I've never had this happen before, what do you think?
I've done overseas shipping before to many places. I usually don't have a problem shipping a doll anywhere, as long as she's going to a good home. Today I went to the post office with seven packages. One I accidentally sent to New York with the wrong zip code (crossing my fingers that she will get back to me safe and sound, it was my doll I sent for customizations). Three I sent quickly, but three the man behind the counter started freaking out about. One to the UK, one to Mexico, and one to Brazil.
He said it was unsafe to send them without insurance (I had wanted tracking on all of them) and it would cost 30-40 dollars EACH. He gave me packets of forms to fill out, and sent me home with three boxes and a doll going to new york with a new zipcode he scribbled on, which I went home to find incorrect. Not his fault, but Im sure panicking. It was crazy for me packing up so many of my beloved girls and I had wanted to get them all on their way to new homes asap. But I thought the whole thing was crazy, he was saying they would open the packages and steal the doll!

What do you guys think?

-BJDs : LM Harmony Chloe, Soom Galena, OR-doll Eris, Souldoll Madalyn, BC Bellezza Carla, La Légende de Temps Edria, nDoll Lovers Ver Yuko, Spiritdoll Blanc White Queen Heart Heart

-My flickr
I don't think they can make you send with insurance if you don't want to. I've sent packages to the UK without insurance, and it was only around $14.
I've only sent two international packages, and they were both to Greece. The postman asked if I wanted insurance, but explained it would be really expensive (around $30-$40 sounds about right Noxx7), and if the contents were worth less than the insurance, then don't bother. Then again, I was only sending a few ponies, worth at the most $20 vs. a $80-$100 dollar doll, so I can see how he'd be paranoid. Wouldn't they have someone monitoring for those things in customs?
Heart 2 At home:
Barasuishou (Bara), Celsiy (Kai), Custom Nina (Sailor Scout), Custom Nahhto (unnamed)
Heart 2 Wishlist;
Pullips: Lunatic Queen, Hatsune Miku, Shan-ria, Pink Romantic Alice, Youtsuzu, Prunella,
Dals: Ciel, Joujou, Maretti, Lizbel
Taeyang: Black Butler, Raiki
Heart 2 i dream in Dollies
For places such as Italy and Brazil, always get delivery confirmation at least.
Both countries have terrible and untrustworthy mail systems and thats why many sellers avoid shipping to both these places! So to avoid this, or being scammed on PayPal you MUST get delivery confirmation to prove you sent the doll and that they recieved it.

As for insurance, again I'd recommend it when sending to Italy and Brazil as it's common for people not to recieve their mail or have things ripped open and broken/stolen.

[Image: 25zqs0p.png]

- The Girls -
Veritas My Melody x 2 Hello Kitty x 2
Nina Chill x 2 Papin Fanatica Nana Chan
Greggia Nahh-Ato x 4 Ddalgi Stella Sfoglia
Lunatic Queen x 2 Peter Pan '14 Kirakishou Nanette
La Robe Vert Clair Favorite Ribbon Prupate x 2
Yeolume x 2 Puki JouJou x 2 Maretti
Sucre Chanti Heart Macaron

>> Click to add me on Flickr <<
>> Click to add me on Tumblr <<

I send quite a few overseas parcels through the post office. In the past year I have sent Pullips to Spain, France, Czech Republic, and Brazil, and other doll-related items to UK. Everything arrived intact. I never add insurance.

However, I do not ship to Mexico. I have heard too many stories about problems when shipping to Mexico.

I don't understand why the postal clerk would be "freaking out" about shipping the items without insurance. Sometimes the postal clerks at my local post offices will "recommend" insurance. But it depends on the postal clerk. Some can be quite insistent. The best approach I've found is to ask, "what is the least expensive option?"

When shipping Pullips overseas, I box them in a Pullip-sized box, then put that box in a slightly larger box. If you box the parcel carefully so it is not too heavy (under 4 pounds) you can ship it "First Class International Parcel," which is equally as fast as "Priority Mail" but less expensive. I find it costs around $20.00 to ship a Pullip internationally -- the price varies depending on the country.

As you know, you will have to attach a Customs form. Again, if the box is under 4 pounds, you need only use the small, one-piece form.

If you are concerned about delivery, rather than insuring the parcel, you can upgrade to Registered Mail. This will add $11.00 to the regular postage, and will require a signature upon delivery. Registered Mail is supposed to be trackable, but it depends on the country: I have found that delivery confirmation is questionable in some countries even with Registered Mail.

I recently discovered that sometimes you can enter a Customs Form number in the tracking box at USPS.com and get tracking information.

If I were in your situation, I would send the Mexico parcel First Class Registered. I would register the parcel to Brazil if it is not going to a major city (Rio de Janiero or Sao Paulo or someplace you've heard of). I would send the UK parcel simple First Class.

I have found that delivery time can vary greatly. This winter I mailed two identical parcels to the UK as First Class Parcels. One arrived in three days! The other required nearly two months!

As for the parcel to New York with the incorrect ZIP code: I hope you got a tracking number on it. At least that way you can track it every few days and get an idea where it is. Usually an incorrect ZIP code will result in a delivery delay of a few to several days, but the item will get there eventually.

If it is an option, I would start taking my parcels to a different post office, or at least make sure you get a different clerk the next time you go.

Oh, in addition to mailing things internationally, I worked for the post office for a few years, both as a mail carrier and as a clerk in the processing plant; that's why I suggest sending "First Class" whenever possible. First Class and Priority receive identical handling in the processing facility. Parcel Post (also called Surface Rate) is the slower service, but it is no longer offered for international shipments.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
Thanks guys. Good stuff to know. No I didnt send the doll head with tracking as I was thinking it wasnt going very far and it was a very small box. Ugh, Im worried about it.

-BJDs : LM Harmony Chloe, Soom Galena, OR-doll Eris, Souldoll Madalyn, BC Bellezza Carla, La Légende de Temps Edria, nDoll Lovers Ver Yuko, Spiritdoll Blanc White Queen Heart Heart

-My flickr
I think it would be a big mistake not to insure/track a parcel over $50 going to Italy, Brazil or anywhere in South America.

You'd end up having to refund the total if they paid via "goods".

Even PS only ship to these places via EMS which is insured and tracked.

- The Girls -

(03-18-2011, 09:04 PM)Chihiro Wrote: or anywhere in South America.

I'm going to have to agree with this. One or two packages I sent to a friend in Argentina turned up missing, and several others got stuck in customs for months. I'd send her something(with insurance) and she'd get it like 3 months later. So not worth the risk for you to not have tracking and insurance.
I just sent the dolls out today and the total shipping was 110 USD.

Ouch.

-My flickr
Was it not all covered by the buyers though?!

- The Girls -

I charged 15 dollars for shipping at first, not knowing it would be so expensive as I'd never had a problem like this before. I used 15 dollars as a base amount, being more or less I'd refund etc. One buyer sent the rest of the shipping money to me last night, one said she'd pay me the rest after the doll was sent, and one hasn't responded to my PMs concerning it as of yet. So it was partially out of my own pocket. Hopefully I will be refunded completly ^^

-My flickr
Awh that was really decent of you smile
I hope you get the rest of the money back too!

- The Girls -

I really hope you get the rest of the money back, N0xx7. It would be a shame if your story became an example as to why people won't ship overseas due to expense.

I'm sorry getting things out proved so difficult!
[Image: 5920509991_cec2cfd2b3.jpg]
Man, I really wish I read something like this earlier.
I sent a package to Argentina without insurance about a month ago and she told me it hasn't arrived yet. Now I'm so scared. v____v
[Image: Bianca.gif]
That was really sweet of you Noxx7. Hopefully that last person you sold to replies quickly. I actually just sent something to Finland on saturday, and after reading your thread I was really nervous to ship it off without tracking or insurance. The value of the box was only $30 so insurance would've been higher, and if it did go missing, I could just refund the buyer their money. It's still $30 lost though.
Heart 2 At home:
Barasuishou (Bara), Celsiy (Kai), Custom Nina (Sailor Scout), Custom Nahhto (unnamed)
Heart 2 Wishlist;
Pullips: Lunatic Queen, Hatsune Miku, Shan-ria, Pink Romantic Alice, Youtsuzu, Prunella,
Dals: Ciel, Joujou, Maretti, Lizbel
Taeyang: Black Butler, Raiki
Heart 2 i dream in Dollies