The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.7 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Dolly Market Forum
davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Printable Version

+- Dolly Market Forum (https://forums.dollymarket.net)
+-- Forum: Doll and Art Galleries (https://forums.dollymarket.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28277)
+--- Forum: Other Dolls/Figures (https://forums.dollymarket.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28264)
+--- Thread: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 (/showthread.php?tid=7263631)

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Elfy - 06-26-2021

Smarts and Crafts is back! I want to see the girls with their new power tools.

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - davidd - 06-27-2021

(06-26-2021, 07:50 PM)Elfy Wrote: Smarts and Crafts is back! I want to see the girls with their new power tools.

sly That would entail doing actual, y'know, work!

26 June - A Doll A Day 2021:

[Image: june26.jpg]
26 June - The Brain that Wouldn't Die!

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Alliecat - 06-27-2021

Yay! Nice to see the gang back. I'm impressed that you take time to take doll photos in the middle of projects. I thought about doing it while building garden beds but then thought "ehh". Hopefully everyone will get their packages open soon.
(wow, lookit the size of that pine cone!)

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - davidd - 06-28-2021

(06-27-2021, 03:05 AM)Alliecat Wrote: I'm impressed that you take time to take doll photos in the middle of projects.

Perhaps that's a contributing factor in my multitude of unfinished projects.   slash

27 June - A Doll A Day 2021:

[Image: june27.jpg]
27 June - Playing Mantis Doctor Evil as Ming the Merciless

Sometimes the packaging is nicer than the figure. Sometimes the figure loses a lot of its appeal once removed from the packaging. Then what do you do? 

This particular figure is over twenty years old, having been released in 1998 or 1999. I feel guilty when I open mint-in-box toys that are nearly a quarter of a century old.

But... I bought it to open. I bought it to use the figure and some of the accessories in my photo-story projects. And... even though it is mint-in-package and over twenty years old, these things are a dime a dozen on the secondary market. Well, not quite a dime a dozen, but you can find plenty of them on eBay for about thirty bucks (US money); including shipping, if you're patient. So it's cheaper than a new doll, and it's not like opening the box will deprive the future of a rare and valuable collectible. In the future, probably fewer people will be interested than care about them now, so the value is just as likely to decline over time.

However, it's a really nice box. But I don't really have the space to store a bunch of cardboard doll boxes.

Decisions, decisions! I often find this doll and toy hobby to be frustrating, with little things like de-boxing causing me significant stress.

Maybe I need to get some real problems in life to put things like this in to perspective.

No... wait... bad bad BAD idea! Don't wanna do that! Don't even wanna joke about that! The last couple of years have been enough.

I'm gonna go unbox this thing right now. I'll keep the clear plastic front from the box to make windows in my dioramas.

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Alliecat - 06-28-2021

Great spooky/funky setup with the head!
One advantage of buying most all your dolls secondhand is you don't have the guilt of throwing away pretty boxes. I only have a few. I think dolls/figures being investments that appreciate is probably the exception to the rule.
Yes, if this is the worst of our problems we are truly lucky!

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Elfy - 06-28-2021

The doll wasn't merchandise from the 1980's cult classic Flash! was it?

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - davidd - 06-28-2021

(06-28-2021, 12:56 PM)Alliecat Wrote: Great spooky/funky setup with the head!
One advantage of buying most all your dolls secondhand is you don't have the guilt of throwing away pretty boxes.

Thanks! I was pleased with the way the "head shot" turned out.
Excellent point: a significant advantage to not buying new is avoiding the de-boxing dilemma!

(06-28-2021, 03:56 PM)Elfy Wrote: The doll wasn't merchandise from the 1980's cult classic Flash! was it?

He'll save every one of us!

This version of Ming the Merciless, the primary villain from the Flash Gordon comics, movie serials, and films, is based on the original comic strip version of the character. When Captain Action was introduced by Ideal Toys in the mid-1960s, "disguise sets" for a number of licensed comics, TV, and movie characters were produced, including Flash Gordon. When Playing Mantis attempted to revive the Captain Action line in 1998-99, they produced this Ming the Merciless disguise for Captain Action's arch nemesis, Dr. Evil.

28 June - A Doll A Day 2021:

[Image: june28.jpg]
28 June - A New Arrival

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Lejays17 - 06-28-2021

Lots of fun photos in the backlog! I liked the one with Lipoca particularly.

And the newest episodes of Smarts & Crafts, with shiny new power-tools too!

And a new arrival! Is this the mysterious Zappa just arrived?

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - dargosmydaddy - 06-29-2021

Ooh, Zappa! DE-BOX! DE-BOX!

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Alliecat - 06-29-2021

(06-29-2021, 12:43 AM)dargosmydaddy Wrote: Ooh, Zappa! DE-BOX! DE-BOX!
Oooooo, yaaasss! This!!!! xp

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - davidd - 06-30-2021

29 June - A Doll A Day 2021:

[Image: june29.jpg]
29 June - "Oooh, look! Drawings of us!"

Numbered limited editions or not, I was going to discard the absurd quantity of packaging in which these new Kid Kreations New Sindy dolls arrived... until I discovered the adorable drawings inside the lids!

Nearly the entire contents of the enormous boxes in which these dolls are packaged consists of... more boxes. All the accessories for the two dolls fit neatly in a sandwich-size Ziploc bag.

[Image: june29b.jpg]
"That's it? That's all we get?"

The dolls arrived in a plain brown shipping box, in which was an outer box featuring the Sindy logo. Inside the Sindy-logo box was a fancy glossy box, pink and silver, wrapped in Sindy-logo tissue paper. The glossy box was labeled with the doll version: City Chic and Weekender in this case. Inside the glossy box (which has the cute drawings on the inside lid) was another layer of heavy tissue paper, almost like waxed paper. The doll and stand were wired to a cardboard liner inside the glossy box. In addition to the cardboard liner were three additional small cardboard boxes containing the accessories: a handbag in one, a little paper magazine in another, and a gold necklace for one doll (single piece of chromed plastic) and sunglasses for the other. There was also a cardboard identification card, wrapped in plastic, denoting the "limited edition" number of each doll. Out of a limited number of 1,963 (the year Sindy was introduced; clever, huh?), one of these dolls was 1000-something and one was 500-something.

It just occurred to me now that it would have been interesting to weigh the contents of the boxes and then weigh the empty boxes. I suspect the mass of the packaging material is greater than that of the contents.

I'll keep the glossy boxes with the illustrated lids, but the rest of the stuff has gotta go! It's not like I'm ever gonna sell these things, and the long-term cost of storing all the packaging material would probably exceed any potential future profit anyway.

I doubt there will be any future profit. Of the six New Sindy limited edition releases, only one has sold out; and it's not one that I have.

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Alliecat - 06-30-2021

It’s funny how we think about excess packaging with food, but not generally with dolls! Perhaps you can incorporate the cute drawings as a poster or some art in one of your room setups.
Anyway, they are cute.

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - davidd - 07-01-2021

30 June - A Doll A Day 2021:

[Image: 51282230103_9f39751ed2_c.jpg]
30 June - Questionable Quality Control

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Alliecat - 07-01-2021

Haha! Well, it's a better effect than specks on the sensor!

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Elfy - 07-01-2021

So it’s not an arty out of focus effect, then?