KiraKira's glass cabochon eyechips
(04-03-2013, 04:59 PM)davidd Wrote: I know this topic is several months old. I hope this is not considered a "necro" reply, as the conversation and the information still seem relevant.

I really appreciate the clear, concise tutorial... a tutorial with a sense of humor! It was fun to read, and you make this seem like a fun project to attempt! In fact, inspired by your post, I just ordered some cabochons. Now to track down the E-6000... and then work up some eye backings. I appreciate that you shared your "secrets" for creating eyechips with such a remarkable impression of depth to them.

I knew you had mentioned in the past that you made your own eyechips. Your recent photos of Mirai on Flickr inspired me to search for your eyechip photos, which led to this topic.

I'm looking forward to trying this.

I hope you have fun...and since we are in the same state...Walmart has the cheapest priced E-6000...
smile
Currently playing:  Animal Crossing: New Horizons on the Nintendo Switch
Friend Code 2036-6707-2961 (KiraKira)
Currently reading: If I Had Your Face by Frances Cha
Last movie I saw:  Parasite
Thank you! That's where I was going to check first!
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
I try to made my own eyechips. I bought 12 mm glass cabochons on etsy but there is a huuuuge gab.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/steffipusc...2/sizes/m/

is this normal? Ive heard that Type 3 pullips got 12 mm and type 4 13mm. Is this true? Tgere are notuch 13 mm chips and all are too high about 5 mm so they can't blink anymore
flickr
Pullip delight on Facebook
Pullip delight on etsy

My pullip girls:

Ayume (Melissa) * Miyu (Hello Kitty) * Sakura (MIO Custom) * Mizuki (Bonita) * Alice (Romantic Alice) * Merl * Midori (Paja Reg) * Nana (Nanette) * Mei (MIO Custom) * Megumi (MIO Custom) * Niji (MIO Custom) * Sui (Suiseiseki) * Miku (Miku Hatsune)
{some of the photos in this tutorial aren't working sad }
FSWTBLJ
Seeking Dal Ange (Christmas Dal) eyechips
Thanks for letting me know about the broken flickr links, fishy. (That might have happened because I deleted a whole bunch of pics from my flickr account last year.) I'll see if I can fix it.

(08-18-2014, 05:18 AM)Steffipuschel Wrote: I try to made my own eyechips. I bought 12 mm glass cabochons on etsy but there is a huuuuge gab.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/steffipusc...2/sizes/m/

is this normal? Ive heard that Type 3 pullips got 12 mm and type 4 13mm. Is this true? Tgere are notuch 13 mm chips and all are too high about 5 mm so they can't blink anymore

The newer pullips seem to have a larger eyechip size than the older ones. The last pullip I have is ALa--one of the two-part head Type 3 girls, so I'm not sure how the glass cabochon eyechips fit in post Type 3 pullips.

The domes of the cabochon are rather high and the way they protrude can interfere with the blink function of the eye-mech. I can still get my pullips to blink by not screwing the eye-mech fully flush into the faceplate. That way it has a little bit of give, and allows the eyelid springs to work.

If that bothers you, you might want to use clear plastic coolcat chips, or clear, round epoxy stickers. I don't think I've ever seen them in 13mm size, though.
Currently playing:  Animal Crossing: New Horizons on the Nintendo Switch
Friend Code 2036-6707-2961 (KiraKira)
Currently reading: If I Had Your Face by Frances Cha
Last movie I saw:  Parasite
After playing with my odd Naomi and an Ala, I can tell you they have the same head shape. This is different than the current type 4 girls. The newest girls have bigger chips than Ala and Naomi. I had a pack of MIO chips that I won at Puddle, and they were too large to fit into Naomi's eye mech.
Feedback
Flickr
ipernity
Currently reading: The Friday Society
The older t4s have smaller (and better-looking, imho) eyechips. My Melissa has 12mm chips, but Miku's eyes are HUGE.

I honestly think that they changed the size to foist these vastly-overpriced mio chips on us, as 12mm chips are easily made and had... :S

The older t4s are cuter... sad
FSWTBLJ
Seeking Dal Ange (Christmas Dal) eyechips
Thank you for the tutorial. I'm going to try this ^ u^

http://www.sheryldesigns.com/orders/eyes-tutorial/
^^ explains types of eyes. 13mm cabochons need to be sandpapered down slightly to fit according to this tutorial. 12mm will leave a crevice that can be filled it
Thanks for your replys.
Yesterday I tried the glas chips on my Souseiseki (Type 3) and they fit definitely better. The gap is not that big. But I'm lazy and don't clean they eyemech 100% so you see the purple Rest on the one eye ^^ The green rest wasn't that bad, because I want her to have green eyes..

I already tried epoxy stickers in 12,7mm
They fit Really great
[Image: 14757363638_0cc005138b_z.jpg]
But they are harder to work with. the are selfadhesive so if you touch them on the bottom you see the finger print even after glueing and its little bit hard to cut them out after the glue dries because they are so thin and I uses 2 layers of 270 g/m paper to gave them the correct high.
And the aren't so beautyful like the rounder glass ones..

But if the can't blink I guess i will use the mean epoxy ones furthermore.

I used this one

https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/15297138...r?ref=sc_1&sref=sr_cf1e8da41030a83256a1393c173ee34d689c43ad46ac2c1a106867aeae49edeb_1408422416_14197069_epoxy&sref2=MTUyOTcxMzgz%3AZXBveHk.%3AMTQxOTcwNjk.%3AZXBveHkgMTNtbQ..%3Ady4w%3AMTQwODQyMjQxNg..%3AMzoxNDA4NDIyNDE2OmlyTFJJTWdQMVQ4X3ZBd3FyeVRpME45OHd0TWM6ZDBjM2E4Y2JmNjkyM2FjYzExNGJjODcxNjNmMmMzZGFhNDM4NWRkZGY2YzIwYWRiYWQxMmM0ZDA1ODRkYjYyZQ..%3A578b73b3886f6af13540731496959338b178192d&ga_search_query=epoxy+13mm&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_ship_to=DE&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery
flickr
Pullip delight on Facebook
Pullip delight on etsy

My pullip girls:

Ayume (Melissa) * Miyu (Hello Kitty) * Sakura (MIO Custom) * Mizuki (Bonita) * Alice (Romantic Alice) * Merl * Midori (Paja Reg) * Nana (Nanette) * Mei (MIO Custom) * Megumi (MIO Custom) * Niji (MIO Custom) * Sui (Suiseiseki) * Miku (Miku Hatsune)