Paloma, my Blithe custom from Bee's Dreamland (fakie/factory)
[CN: opinions on factory/fakes, bootlegs, etc]

My love for custom dolls carries over into all doll types. The Blythe hobby is full of all kinds of cute custom dolls, but many of those dolls are "factory" Blythe dolls--that is, made up of parts allegedly stolen from a Blythe doll production factory, or fake Blythes, which I believe means made using molds cast from genuine Blythe faces. So, basically a recast Blythe. My personal stance is that I don't go looking for knockoffs, copies, or bootleg products. I try to get the real thing. I don't have any Angelgate Pullips, and I frown upon recast BJDs. In my poking around the Blythe hobby, I saw that there are collectors who own both genuine Blythes, and fakies. However, there are many collectors who shunned the fakies and customs altogether, and only collect Kenners or other stock Takara Blythes.

I'm always been neutral on the fake/factory issue. I figured that if you are planning on customizing a Blythe, it makes sense to use a fakie or factory Blythe since you're essentially sanding and carving away and there is very little of the original doll left. Factory/fakes are less expensive than genuine Takara Blythes, and by using factory/fakes as your base doll for a custom, it could save a stock Blythe from possible ruin, and preserve it for the people who would want to keep the Blythe fully stock. But then I started to ponder a bit more. Factory/fakies are inherently wrong because of the lack of honesty in the way they originated. Somebody went and smuggled out parts that they didn't have any right to, or they made molds of Blythe's head so that they could make their own version of Blythe from it. This is cutting into the money earned from the company that makes Blythe...if people take their money and spend it on factory/fakes, then that is less money that the company is getting.

Which brings me to Paloma...my Blithe doll.
[Image: 18653834192_e44904e1cf.jpg]Paloma's Arrival--Bee's Dreamland Custom (fake Blythe)

blithe
blīT͟H,blīTH/

adjective
adjective: blithe; comparative adjective: blither; superlative adjective: blithest

showing a casual and cheerful indifference considered to be callous or improper.

[Image: 18653862682_d842afc8fb.jpg]Paloma's Arrival--Bee's Dreamland Custom (fake Blythe) by KiraKira a.k.a. JustLikeWasabi (but you can call me Shann!), on Flickr

Paloma is my sweet little custom girl from Bee's Dreamland. I had wanted a Bee's Dreamland custom for months. Ever since Bee had been accepting commissions, I started searching for a secondhand, nude Blythe to send to her. I found a few on ebay, but alas, I kept getting outbid. This went on for many weeks, possibly months even, and I gave up on it for a while. I thought about ordering a NRFB or new release Blythe, but I couldn't find one that I liked (hair, stock outfit & accessories). I felt like, if I am going to pay those release prices, I should at least like most of the doll. And then I saw this custom on BuzzingBumblebee's flickr, and read that she was in hers etsy shop. The only sticky point was that the base was a fakie or factory doll. My resolve to not purchase a fake/factory Blythe broke, and I made the decision to purchase this custom. My thinking is that what's done is done, the doll has been customized, and I just love the Bee's work. It's not Paloma's fault that she's made up of factory/fake parts, that she's a Blithe, and not a Blythe. I would love her the same regardless.

[Image: 18470879658_288c970534.jpg]Paloma's Arrival--Bee's Dreamland Custom (fake Blythe) by KiraKira a.k.a. JustLikeWasabi (but you can call me Shann!), on Flickr

Bee has been putting these beautiful butterfly wings on the eyelids of her custom dolls. Look at her lashes! Paloma is beautifully blushed, and exquisitely carved. Her lips and subtle freckling are perfect. I couldn't resist leaving her to sit on etsy any longer, and I had to have her.

[Image: 18470899210_8599b11bd9.jpg]Paloma's Arrival--Bee's Dreamland Custom (fake Blythe) by KiraKira a.k.a. JustLikeWasabi (but you can call me Shann!), on Flickr
This is Bee's trademark bumblebee logo that shows this is an original Bee's Dreamland custom. Paloma is custom girl #9. I'm hoping that Paloma won't be my only Bee's Dreamland custom.

[Image: 18037931113_53d27aaa81.jpg]Paloma's Arrival--Bee's Dreamland Custom (fake Blythe) by KiraKira a.k.a. JustLikeWasabi (but you can call me Shann!), on Flickr
I know it is hypocritical of me to not support bootlegs, clones, factory/fakies, knockoffs, recasts, etc., and to have one in my collection. At the end of the day, it is my collection, and my money, and it is finished, so no sense looking back because I cannot turn back time, and I regret nothing. While I won't get any more factory/fake dolls, I think what I will do is to get a genuine Takara Blythe and have her sent to Bee to get customized. And then I'll put it side-by-side with Paloma and I promise you that I would not love one more than the other.

Anyway, Paloma is my work doll. She stands on my desk at work in the back office, and is kept company by my WWE Chris Jericho action figure and my plastic Finn the Human figurine. Having her around to brighten up my office makes it easier to report to work.

If you would like to see more photos of Paloma the Blithe, please visit my flickr!
Currently playing:  Animal Crossing: New Horizons on the Nintendo Switch
Friend Code 2036-6707-2961 (KiraKira)
Currently reading: If I Had Your Face by Frances Cha
Last movie I saw:  Parasite
Wow, she is lovely! smile
FSWTBLJ
Seeking Dal Ange (Christmas Dal) eyechips
Eek, Kira, she is exquisite!!! Heart

You know, I'm of the opinion that once a doll has been customised she is a work of art in her own right and it doesn't matter what she was before (though naturally if selling you'd need to be honest about the base Tongue). You're certainly right that fake customs are just as gorgeous as Takara customs. As you say they're our collections and our money!

You must be just thrilled with your new cutie, Paloma is such a perfect name for her too! Congrats! Bee sure does the sweetest custom gals smile
Pullips: Langley(Asuka), Maddie(Merl), Ophelia(Tiphona), Camille(Kiyomi), Ally(Classical Alice), Roz(Rosalind), Nate(Nosferatu), Eirwen(Snow White), Mariette(Milk Latte), Lily(Puki), Nataleigh(Nanette), Courtney(Reg Fan), Nami(Rei), Fleur(Luna), , Tiberius(Tantus), Petunia (Jouet 2.0),  Vanessa(BRH), Mary(Oui'Vera), Hugo(Gyro), Bella(Chibi Risa), Nicki(NekoMao), Sunny(Raphia), Dorian(Custom), Odette(Isolde), Aisha(Nahh), Lian(China), Maaya(Nina), Haruka(Purezza), Hero(Apollo), Cecily(Sfoglia), Carly(Podo), Suri(Blackberry), Dominique(Shinku), Temperance(Veritas), Clair(Violetta), Bonnie(Hello Kitty), Emily(Si'Anna), September(Fourrure), Natsume(Summer Purezza), Cherami(Akemi), Kate(Paja), Lizzy(Elisabeth), Crissy(Papin), Siegfried(Arion), Andromeda(Ra Muw), Wanda(Hermine), Odile(Adsiltia), Daisy(Leroy), Maggie(RQ), Cissa(Chibi Risa), Sam(Mao), Amelia(Sailor Saturn), Susan(Silane), Nora(Alura), Momo(Youtsuzu), Hanzo(Okita)
She's such a little beauty ! I even got excited thinking this was a sales thread for her LOLLOL

Personally, I'll always buy legit Pullips/BJD's but I do own one "factory" Blythe out of my 3 girls. I'd also be open to buying more if they're sweeties like your girl Shann ! I adore my fakie just as much as my others, just because she happens to be a "factory" it doesn't devalue her in my eyes. She's cute and that's that ! XP

Although I'm really not sure why I'm quite alright with the "factory" Blythes, but not so much recast BJD's... And definitely not Angel Gates o.o

[Image: 25zqs0p.png]

- The Girls -
Veritas My Melody x 2 Hello Kitty x 2
Nina Chill x 2 Papin Fanatica Nana Chan
Greggia Nahh-Ato x 4 Ddalgi Stella Sfoglia
Lunatic Queen x 2 Peter Pan '14 Kirakishou Nanette
La Robe Vert Clair Favorite Ribbon Prupate x 2
Yeolume x 2 Puki JouJou x 2 Maretti
Sucre Chanti Heart Macaron

[Image: 25zqs0p.png]

>> Click to add me on Flickr <<
>> Click to add me on Tumblr <<

She's a beaut! Heart
Congrats! She's a lovely girl and I'm sure you will cherish her.

I don't support knock offs, either. But I feel a conflict where customized Blythe fakies are concerned, because so many of them are really gorgeous.
(06-11-2015, 06:58 AM)fishy Wrote: Wow, she is lovely! smile

Thank you! I am really stoked that I have her--she makes even the crappiest days dealing with the most horrible people seem...uh...not so bad.

(06-11-2015, 07:33 AM)Missy_Crane Wrote: Eek, Kira, she is exquisite!!! Heart

You know, I'm of the opinion that once a doll has been customised she is a work of art in her own right and it doesn't matter what she was before (though naturally if selling you'd need to be honest about the base Tongue). You're certainly right that fake customs are just as gorgeous as Takara customs. As you say they're our collections and our money!

You must be just thrilled with your new cutie, Paloma is such a perfect name for her too! Congrats! Bee sure does the sweetest custom gals smile

I am just over the moon! I think we hold similar opinions regarding fake customs and Takara customs--they are all works of art. Bee definitely makes adorable custom girls, and I'm happy to have one.

(06-11-2015, 07:38 AM)Chihiro Wrote: She's such a little beauty ! I even got excited thinking this was a sales thread for her LOLLOL

Personally, I'll always buy legit Pullips/BJD's but I do own one "factory" Blythe out of my 3 girls. I'd also be open to buying more if they're sweeties like your girl Shann ! I adore my fakie just as much as my others, just because she happens to be a "factory" it doesn't devalue her in my eyes. She's cute and that's that ! XP

Although I'm really not sure why I'm quite alright with the "factory" Blythes, but not so much recast BJD's... And definitely not Angel Gates o.o

I'm like that too--no recast BJDs, no Angel Gates. Fake blythes...eh, why not? It's mind-boggling. :LOL:

(06-11-2015, 12:35 PM)Marilyn Wrote: She's a beaut! Heart

Thank you! smile I think so too!

(06-11-2015, 01:03 PM)Cornflower Blue Wrote: Congrats! She's a lovely girl and I'm sure you will cherish her.

I don't support knock offs, either. But I feel a conflict where customized Blythe fakies are concerned, because so many of them are really gorgeous.

Thank you--I really do cherish her!

I totally feel that conflict. It appears I have a double-standard regarding my stance on fakes/factory vs. recasts/angelgates/other knockoffs.
Currently playing:  Animal Crossing: New Horizons on the Nintendo Switch
Friend Code 2036-6707-2961 (KiraKira)
Currently reading: If I Had Your Face by Frances Cha
Last movie I saw:  Parasite
Dolls are not a cheap hobby and I feel like the fake Blythes give artists who love to customize a chance at doing so. I bought a simple blythe faceplate of aliexpress and I have no regrets. I'm new to all this and would rather spend $15 and practice on a fake faceplate then by a genuine dolls and then redesign her completely.. and possibly ruin it Tongue
(06-12-2015, 01:29 AM)Zora Wrote: Dolls are not a cheap hobby and I feel like the fake Blythes give artists who love to customize a chance at doing so. I bought a simple blythe faceplate of aliexpress and I have no regrets. I'm new to all this and would rather spend $15 and practice on a fake faceplate then by a genuine dolls and then redesign her completely.. and possibly ruin it Tongue

Yesyesyes. I have baited SO MANY dolls getting to become "a gweat fasheup artizt liike myufish andd sheryldesignz! grin. musst not beez to hard, rite?! grin "

I really don't mind people using fakies for customs. The only thing that really bothers me is the full counterfeit of stock dolls: I want a Simply Mango sooo badly, but she's sold-out on Junie Moon and the net is full of counterfeits. :'x

Not that what dolls other people buy are really any of my business, anyway. I feel like maybe we've been discussing it too much, and I'm worried that I may have accidentally made people feel bad... I don't think less of people for what dolls they buy- whether Blythes or Blithes. sad If it makes you happy, then that's enough! We all need a little bit of happiness on our desks. It makes the world more mellow and relaxing.

And Bee's customs are amazingly lovely. +___+
FSWTBLJ
Seeking Dal Ange (Christmas Dal) eyechips
Very pretty girl indeed!
The tiny details on the eyelids are great. I like the second photo best.
I don't have a strong opinion on the matter... I don't support counterfeits either, but am in no position to criticize anyone else for buying them because I've bought a knockoff or three in my life as well. Maybe many of us would feel the same? I agree that copies/smuggled doll parts etc. are essentially counterfeiting and supporting a less-ethical business. But, you make a good point about not ruining/changing genuine dolls, and you supported an artist's work perhaps more than the original counterfeiters. Why shouldn't the artists turn fakes into something original and pretty. So I think you shouldn't feel 'guilty' for buying her and should just enjoy your doll, and it's nice that she brightens up your work day. smile
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]