis-spelling. Out of habit for those of us who are accustomed to American English spelling.
Pretty little pink and purple (well, lavender, maybe) princess! Welcome to the latest addition to your dolly crew!

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - Alliecat - 09-17-2020

I love the idea of a doll being the guardian of good memories from a happy time in your life.  And how cool to have these old books in good shape; they can truly be treasures.
Interesting read about "book culture".  With the thoughts about inventing more durable & lasting ways to preserve our words, I thought about how now we're leaning in the opposite direction again, with so many things being digital that will vanish into the ether with the electronic apocalypse... or just once the technology changes... or your computer crashes sad
I think next week's "Nova" on PBS is going to be about the history of writing.  Dunno if you can see that program there, but you might be interested.

Your doodle is so cute.  I really want to see this little guy in an ongoing comic strip too!  I am sure if you can come up with all the complexities of Oddwickshire, you could create some adventures for him.
Congrats on your new lil girl escaping customs!

RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - Elfy - 09-17-2020

Your pink girl is amazing!