Lavinia's new dress!
So I bought this packet of Blythe patterns, trying to sew something -different-, and I was really excited that one of them contained instructions for three different styles of dresses (with additional options on top of that!) sewn from vintage handkerchiefs. I've always loved handkerchiefs and had a whole collection when I was a kid, hand me downs from my Grandmother, Great-Grandmother, Great Aunts, and the like. I wonder if that collection is still around somewhere! :3

Anyway, I picked the simplest seeming dress in the lot and made a dress for my Lavinia.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

It was my first time sewing something with a lining; I didn't want to deviate from the instructions (even though my fabric wasn't that sheer). It's a luscious linen fabric, sewing with it was a dream!

This pattern was designed to showcase one of the (usually ornate) corners of the handkerchief:

Even though this one was relatively simple, I think it turned out pretty. I used an edge with the trim to do the skirt, which left cute detailing in the back:

Seeing her in this dress, I decided she simply had to be a southern belle in training (and oh, how her Momma frets over those freckles!) A pale linen dress is a perfect way to survive a long summer day in the humid climate! :3

Anyway, I love this pattern and can't wait to make one of the other handkerchief ones. I think I'll do the pinafore/apron style for my other Dal Millie, since the fabric of the other handkerchief is quite sheer and good for layering.

And this is what I was up till 4 am making last night!
What a cute idea. I see a new fashion line in the works smile
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
It looks lovely. (Any way you can rotate future photos so we can see your creation in full glory easier?)
My feedback:
http://forums.dollymarket.net/showthread.php?tid=539796

Join us at the Pullip and Dal Doll Lovers Event in June 2024. The theme is Retro Memories Sweet Sixteen.
http://www.puddlestyle.com/
You did a great job. It's really cute! Do you mind if I ask where you fount the patterns?
Feedback
Flickr
ipernity
Currently reading: The Friday Society
On etsy! The designer is KristyAnne and I think that's the name of her shop. Her patterns are mail order, but really nice: I bought some great Monster High patterns from her before so i knew these would be good!

True, of course I can get more pictures! I'm planning an outdoor photoshoot, but not today, because it's all mud out there today. :/
What a lovely dress, your Dal is so cute!
She looks so happy in that dress! 4 am?? That's some dedication Whacked It looks really good, I'm looking forward to seeing the outdoor photos yay
[Image: Untitled_3.png]
Not so much dedication as having a really messed up sleep schedule AND being temporarily off the medication that regulates it! grin I do get really absorbed in tasks like that and I find hand sewing to be really calming. Especially if I have a pattern, I just follow the instructions and zone out.

The epic unfinished goth gown, now, I've been working on that for several weeks...while I plot out what to do next...

And thank you for the compliments! I had a lot of fun with it.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/51904522/ha...for-blythe

Is where I got the pattern. (I need to make a secret undercover trip to the craft store to get some elastic to make bloomers!)
That came out really cute! I buy old hankies and linens from time to time with the same idea, but I have yet to get around to doing anything with them.
(07-16-2014, 08:33 AM)Severity Wrote: https://www.etsy.com/listing/51904522/ha...for-blythe

Is where I got the pattern. (I need to make a secret undercover trip to the craft store to get some elastic to make bloomers!)

Oh great! I have just bought a Blythe patterns from that shop so it is good to know that the pattern instructions are easy to follow.....I just have to wait for it to arrive in the UK now!
The pieces are the right size and well labeled. The instructions are concise and use a lot of abbreviations: they're not as simple as, say, requiem's patterns. I'm just glad the pieces are the right size, I bought a bunch of downloadable patterns that printed at the wrong scale and I've been too lazy to resize the images!