Neon's A Doll A Day Challenge 2018
Thanks everyone!!!

Lejays - Yes, she's Snow White. I thought OUAZ would be a perfect link between my monster and fairy tale dolls Happy

Day 177

[Image: 97f2df20382b41248ef27a01de57352b.jpg]

Once Upon A Zombie - Zombie Snow White. This is 2016 re-release. Her gummy legs are so soft, I had a hard time posing her.

The original setup didn't work for today's doll, so I took it down and reverted to original plan. I want a spooky swamp with foxfires mood for th 'mysterious' photos, but I can't figure it out.
This is an incredibly creep-tacular doll! Glass eyes like the Bratzillaz, too, yes?
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
davidd - technically, acrylic, but yes, OUAZ dolls have inset eyes. Their eyelashes are creepy - they're not glued to the upper lid, instead, they're rooted in the eyeball, just above iris.

Day 178

[Image: 0af75d97cbe3525b2087141d3a557997.jpg]

[Image: d83bbc62fdd7ef61f6439f812debd386.jpg]

Another attempt at spooky lighting. Still not satisfied. I'll have to try again around Halloween or something...
I've missed a bunch; I like your vintage-ified photos!
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
Another attempt at "swamp lighting"? I like it. The base looks appropriately marshy and squishy.
Alliecat - thank you!

davidd - thanks! I'm glad you like it. I'm curious what it will look like tomorrow...

Day 179

[Image: 8baf8fb334d9c4eb875d25c3ec046362.jpg]

Once Upon A Zombie - Zombie Sleeping Beauty. 2016 re-release. Her dress doesn't really fit (that goes for most of my OUAZ dolls). Sometimes I wonder what would these wonderful dolls be like if Mattel made them (same designs, just better materials, finer joints, etc.).
(06-29-2018, 06:11 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Sometimes I wonder what would these wonderful dolls be like if Mattel made them (same designs, just better materials, finer joints, etc.).

I have often wished that the Bratzillaz had nicely finished joints and detailed hands like Mattel's Monster High. Those fine finishing details that make a huge difference in the appeal of the dolls. Unfortunately, Mattel has given up on that level of quality with the Monster High line.
davidd - I've always had a problem with MGA, I loved their ideas, but hardly ever the quality. As for Monster High, it's a shame. First, the quality went down, and now the whole line is pretty much dead.

Day 180

[Image: be5b7a9a3dff1adf1682d19413d10311.jpg]

I'm also pretty much dead, and I still can't get that 'I spotted a zombie on my midnight walk through marsh!!!' look right. Sigh, I guess.
It was such an interesting idea for a doll line, it's s shame that they couldn't get everything right. Even just a basic thing like getting the clothes to fit right.

The spooky photos are looking great frm my perspective, but if you have a certain look you want, and can't get it to work, I understand the frustration. Iv had shoots like that - I know what I want it to look like perfectly, but I can't get the doll / background / props to work together to make the shot happen. It's very frustrating!
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
I do like this last one, even if it wasn't quite what you were trying to achieve.
The swampy backdrop is coming across as appropriately swampy.

To get a bit more light on the faces in similar lighting set-ups, I use a hand-held flashlight and diffuse the beam with tissue paper. (No, not wrapping paper grade tissue paper; more like, Kleenex facial tissue. yay But green colored wrapping tissue might work really well for this. )
Lejays - thank you!!!

Cornflower Blue - thanks!

davidd - thank you! I'm actually using small flashlight, too, wrapped the same cloth I'm using for the 'swamp', but I haven't been able to make my phone cooperate - either it's all too dark or the lights get awfully over-exposed while everything else stays black. The light in the tent is rather soft in reality, but for some reason, contrast gets really crazy on the photos. The thing is, I want the dolls to be only partially visible, and I have no idea how to achieve it - either they're completely invisible (like Snow White), or they're too visible, so they're cute instead of creepy.

Day 181

[Image: f0dc392e9dda9d4551deb56f48ebc25b.jpg]

2016 re-release (all my OUAZ are from 2016) of Zombie Cinderella.

My Once Upon A Zombie collection is a very special one. My then-boyfriend broke up with me shortly before OUAZ re-releases came out, and while it was the best thing that could possibly happen in that relationship, back then I was really heart-broken (he was my first love and we had been together for almost 12 years). I really liked the dolls and I mentioned it to my mom, and she got them for me, as a 'band-aid for broken heart'. And it worked, because I realized that having a life without a person who constantly disregards and belittles me and bonus space for dolls (vacated by that person) is much better than having it the other way around. Yay for zombie princess dolls!!!
Zombie Cinderella is a fun one! I'm liking these Once Upon a Zombie photos!

I couldn't help but laugh at "and bonus space for dolls (vacated by that person)." I hope future relationships offer more respect and appreciation... while still allowing space for dolls!

I don't use a phone camera, so I'm not sure what else to suggest. My understanding is that some phones have "advanced" photo features, allowing "spot metering" for exposure. Another option, of course, is to invest in an inexpensive point-n-shoot camera, which is what I'm using for most of my photos these days.
Dolls are great therapy for broken hearts in many cases, aren't they. I have never heard of this line of dolls. It was a nice gesture from your mom to cheer you up.

(07-01-2018, 06:25 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I'm actually using small flashlight, too, wrapped the same cloth I'm using for the 'swamp', but I haven't been able to make my phone cooperate - either it's all too dark or the lights get awfully over-exposed while everything else stays black....The thing is, I want the dolls to be only partially visible, and I have no idea how to achieve it

Try "light painting". This is lots of fun outdoors at night with long exposures; you use a flashlight to light only certain parts of the scene. It might work on a small scale... Make your set mostly dark, (can you do a long exposure?), and shine your flashlight briefly over the areas you want to be visible. If you have a small enough beam, and go fast enough, the unlit part of the doll might stay dark. You'll have to tinker with exposure times and the amount of light you use.
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
Dolly therapy for the win!