The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.7 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Dolly Market Forum
davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Printable Version

+- Dolly Market Forum (https://forums.dollymarket.net)
+-- Forum: Doll and Art Galleries (https://forums.dollymarket.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28277)
+--- Forum: Other Dolls/Figures (https://forums.dollymarket.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28264)
+--- Thread: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 (/showthread.php?tid=7263631)

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - davidd - 08-17-2021

(08-14-2021, 01:30 PM)Alliecat Wrote: OK wut?  It's a cool-looking photo but that's not really a Thing, is it?  I mean, it sounds like something that should be a Thing....  

I'm delighted to learn that my attempt at fictional alternate history is somewhat convincing!   LOL

2 August - A Doll A Day 2021:

[Image: august2.jpg]
2 August - Alert Line 1/6 Scale Afrika Korps Female Officer Figure

3 August - A Doll A Day 2021:

[Image: august3.jpg]
3 August - TBLeague 1/12 Scale Silver Valkyrie Tariah Figure

4 August - A Doll A Day 2021:

[Image: august5.jpg]
4 August - Moody Monochrome Rocking Chair Bear

5 August - A Doll A Day 2021:

[Image: august4.jpg]
5 August - The Desert Fox - Customized Alert Line Afrika Korps Figure

6 August - A Doll A Day 2021:

[Image: august6a.jpg]
6 August - Completely Forgot I Had This One!

[Image: august6b.jpg]
And Yes, I Opened Her Up!

7 August - A Doll A Day 2021:

[Image: august7.jpg]
7 August - Squabbling Over the Last Cheesy Crouton at Olive Garden

A number of members on some action figure forums to which I belong seemed surprised, and even shocked, that I was so bold as to...  Oh My ... take my action figures (aka dolls) out in public, and to a restaurant no less! I guess, having "grown up" on the Pinky-Street forum, doing things like this seems pretty much normal. Gosh, I miss those fun-filled days when Pinky Street Fandom was in full swing! 

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Alliecat - 08-17-2021

(08-17-2021, 10:17 AM)davidd Wrote: I'm delighted to learn that my attempt at fictional alternate history is somewhat convincing!   LOL
Haha. I'm a little but "wut...?" with just about everything I hear these days... but that should have been a Thing!

Your new figures are nicely detailed and interesting! I'm sure you could do all kinds of great photostories with them.
The 2nd pic looks like a stock promo photo. And I love the vintage teddy photo! That one could be a greeting card.

Not everyone's comfortable taking "dolls" out in public. I'm less bothered when travelling, because I'm never going to see these people again. I do feel somewhat more conspicuous doing things around home with them. I think it's great that you set them up on the restaurant table. Did anyone comment? If you do get "remarks" from anyone you can at least be content knowing you're probably having more fun than they are xp

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Elfy - 08-17-2021

The teddy is the odd one out here. Are you trying to develop an army of exclusively female warriors?

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Lejays17 - 08-17-2021

Love the monochrome teddy shot tge most of all of these (cos bears are my first love, even though I rarely photograph my ones).

And love the one with the dolls fighting over the last cheesy puff (or whatever). I’ve stopped be worried (mostly) about photographing the dolls out and about now. I / We rarely get anyone commenting - to us at least LOL

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Elfy - 08-18-2021

Because she was so small, Darla was a great one to take out and photograph in public.

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - dargosmydaddy - 08-19-2021

The teddy bear is adorable, even if he looks a bit world-weary. Maybe he needs a friend?

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - davidd - 08-20-2021

8 August - A Doll A Day 2021:

COMPUTER HACK! - A Photo Story

[Image: lolcat1.jpg]

[Image: lolcat2.jpg]

[Image: lolcat3.jpg]

[Image: lolcat4.jpg]

[Image: lolcat5.jpg]

[Image: lolcat6.jpg]

[Image: lolcat7.jpg]

[Image: lolcat8.jpg]

[Image: lolcat9.jpg]

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Lejays17 - 08-20-2021

This is fantastic Davidd, it made me laugh a lot.

And it’s nice to see Lagoona!

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Elfy - 08-20-2021

They have definitely gone back in time.

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Alliecat - 08-21-2021

Ha ha, that’s cute! I recall hearing it was International Cat Day.
Love all the work in these settings. And that’s a really neat little laptop.
And personally I think most of the Internet could be improved by replacing it with cats, LOL or otherwise. Cos most of it is currently a mess.

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - davidd - 08-21-2021

(08-20-2021, 06:29 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: This is fantastic Davidd, it made me laugh a lot.

And it’s nice to see Lagoona!

Glad you got a laugh out of it! And it is nice to see Lagoona again, particularly this Lagoona! She will return shortly and I will explain why she's special.

(08-20-2021, 06:41 PM)Elfy Wrote: They have definitely gone back in time.

Yes, it must have been residual time distortion from Alliecat's Library Time Machine. Those early models had insufficient temporal shielding.

(08-21-2021, 02:47 AM)Alliecat Wrote: And that’s a really neat little laptop.

The laptop just recently arrived. I could not tell from the online description what size it was, so I took a chance. Turns out it's a size that kinda more or less works for both 1/6 and 1/3 scale, so same computer for everyone from Monster High size to Smart Doll size.

9 August - A Doll A Day 2021:

[Image: august9.jpg]
9 August - Seamless Kenna Roswell version 2.0

10 August - A Doll A Day 2021:

[Image: august10.jpg]
10 August - An IDEAL Photograph

The little camera is from an IDEAL Toys Tammy doll from the 1960s. It's a well detailed little model made of metal.

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Elfy - 08-21-2021

They really made toys to last back then.

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Alliecat - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 10:41 AM)davidd Wrote: Turns out it's a size that kinda more or less works for both 1/6 and 1/3 scale, so same computer for everyone from Monster High size to Smart Doll size.
I noticed that, that it really seemed to work for everyone, which is pretty cool.
Cute little camera!
Putting dolls with different sized heads in the same photo doesn't really work for me, having tried Pullips with J-Dolls, but your 2 Kennas look good together. I mean, obviously much less size difference LOL

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - davidd - 08-28-2021

(08-21-2021, 11:31 AM)Alliecat Wrote: Putting dolls with different sized heads in the same photo doesn't really work for me, having tried Pullips with J-Dolls, but your 2 Kennas look good together.

The idea behind creating the alternate version of Kenna is for if or when she appears in scenes with figures with smaller heads or that are less toylike. I've tried mixing Bratz and Pullip in scenes with small-head dolls and yeah, it doesn't work well for me, either.

Okaaayyyy....

11 August - A Doll A Day 2021

[Image: august11.jpg]
11 August - Military Clerk/Typist (aka Secretary) Veronika Pfütze

12 August - A Doll A Day 2021

[Image: august12.jpg]
12 August - "I saved one for your little dog, too!"

13 August - A Doll A Day 2021

[Image: august13.jpg]
13 August - "You'll tell Eva? Vhat do you mean, you'll tell Eva?
Fine! Go ahead! Tell Eva! She's not the boss of me!"

Have we had enough Nazis yet? Of course not! Why, it's practically impossible to have enough, let alone too many, Nazis! So check this out!

14 August - A Doll A Day 2021

[Image: august14a.jpg]

[Image: august14b.jpg]
14 August - Bean-Gelo Pop Costume "Devil King" 6-inch figure

I tell ya, Hitler is hot in the toy and action figure market! All kinds of WWII German figures coming out lately - realistic military figures, fantasy "girl Gestapo" figs, and yes, cartoon Hitler figs. Possibly a comment on the times, I dunno. That back-o'-the-box artwork is somethin' else, in'nit?

So now are we done with this stuff? Oh heil no!

15 August - A Doll A Day 2021

[Image: august15a.jpg]
15 August - Lookit da kitty! So kuuute!

I've seen the kitty offered separately on eBay, usually for about twenty bucks, if you're interested.

There's also a couple of SS Storm Troopers (called Skinny and Fatso) available, or a complete set that includes both versions of the "Devil King" (but we know who he is) and the two SS Storm Trooper figures.

'Kay, yuck! Enough of those guys! How about something more uplifting?

16 August - A Doll A Day 2021

[Image: august16.jpg]
116 August - Sister Albatros Wonders If Nuns are Allowed to Shave their Legs

17 August - A Doll A Day 2021

[Image: august17.jpg]
17 August - Vintage Composition Nun Doll - Approx. 8 inches tall

18 August - A Doll A Day 2021

[Image: august18.jpg]
18 August - Vintage Composition Nun Doll - Approx. 8 inches tall - with Sleep Eyes - and Original Box

I purchased these old nun dolls on eBay for cheap, with the intent of using the costume pieces for a project, but now that they've arrived... I can't bring myself to do it! They're too nice! They've been taken excellent care of by somebody for half a century or more... probably more like 75 years!

They're not rare or valuable. And I had no intention of collecting old nun dolls. I just wanted to use the costumes and accessories. But... how can I tear apart something that was obviously treasured by somebody for so  long?

I purchased an old nun doll a few weeks ago for the same purpose. The costume was in excellent condition, but the doll itself was plastic and was falling apart, so I felt only a minor twinge of guilt for taking her apart (the costumes are stapled to the body and head).

But these two are older composition dolls, and despite the listings offering them "as is" they are both in excellent condition. One of them even includes the original box, which is stamped "The Nun - 4285."

So now what should I do? I'm feeling torn over something that somebody... who is very likely dead now... treasured for decades. But then the poor dolls were probably sold at an estate sale or donated to a thrift store, and an eBay reseller picked them up for next to nothing and resold them... to a heartless, uncaring brute of a new owner.

I'm pretty much a failure when it comes to "repurposing" old, unwanted things. Sure, I can do it with broken or damaged things, no problem. But... these are nice old dolls! Cute in their old-fashioned composition way.

I can't bring myself to rip them apart.

Maybe I'll have to go back to eBay and keep an eye out for broken ones.

Or maybe I need to buck up and tell myself, "they're just old toys, nobody cares, and there's a ton of them on eBay, so they're not rare, nor are they valuable, so go ahead and use them for your silly craft project. Besides, if you hadn't blabbed about it, nobody would have known."

Except, I would know. And I'd feel badly about destroying them.

19 August - A Doll A Day 2021

[Image: august19.jpg]
19 August - Vampire Hunter

20 August - A Doll A Day 2021

[Image: august20.jpg]
20 August - "We're Gonna Rock This Town!"

21 August - A Doll A Day 2021

[Image: august21.jpg]
21 August - "Rock It Inside Out!"

22 August - A Doll A Day 2021

[Image: august22.jpg]
22 August - "We're Gonna Rock This Town!
Make 'Em Scream and Shout!"

23 August - A Doll A Day 2021

[Image: august23.jpg]
23 August - Seamless Kenna Roswell Ver. 3.0
Okay, this one I actually kind of like!

24 August - A Doll A Day 2021

[Image: august24a.jpg]
24 August - Steampunk Hand Cannon

25 August - A Doll A Day 2021

[Image: august25.jpg]
25 August - Antiques Road Show Guy

Yeah, I know, it's a Hasbro Star Wars: Forces of Destiny Kylo Ren figure, but it always makes me think of the guy Mike from the History Channel TV show American Pickers:

26 August - A Doll A Day 2021

[Image: august26.jpg]
26 August - "What'cha think? Should I Chop Him in Half
With my Laser Sword like I Did with my Last Boyfriend?"

Go for it, Rey!

27 August - A Doll A Day 2021

[Image: august27.jpg]
27 August - Monster High Power Ghouls Clawdeen Wolf

28 August - A Doll A Day 2021

[Image: august28.jpg]
28 August - Chile Verde at Escobars!

FINALLY! ALL CAUGHT UP!

I apologize for allowing myself to fall behind in my daily posts. I have no legitimate excuse, it was purely laziness and a lack of organization on my part.

Technically A Doll A Day is about taking and posting a doll picture every day. Well, I've taken pics every day. It was the posting that was problematic. But we're back on track and we're gonna stay on track!

RE: davidd’s A DOLL A DAY 2021 - Alliecat - 08-28-2021

With this growing (? is it?, I assume some of these are new?) military crew, I'm thinking you need to do some kind of exchange program with the Marwencol gang LOL
Sister Albatros made me laugh.  Her ex-pression is perfect -- she looks so intent there.
I think it's lovely that you thought about some probably-elderly-person treasuring those dolls and even though s/he's probably gone, respecting that they meant something to that person.  It makes you wonder who they were, what sort of life they had, what events the dolls were present for...
Maybe they could become the guardians of your crew or something, with an annual visit to the top of the Christmas tree?
Rey might not want to take him on... the high ground and all*
I can identify with the laziness and lack of organization.  >sighh<
Anyway, it was fun to see such a big bunch of photos all at once.

*2nd-Most Overused Star Wars Meme