The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.7 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Dolly Market Forum
davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Printable Version

+- Dolly Market Forum (https://forums.dollymarket.net)
+-- Forum: Doll and Art Galleries (https://forums.dollymarket.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28277)
+--- Forum: Other Dolls/Figures (https://forums.dollymarket.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28264)
+--- Thread: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 (/showthread.php?tid=7263631)

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - davidd - 02-10-2021

(02-09-2021, 07:29 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Isn't she Sally's shell? 

Good eye! Sally's head on a different body.
I have a different head on Sally at the moment, but I'm not sure I like it. She will probably get this one back.

If what I read about your country is anything close to accurate, I hope you are able to stay home safely and avoid... pretty much everything!

Meanwhile, here, there's either going to be a civil war or a world war. Hard to say which one will happen first, but it's coming.

(Or they might just send the military to round up over half the country, seize their assets, and send them to "the camps." They're already talking about "re-education" for people who dare to disagree mit ze party ideology.)

Phicen February continues:

[Image: 50927101223_3ec64ba343_z.jpg]
9 February – Cousin Monday

Yes, Momoko Cousin Monday is on a seamless body, so she qualifies as a Phicen figure.

Body:TBLeague S26A
Head: Momoko Quietude Dedication
Costume: Momoko Quietude Dedication

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - neon_jellyfish - 02-10-2021

Oooh, the candelabrum light effect is super neat! and it's always pleasure to see Cousin Monday (especially now, since the OG Cousin Monday is nowhere to be seen, I'm kinda worried...)!

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Loona - 02-11-2021

Cousin Monday! A stunning lady in a stunning picture. Werepuppy and you have done some massive enabling on her, and she's actually become a wishlist item for me - if I come across a good deal, that is. Unfortunately I still find normal Momoko prices unreasonably high for what they have to offer in return :/

Speaking of werepuppy, I'm with you both - I'm also starting to get worried, and hope she's doing fine. It's been a while she's come across the forums...

Aaaand, I missed her again! So Ari Carter it is, huh? I remember seeing her around the holidays, assisting with the doodles, but I didn't manage to comment back then either. I love her - and it must be the big eyes, as that seems to be her main feature that is distinctively different compared to the usual Phicen head, which I usually find too accurately proportioned for my taste. But Ari, Ari is appealing, and cute. Or ari, I would say - 'ari' actually means 'cute' in Hungarian, shortened - in a childish way - from 'aranyos'. I'm not sure how common this word is nowadays, I haven't heard it in a while, and it's usually another word I'm hearing instead, but I definitely used it as a kid in the late 80s-early 90s, and my friends and classmates did too.

Cnidaria Lambent is a wonderful name! Is there a specific connection between the name and her? I'm only asking because based on pictures I fail to see any possible connection between the name&its "behind" features to Sonja (who I know nothing about, so me failing to see any connection might really not mean anything  Sweatdrop Tongue )

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Alliecat - 02-11-2021

The low-light-effects photos have all been very good.
Also wondering about werepuppy, whose presence here seems to have come to a screeching halt. A pity that KiraKira has also disappeared, thus ending the photo challenges.
Hope they are OK.

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - davidd - 02-11-2021

(02-10-2021, 08:30 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Oooh, the candelabrum light effect is super neat! and it's always pleasure to see Cousin Monday (especially now, since the OG Cousin Monday is nowhere to be seen, I'm kinda worried...)!

I used a little red flashlight for the lighting effect. Nothing fancy.
Not that I've been cyber-stalking werepuppy, but... I've kinda been cyber-stalking werepuppySweatdrop That is, to the extent that, in her bio here on the forum she lists other websites on which she is... or was... active. Among those sites, I see that she continues to update her Tumblr blog with reposts. Or, she was updating her Tumblr blog with reposts, up until a week or so ago.

(02-11-2021, 07:07 AM)Loona Wrote: Cousin Monday! A stunning lady in a stunning picture. Werepuppy and you have done some massive enabling on her, and she's actually become a wishlist item for me - if I come across a good deal, that is. Unfortunately I still find normal Momoko prices unreasonably high for what they have to offer in return :/

Speaking of werepuppy, I'm with you both - I'm also starting to get worried, and hope she's doing fine. It's been a while she's come across the forums...

Aaaand, I missed her again! So Ari Carter it is, huh? ... Or ari, I would say - 'ari' actually means 'cute' in Hungarian, shortened - in a childish way - from 'aranyos'. I'm not sure how common this word is nowadays, I haven't heard it in a while, and it's usually another word I'm hearing instead, but I definitely used it as a kid in the late 80s-early 90s, and my friends and classmates did too.

Cnidaria Lambent is a wonderful name! Is there a specific connection between the name and her? I'm only asking because based on pictures I fail to see any possible connection between the name&its "behind" features to Sonja (who I know nothing about, so me failing to see any connection might really not mean anything  Sweatdrop Tongue )

Cousin Monday is a Momoko Quietude Dedication. werepuppy's Cousin Ophelia is a Momoko Black Riding Hood. Momoko dolls are pretty and have nice costumes but very poor quality bodies, and I agree, they are not worth the high prices. That doesn't stop me from wanting to get at least one more, but it has thus-far stopped me from actually getting one more.

Cousin Monday is, to my surprise, becoming a somewhat popular character on the Action Man / GI Joe forum called Action Man Mobile Ops (or AMMO). One of the members there wants to work together to create a collaborative photo-story featuring Cousin Monday and his characters.

I was wondering if it was just me that werepuppy had stopped communicating with. She had usually responded to my occasional PMs rather promptly, but during the last three weeks or so of 2020 she completely stopped. I see that she abruptly stopped posting new images to her hosting site, 23hq.com, with the final image on 31 December. With the 31 December post she stopped posting both to Dolly Market and to Dollieh Sanctuary, where she had been a regular and active member for longer than she was here. I hope she and her family are well. I do miss her daily drollery.

Oh my gosh! "Ari" means "cute" in Hungarian? Or, in Hungarian slang? That is too perfect! Thank you for that wonderful factoid! 

I take it you searched for the terms "cnidaria" and "lambent." You are correct, the name has nothing to do with the actual fictional Red Sonja character. I intend for the figure to represent a mysterious and enigmatic near-genius character with a retro-futuristic "steampunk" vibe with a rumored ability to "skip" between parallel universes. The name is a reference to the online identity of an intelligent, enigmatic, and mysterious internet friend... who may or may not have the ability to skip among a number of parallel universes.

(02-11-2021, 08:09 AM)Alliecat Wrote: The low-light-effects photos have all been very good.
Also wondering about werepuppy, whose presence here seems to have come to a screeching halt.  A pity that KiraKira has also disappeared, thus ending the photo challenges.
Hope they are OK.

Thanks! Low-light shooting and layering on the cheesy photo filters in post-processing disguises a multitude of shortcomings!

I noticed over the last few weeks of the year, in the ADAD2020 photos, werepuppy's captions to her own photos and her comments on other photos became increasingly brief. I hope she is merely feeling a touch of "burn out" and that she will reappear as suddenly as she disappeared.

Or maybe she got a boyfriend. Over the years I have been online, several of my younger women contacts faded away or disappeared when they became involved in serious relationships.

I hope KiraKira will be back. You're right, she has been too quiet for too long, both here and at Dollieh Sanctuary. I know from following the news and talking with relatives who still live there, Hawaii is a chaotic mess due to absurd coronavirus measures that are still in place. She may very well be overwhelmed trying to deal with her kids and her job, since students have not yet returned to the classrooms in Hawaii.

PHICEN FEBRUARY continues:

[Image: 50931487082_4aa857f0a6_z.jpg]
10 February – Sally LaSalle, Girl Reporter

[Image: 50930681648_c53d2c6907_z.jpg]

This version of the Sally character features a TBLeague S26A body and a head from a TBLeague S37 figure.

I "borrowed" Sally's original head sculpt to use on Ari, the artist hippie chick, as pictured a couple of days ago.

I'm not sure which version I prefer. Here's a link to the original version of Sally: LINK

I think I like the "big eyed" Firegirl head better... on both characters! But this more "toylike" head sculpt also works for the character, who is supposed to be a preternaturally youthful and annoyingly pretty reporter and newsreel personality. Perhaps I shall purchase another head and use the same head on both. Or, there are versions that have the same face but different colors of hair. Sally definitely needs to be blonde. Ari could have brown or black hair, maybe. There's also a silvery platinum hair version, but it's not a look I visualize for the character or the figure.

Perhaps I shall snap portraits of the figure with each head and set up a "poll" on the forum to solicit feedback. I think there's an option for setting up polls on the forum. Having similar poses under similar lighting conditions with the separate heads might also help me make a final decision.

But I couldn't even decide which I liked better, the color version or the black and white, so... yeah.

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Alliecat - 02-11-2021

She is cute, and yes, she looks preternaturally youthful! She kinda looks like she should be in a summer garden surrounded by flowers, bees and butterflies LOL
You're going to be enabling with these dolls.... I still don't find them uncanny or creepy, but kind of interesting. Only a lack of space and reluctance to start into another line of dolls, keeps me from going off randomly buying ones I see posted that are interesting.
What's up in Hawaii? My retreat acquaintances on da big island are busy communing with the universe and haven't shared any news. I could google...

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Elfy - 02-11-2021

I prefer the colour version of Sally to the b&w one, which is odd as she’s kind of from the b&w era.

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - neon_jellyfish - 02-12-2021

New Sally also looks great! I think I like both shells! And I love the B&W shot!

Re: werepuppy - I messaged her on IG two weeks ago, but didn't get a reply, her last post there is from November 12, so I'm glad to hear that she's been active elsewhere relatively recently...

(also - enigmatic and mysterious LOL ...but there's no doubt they're inegligent... illegiblemt... that thing.)

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - davidd - 02-12-2021

(02-12-2021, 02:18 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: New Sally also looks great! I think I like both shells! 

Yeah, me too, which makes settling on one a bit of a conundrum!

[Image: 50934502511_c0e91cba21_z.jpg]
11 February – Gwendolyn Shilling-Tuppence of the Ex-plorers Guild

Body: TBLeague S28A
Head: Superduck SDH-108A

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Alliecat - 02-12-2021

Red flashlight again? Cool.
Looks like she might be ex!ploring the sewers under some old city district.

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - neon_jellyfish - 02-13-2021

I want to comment but I have a migraine and nothing comes to mind except for 'pretty photo'. So... Pretty photo!

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Loona - 02-13-2021

(02-11-2021, 02:51 PM)davidd Wrote: I take it you searched for the terms "cnidaria" and "lambent." You are correct, the name has nothing to do with the actual fictional Red Sonja character. I intend for the figure to represent a mysterious and enigmatic near-genius character with a retro-futuristic "steampunk" vibe with a rumored ability to "skip" between parallel universes. The name is a reference to the online identity of an intelligent, enigmatic, and mysterious internet friend... who may or may not have the ability to skip among a number of parallel universes.

Thank you for the explanation, that sounds so cool - I always love names with so much thought behind them smile
hat is only partially true though - I did have to google 'lambent', and then the two together, but I was indeed already aware of what 'cnidaria' was, thanks to my studies and love for invertebrate paleontology. You can buy me with invertebrate sea creatures (recent or extinct) anytime Tongue

And it really must be the eyes then, because I totally dig Sally (while Gwendolyn, while looking badass*, isn't so appealing to my eyes). And I like her original version too, but her current look is better. It's definitely more ari, as in Hungarian ari (ie she is cuter ^^ ). I agree with her having to be blonde, I think it enhances her shy and adorable side (she seems to have one - is that only a misleading outer characteristic she uses to disguise a darker side? :O ).

*and is also another good example of heavily insufficient wardrobe. While significantly better overall, her top still seems like something that would not stay on the places a lady usually likes to have covered for too long during more intensive moves, like climbing, and the sort one might do while ex-ploring.

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - davidd - 02-13-2021

(02-12-2021, 03:49 PM)Alliecat Wrote: Red flashlight again?  Cool.

My most over-used lighting tool; mostly because it's usually close at hand.

(02-13-2021, 01:54 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I want to comment but I have a migraine and nothing comes to mind except for 'pretty photo'. So... Pretty photo!

Severe headaches are a common side-effect of skipping between parallel universes, unfortunately.

(02-13-2021, 08:23 AM)Loona Wrote: You can buy me with invertebrate sea creatures (recent or extinct) anytime Tongue

... is that only a misleading outer characteristic she uses to disguise a darker side? 

*... While significantly better overall, her top still seems like something that would not stay on the places a lady usually likes to have covered for too long during more intensive moves, like climbing, and the sort one might do while ex-ploring.

Cheap date, huh? "So, how 'bout we go back to my place? I'll show you my planarian collection!"

That is, indeed, the idea I have in mind for this character. Perhaps more manipulative than truly dark.

The character name, and the appearance for that matter, of the Gwendolyn Shilling-Tuppence character is a direct steal from... or homage to... or pastiche of Kimono Troop Command's character Glynnis Penny-Farthing. K-Troop Command is a member on Flickr and on the Action Man Mobile Ops forum. Here is a link to an image of Glynnis Penny-Farthing; be forewarned, Gwendolyn is more moderately attired than is that hussy Glynnis:  image link

[Image: 50937986932_262f2f02aa_z.jpg]
12 February – They've Given Her a Number and Taken Away Her Name

Her number(s):
Body: TBLeague S37A
Head: YMToys YMT031B

(I've also taken away her original black boots, that actually fit, because the side-zipper broke! I'm hoping I can repair it. Footwear for 1/6 figures is crazy eggspensive!)

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - neon_jellyfish - 02-13-2021

Ooooh, I don't remember this one. That's a great photo, I love the lighting and composition, and her dynamic pose!

I'm afraid that i don't hop between parallel universes, it's more like they fly around and accidentally hit me with their realities. Every time I blink, there's a new one... I think the dial on my time & 'verse travel gadget is broken. Maybe I should have sticked to existing universes instead of trying to visit imaginary ones...

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Lejays17 - 02-14-2021

Loving the various ladies from recently - they all seem to fit the 30’s & 40’s ex-plorer vibe - even if that’s not exactly what they are portraying.

Cousin Monday with the candelabra is very effective with the red lighting.