Nora Pays Her Respects
During my ramblings through the Cornish countryside, I recently came upon a beautiful cemetery only 20 mins from my house. It's surprisingly big and there are 2 parts to it - one is newer, and looks onto the highway. It's noisy, and the graves are all modern and shiny, there are sometimes people there. But there is an older quieter section, tucked away like a secret garden over a little hill and behind some trees. On pleasant days, dappled sunlight trickles through and hits the forgotten graves in the overgrown grass. This has quickly become my favourite hideaway to visit.

A lot of these graves are from the 1800s, so they are sadly dilapidated now and don't get visitors like the more recent side. Many have broken headstones and statues, and the names and dates are hidden by the overgrowth. So, when I visit, I like to clean up. Just small things like brushing away the moss, and pulling fallen tree branches off the graves (it's been breezy lately!). I'm not Christian and would feel strange saying a prayer, so this is my way of paying respects and saying 'thanks for having me here'. My personal favourite tradition has become to take a single flower with me every time I go, and lay it on a grave that doesn't look as if it's been visited in a while. That was the idea, anyway...I usually give the flower to Leonard and Mildred. (The only thing I know about Leonard and Mildred is their names, and when they died - and that even though Mildred passed away many decades after Leonard, she loved him enough to ask to be buried with him. That touched me, so I keep coming back to 'say hi' to them.)

In the autumn months this beautiful place was surprisingly filled with life; I often saw a happy cat sunning itself between the graves, the bushes were laden with sloes, and elderberries were bursting from the trees. I ended up harvesting a few so that my mum could make jams and pies. Even now in winter, the walkway out of the cemetery leading to the highway is abundant with red berries.

I got a little lonely going by myself, so this time I brought a visitor to help me lay the flower and keep the place neat....although Nora mostly hung around while I did the work.

[Image: njCWI4z.jpg?2]

[Image: dpXzK8W.jpg?1]

[Image: 6FPdspU.jpg?1]

[Image: 9ViN0p3.jpg?1]

[Image: hCPssPh.jpg?1]

[Image: Vd3lN8s.jpg?1]

[Image: YI64bBv.jpg?1]

[Image: QiEedBl.jpg?1]

[Image: ctE0uoO.jpg?1]

If there are any spirits watching over that graveyard, I imagine they think of me as 'the weird girl who comes and tidies'. From now on they'll probably think of me as 'the weird girl with the doll' blush
Pullips: Langley(Asuka), Maddie(Merl), Ophelia(Tiphona), Camille(Kiyomi), Ally(Classical Alice), Roz(Rosalind), Nate(Nosferatu), Eirwen(Snow White), Mariette(Milk Latte), Lily(Puki), Nataleigh(Nanette), Courtney(Reg Fan), Nami(Rei), Fleur(Luna), , Tiberius(Tantus), Petunia (Jouet 2.0),  Vanessa(BRH), Mary(Oui'Vera), Hugo(Gyro), Bella(Chibi Risa), Nicki(NekoMao), Sunny(Raphia), Dorian(Custom), Odette(Isolde), Aisha(Nahh), Lian(China), Maaya(Nina), Haruka(Purezza), Hero(Apollo), Cecily(Sfoglia), Carly(Podo), Suri(Blackberry), Dominique(Shinku), Temperance(Veritas), Clair(Violetta), Bonnie(Hello Kitty), Emily(Si'Anna), September(Fourrure), Natsume(Summer Purezza), Cherami(Akemi), Kate(Paja), Lizzy(Elisabeth), Crissy(Papin), Siegfried(Arion), Andromeda(Ra Muw), Wanda(Hermine), Odile(Adsiltia), Daisy(Leroy), Maggie(RQ), Cissa(Chibi Risa), Sam(Mao), Amelia(Sailor Saturn), Susan(Silane), Nora(Alura), Momo(Youtsuzu), Hanzo(Okita)
I think this is beautiful! Both the pics and the fact that you've become a caretaker of those graves! It's really generous of you and even though my family is very atheist and a lot of them don't believe in spirits I do believe that whatever essence of those people is there, they probably appreciate that you are taking the time to visit and care for their resting places.
It's sweet of you to help tidy up. Lots of people avoid cemeteries for various reasons, but I love the rich history that you find in older ones. I like your first photo best—she looks like she's come to pay respect to a friend. Heart
>>>I'm not gone, just really, REALLY busy.<<<
FT: Dolls (updated: 3/7) | FS: BJD Eyes | FS: Accessories | Feedback | Freebie Dress | Freebie Wig
Lovely photos! Old cemeteries often have a lot of nice sculpture and landscaping that newer ones don't and they've had many years to age and mature. Newer cemeteries are often set up to make them easy to maintain, as in stones flush to the ground that can be mowed over and no shrubbery or plantings to get in the way.
beautiful photos of the stunning Nora smile I love that you visit and 'tidy' smile I am atheist but I can imagine the spirits watching you - the weird girl with the doll Tongue - & feeling peace Heart 2
Arashi N&B - Rayne N&B - Alfred
I think you have a beautiful, kind soul, whom ever feels you presence is happy to have you there I am sure.
Nora also looks very happy there, I think she shares your thoughts and feelings. Her pictures reminded me "the graveyard book" from Neil Gaiman smile
@Offgenemi The graveyard book came to mind for me as well, it's a good read smile

@Missy_Crane, to echo what other's have said, I think it's lovely that you take the time to come and tidy up - I'm sure the cemetary's residents appreciate it. I especially love the first photo, it strikes an emotion I think smile
Looking for stands!
What a lovely story! I can picture it so well from your description. And it's so very nice that you do some tidying. I love that you take a flower. I am sure Leonard and Mildred would smile to know you were there. I like the first picture best too. There must be wonderful photo potential with the old statues, and I like to think that the people would be happy to know someone was visiting respectfully and that they wouldn't mind if you took doll pictures among the stones.
Hope you'll share some more smile
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
I can only echo post......what a lovely story. You have a very sweet heart.
And I love the photos too........you live in a very beautiful part of the country. Lucky you.
I've wanted to visit Highgate Cemetry - the old part - for years. I think older cemetry areas are very peaceful.
Just like everyone said, I think its beautiful what you are doing. When I was younger I used to live very close to a graveyard and there was a part of it that seemed like it was forgotten as well, me and my brother used to clean up the graves and light up candles.
The pictures turned out very beautiful as well. smile
{Home} Principessa - Noir - R.Noir - Neo Noir - Barasuishou x 2 - My Melody - Prunella - Milch - Fanatica - Seila - BRH - Nina - Pinocchio - Kanta - Tiger Lily - Mami Tomoe - Madoka Kaname - Alte - Hatsune Miku - Nahh-ato
Youtsuzu - Tina - ChinaChina - Carol - Pere Noel - Marie Antoinette - Bremen Cat - MIO
Volks: DD Miko & Yukino - MDD DWC01 - Sara - Saki - F-45 - F-48 // Fairyland: F60 Chloe - Rin - Scarlett ~ MNF Soo - Rheia - Celine - Elf Rin - Mio ~ PKF Rin  // Bambicrony:  Marion - Charity // Luts: Vampire Chiwoo // Doll Factory: Conie Unicorn // Latidoll: Lea // Alchemic Labo: Unoa Lusis // Doll In Mind: Larina - Bellosse // Peak's Woods: Sassy Rosy //  Crobidoll: Marisol //  Lillycat: Ninon //
Supiadoll: Ariel // Soom: Ior - Picro - Leepy // Atelier Momoni: Momonita // Shoushou: Nico // Petit Soiree: Madeleine // KanaDoll: Ribbon  // {Waiting} ~Volks Lieselotte ~
Thank you so much for the lovely kind comments, everyone Heart Nora and I are so glad you liked the photos and hearing about our new favourite spot. Nora was just the natural choice of companion for this place, with her slightly solemn, secretive smile!

Honestly, I feel it's the least I can do to make it a little nicer there. I feel sad that the council has let the older side fall into disrepair whilst maintaining the nicer newer side. The people buried in the older side still matter, and they deserve better than to be forgotten. @Marilyn you are so right, old cemeteries are just rich with history and I've never been able to think of such places as spooky - they offer such a feeling of peace and serenity.

Ooh - The Graveyard Book! I think that's on my shelf somewhere; never got around to reading it, but am inspired to start now smile
Pullips: Langley(Asuka), Maddie(Merl), Ophelia(Tiphona), Camille(Kiyomi), Ally(Classical Alice), Roz(Rosalind), Nate(Nosferatu), Eirwen(Snow White), Mariette(Milk Latte), Lily(Puki), Nataleigh(Nanette), Courtney(Reg Fan), Nami(Rei), Fleur(Luna), , Tiberius(Tantus), Petunia (Jouet 2.0),  Vanessa(BRH), Mary(Oui'Vera), Hugo(Gyro), Bella(Chibi Risa), Nicki(NekoMao), Sunny(Raphia), Dorian(Custom), Odette(Isolde), Aisha(Nahh), Lian(China), Maaya(Nina), Haruka(Purezza), Hero(Apollo), Cecily(Sfoglia), Carly(Podo), Suri(Blackberry), Dominique(Shinku), Temperance(Veritas), Clair(Violetta), Bonnie(Hello Kitty), Emily(Si'Anna), September(Fourrure), Natsume(Summer Purezza), Cherami(Akemi), Kate(Paja), Lizzy(Elisabeth), Crissy(Papin), Siegfried(Arion), Andromeda(Ra Muw), Wanda(Hermine), Odile(Adsiltia), Daisy(Leroy), Maggie(RQ), Cissa(Chibi Risa), Sam(Mao), Amelia(Sailor Saturn), Susan(Silane), Nora(Alura), Momo(Youtsuzu), Hanzo(Okita)
This is absolutely beautiful!