Werepuppy's (Attempt At) Doll-A-Day 2019!
I love FL Draculaura's outfit!

Some Groove's Wonderlands have two or three Alices... I think there are many various kinds of Wonderlands... One of my favorite aspects of the Alice stories is that Carroll created very specific world, but somehow managed to keep things vague enough for illustrators to be able to go nuts with visuals. Disney version kind of killed that, because nowadays, everyone considers Disney's Wonderland the default and often the only rendition. This is not to take a jab at Disney's version per se (it's pretty cool! Although I haven't seen it...), rather the fact that most people don't really read the books anymore and don't try to imagine something different than what they've seen on TV. Uh, sorry, talking about Wonderland somehow always makes me rant...
(06-21-2019, 06:11 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: This is not to take a jab at Disney's version per se (it's pretty cool! Although I haven't seen it...)

yay   yay   yay  I am totally cracking up at this!  LOL  LOL  LOL

Although honestly, if I have seen it, which I think I have, it must not have been very memorable, because, while I am familiar with the appearances of most of the characters, I cannot recall any one specific event or scene from the film. I have read that Alice in Wonderland is generally considered by animation buffs to be one of the Disney studio's less successful efforts.

I could tell a story about the Disney Alice in Wonderland character, but I shall save it for another time, rather than further derailing werepuppy's topic.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
Oh boy, alternate-universe Wonderlands. Could get messy! LOL
Cheers on the charity-shop find. It's fun to see what people find in these places.
Get-well wishes to your dad. Hope the shingles abate soon.
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
(06-21-2019, 02:20 AM)davidd Wrote: Based on the Groove/June Planning Pullip family releases, there could be quite a few Wonderlands, each with their own Alice.
Nice charity shop find! She even has her shoes! Ulla-D was fortunate to be rescued by someone who will appreciate her.

That's actually quite a fun concept? Someone with more than one of the Alices should do a crossover - Crisis of the Multi-Wonderlands!
One of the shoes has snapped at the strap around the ankle, but a small elastic holds it together atm, and I'm sure I'll be able to glue it back together. Though with how tight they are on her, I'm not surprised it happened. Am really pleased to have this particular version.

(06-21-2019, 03:13 AM)Jubilee Wrote: I like that outfit for Draculara it reminds me of a lolita style a little bit. (Maybe except the mustard tights not really a fan of).

I do agree, this is one of my favourite looks for Draculaura, but the tights are a bit... IDK, personally I think white with the pink dots would have worked better than the yellow. They did seem to put her in yellow a lot, and I still don't get why for that...

(06-21-2019, 06:11 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I love FL Draculaura's outfit!

Some Groove's Wonderlands have two or three Alices... I think there are many various kinds of Wonderlands... One of my favorite aspects of the Alice stories is that Carroll created very specific world, but somehow managed to keep things vague enough for illustrators to be able to go nuts with visuals. Disney version kind of killed that, because nowadays, everyone considers Disney's Wonderland the default and often the only rendition. This is not to take a jab at Disney's version per se (it's pretty cool! Although I haven't seen it...), rather the fact that most people don't really read the books anymore and don't try to imagine something different than what they've seen on TV. Uh, sorry, talking about Wonderland somehow always makes me rant...

It really is one of her best looks! 

The Disney version has some really cool parts - I love how they did the flowers - but I don't think it's necessarily the definitive version. I like how the text leaves a lot of it up to interpretation. My personal favourite - in terms of adaptations - was the 2009 Syfy mini-series simply called Alice. It was more a sequel with a touch of re-imagining, and it had this cool Deep Purple/60's vibe to it, and leaned into the card motive a bit. It had a unique look - for Wonderland - and yeah. Just stands out.  But rant away, I'm always interested in your depth of Wonderland knowledge! 

(06-21-2019, 10:30 AM)davidd Wrote: Although honestly, if I have seen it, which I think I have, it must not have been very memorable, because, while I am familiar with the appearances of most of the characters, I cannot recall any one specific event or scene from the film. I have read that Alice in Wonderland is generally considered by animation buffs to be one of the Disney studio's less successful efforts.

I could tell a story about the Disney Alice in Wonderland character, but I shall save it for another time, rather than further derailing werepuppy's topic.

I mean, from a financial point of view, at the time, Alice in Wonderland was a bust for Disney. It's gained a following in the years since and now makes them a lot of money, but at the time it was very much not one of their best. Though if you've seen some of Mary Blair's concept art for it... Oh, I wish they had gone with her work, it's such a wonderful art style. 

... I would be interested in hearing said story. 

(06-21-2019, 12:13 PM)Alliecat Wrote: Oh boy, alternate-universe Wonderlands.  Could get messy! LOL
Cheers on the charity-shop find.  It's fun to see what people find in these places.
Get-well wishes to your dad.  Hope the shingles abate soon.

Could even get, shall we say, mad? LOL.
My local charity shops really can be hits and misses depending on the time of year. There haven't been any good dolls in them in a long time, though books always seem to find something interesting.
Thanks! He's sleeping a lot because it's a good way to deal with the pain. We've been told it can take 2 - 4 weeks to get through. 

- - - 

172. Always Be There Singing Songs In My Head
[Image: 56229639_62284060d4308fa260370a06b3823db8_standard.jpg]
Poor Gazza. Being the Dreamer is not an easy job...
Err, this isn't about earworms, is it? LOL That's from the musical inspired by The Queen, right?
(06-22-2019, 01:45 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Err, this isn't about earworms, is it? LOL That's from the musical inspired by The Queen, right?

The musical inspired by the rock band Queen, yeah. Gaz is The Dreamer - a person foretold who would remember the songs of the past, and lead the rebels to the place of living rock, to re-find real instruments and bring back real music.  ... It's a fun show, I promise.
173. The Mad Hatter and the Rabbie
[Image: 54339348_6f3b75c2991940286909c1ce574edc68_standard.jpg]
The boys could probably have some fun together...
I love Hatter's elaborate costume.

This version of Hatter is considerably less disturbing than that other one... you know which one.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
Oh, but where's the March Hare? Or November Hare, since this is the Purple Rabbit version of Wonderland... And the insomniac chipmunk is also missing! It doesn't make very good nonsense to switch chairs just between the two of them! Then again, it was the best butter...
@werepuppy maybe the yellow is to show her personality is bubbly .-.. But still I think maybe if they just changed the tights to black or give her frilly socks with small bows on the top it could of been better.The white tights with pink polka dots idea is cute though, it seems like something she would wear.
Hatter has such nice eyes. I wonder how a Pullip with those chips & eyeliner would look...
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
The Hatter is very cool
Alternative Wonderlands are a really interesting idea - I might have to mull over that for a while & see if anything comes of it.

It's good that Rabbie is finding home with the variety of Alice & Mad Hatter. Who is just gorgeous, by the way. I do like that version a lot.
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
(06-23-2019, 01:37 AM)davidd Wrote: I love Hatter's elaborate costume.

This version of Hatter is considerably less disturbing than that other one... you know which one.

Classical Mad Hatter is just so... He's so elaborate, it's amazing. And yes, much less disturbing. This guy seems less likely to put something in your tea...

(06-23-2019, 03:03 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Oh, but where's the March Hare? Or November Hare, since this is the Purple Rabbit version of Wonderland... And the insomniac chipmunk is also missing! It doesn't make very good nonsense to switch chairs just between the two of them! Then again, it was the best butter...

They just really like playing musical chairs, apparently. Alice joined them later on. 

(06-23-2019, 04:58 AM)Jubilee Wrote: maybe the yellow is to show her personality is bubbly .-.. But still I think maybe if they just changed the tights to black or give her frilly socks with small bows on the top it could of been better.The white tights with pink polka dots idea is cute though, it seems like something she would wear.

Ooh, I really like the idea of the frilly socks with bows. That would look so lovely. 

(06-23-2019, 11:38 AM)Alliecat Wrote: Hatter has such nice eyes.  I wonder how a Pullip with those chips & eyeliner would look...

... Oh, oh, that would be interesting to see. 

(06-23-2019, 12:47 PM)Elfy Wrote: The Hatter is very cool

I really do like this Hatter.

(06-23-2019, 06:59 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: Alternative Wonderlands are a really interesting idea - I might have to mull over that for a while & see if anything comes of it.

It's good that Rabbie is finding home with the variety of Alice & Mad Hatter.  Who is just gorgeous, by the way.  I do like that version a lot.

It does feel like an idea with a lot of merit to it. Like there's so much mileage with it. 

I'm so pleased to have this one. 

- - - 

174. Make It Mine Hayley
[Image: 56353413_877892d64cffc0944153c40888eab527_standard.jpg]
A lucky bargain find. She's 1/4 scale, and she's taken her place as Helena's little sister. I need to try to find her shoes. Also socks, of the stripey kind.
Oh course she needs stripy socks - it’s practically a requirement to belong to this forum LOL
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)