davidd's A Doll A Day 2019
Whoa. At f2 I'm not surprised it's not sharp. That aperture on my 50mm has next to no DOF. So you've probably solved one problem. Ditto the 1/30. Tripod and smaller aperture should solve a big part of the problem. Of course if the extension tube is costing you stops, you'll definitely have another reason to use the tripod.
I sometimes start a shoot & am just lazy about hauling out the tripod. I start, think I'm going to get away with it, then say, "OK, if you're gonna do it, do it right", & go get it. Always worth the effort.
I get frustrated when the K-x picks ISO's or other things on its own (I usually use aperture mode for dolls) & the "manual" option isn't really manual. When I do use it, I have to go into other modes to set an ISO or an aperture or a shutter speed, then back to manual & hope it "stuck" across modes. I didn't read all of my book either. blush I started, with good intentions, but then I just went & used it.
Oooh, I don't think the K-x will let you adjust the AF. I'm not actually sure. Sometimes people on that forum make suggestions that don't apply to your camera. If you do it, will be interesting to hear how.
Again with the focus, I get choosing single-point focus (not sure mine will do that either; it'll meter off a point (supposedly; never works well), but dunno about focus)... but, I wonder if tiny eyes on a small figure are still a bit too small for the camera to use. If eyesight is an issue for manual focus, I understand. It can be hard to tell if you've got your "point" in focus on a tiny screen. Some days I have better luck than others.
Will also be interesting to hear how the focus test goes if you do it. smile

Oh, and another option for shorter minimum focus distance without giving up f-stops is closeup lenses. You've maybe seen these? Just little screw-on things like a filter:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8aHtazeyJjz8rAZNX3nI...OWcR0_kg&s]
Looks like you can get much better ones than my $11 pawn-shop set! Which looks just like these. You'll give up DOF so you have to use a really small aperture, so definitely a tripod, but it won't cost you light. I absolutely loooooove them for abstract flower images, although I find the digital camera doesn't do as well with them -- it's harder to pick that focus point.

Geez I miss my K1000 Cry
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
No added knowledge to the camera discussion (I use an iPhone for my photos).

The one if cheerful Carly was great to see this morning, cheered my up immensely imagining her ex-ploring the catacombs
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
Carly's optimism should be an example to us all.
Awesome indyjonesy pic! I'm not surprised the iPad had troubles focusing deep in the labyrinthine catacombs beneath a long-forgotten Central American ruin.
(11-10-2019, 04:58 PM)Alliecat Wrote: I sometimes start a shoot & am just lazy about hauling out the tripod.  I start, think I'm going to get away with it, then say, "OK, if you're gonna do it, do it right", & go get it.  Always worth the effort.

Oh, and another option for shorter minimum focus distance without giving up f-stops is closeup lenses.  You've maybe seen these?  Just little screw-on things like a filter:  

Geez I miss my K1000  Cry

I'm totally lazy about hauling out the tripod. I also think, "this would be so much better with a tripod, and it will only take me a couple of minutes to go get it," but unlike you... I don't!
yay

I had some close-up lenses once, years ago, but I ended up never using them. Too fussy. Prone to dust and fingerprints. Mostly, though, that's the kind of little sleeve of attachments that I can never find when I need it. Lazy + disorganized = consistent failure.

I wish somebody made a digital equivalent of a K1000, with ONLY the features that were on the K1000, and nothing else. But the manufacturers seem determined to add every extra feature they can think of, and the camera snobs still complain that "it doesn't have XYZ feature."

(11-10-2019, 06:07 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: The one of cheerful Carly was great to see this morning, cheered me up immensely imagining her ex-ploring the catacombs

Carly is pleased that her perilous perambulations prompted pleasure.

(11-10-2019, 07:31 PM)werepuppy Wrote: Carly's optimism should be an example to us all.

Indeed, and in particular to me, seeing as how she lives here and all.

(11-10-2019, 08:56 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I'm not surprised the iPad had troubles focusing deep in the labyrinthine catacombs beneath a long-forgotten Central American ruin.

That possibly ex-plains most of my camera issues. Perhaps if I were not always trying to take pictures in the dark...?

[Image: november10.jpg]
10 November – Mattel Wild Hearts Crew Kenna Roswell

Would the line have been more popular had it been called the Wyld H34rt5 Crüe?

Probably not.  yay
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
That’s got a really cool retro vintage look to it.
She looks punk, but somehow, the photo is totally glam!

I'm afraid that right now, toys that aren't tied to popular media (DC, Marvel, Frozen...) don't really get much attention. But these things seem to come in waves, so I'm sure that after a few years, original toys will be 'in' again.
It seems like the Wild Hearts Crew may have been a rush release like Barbie and the Rockers was - this time to beat the next wave of Fresh Doll - so whether or not that has anything to do with their relative popularity.

I like the vintage punk feel you've given this picture. It seems to add to her level of I do what I want.
(11-11-2019, 12:12 PM)davidd Wrote: I wish somebody made a digital equivalent of a K1000, with ONLY the features that were on the K1000, and nothing else.
Aaaaaaahhh, SO MUCH THIS.
When I finally had to break down & get a digital SLR I actually went on the Pentax Forum and asked basically this. "I want a digital K1000, what should I get?" People suggested the K-x. So that was what I got. It's been OK, really, and has facilitated the doll hobby like film couldn't, but, I miss the organic process of photographing with that lovely camera.
My tripod lives on the couch in the corner of the kitchen and the closeup lenses live in the camera bag in the same place, so they're never far away.

Great photo of Carly; it looks like it could be a promo shot for a TV show or movie smile

(11-11-2019, 12:12 PM)davidd Wrote:
Would the line have been more popular had it been called the Wyld H34rt5 Crüe?
LOL Ya never know.... That and intensive facebook & TV marketing and you might have a Thing. LOL
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
[Image: november11.jpg]
11 November – A Parcel Arrives for the Ameliæ Escadrille
Hahaha -- oh my! LOL
Can you tell them apart, at this point...?
Seventh one is also on her way, right?
The adorifying Ameliæ Escadrille!
(11-12-2019, 03:42 PM)Alliecat Wrote: Hahaha -- oh my!  LOL
Can you tell them apart, at this point...?

Two of them are easily identifiable. The other three are more or less identical.

[Image: november12.jpg]
12 November – "What is it?"
"Not what is it; who is it?"
I dunno... a couple of them look a little bit dubious.... LOL