davidd's A Doll A Day 2019
"Okay, what idiot upset Lord Apollo's attempts at piano this time?"

Gilda really is one of the more unique designs from MH, it's hard not to like her.
Haha... there is/was actually a piano near the beach here... tourists were playing it in the summer. It's probably disintegrated by the weather, now. Maybe Gilda is on the track of the Piano Guys?? They put pianos in weird places.
Cool shot with great dramatic lighting!
And I thought maybe Yasmin was changing into her superhero duds in a phone booth LOL
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
The piano fell there from the sky, landing on someone's head only for them to emerge from under it completely unscathed a few seconds later, y'know, normal piano stuff. They do it all the time.

Gilda is such an awesome concept, although not exactly a monster. I wish they put a little more effort in creating her character and signature look, the sculpt is wonderful but the rest is a bit bland... I know that she's a backgrounder and all, but I think she deserved more.
(04-20-2019, 09:49 AM)werepuppy Wrote: "Okay, what idiot upset Lord Apollo's attempts at piano this time?"

Gilda really is one of the more unique designs from MH, it's hard not to like her.

My guess would be Loki.   Tongue

Yes, Gilda was one of those influenced-by-the-internet purchases, and is one of my more recent Monster High acquisitions.

(04-20-2019, 10:47 AM)Alliecat Wrote: Haha... there is/was actually a piano near the beach here... tourists were playing it in the summer.  It's probably disintegrated by the weather, now. 

When I lived in Hawaii, somebody placed a bright red grand piano in an abandoned building on the North Shore of Oahu. I assume it was for some kind of fashion photo shoot or something. For a while the piano was in playable... sort of... condition, but it didn't take long for vandals to totally destroy it.

(04-20-2019, 08:23 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: The piano fell there from the sky, landing on someone's head only for them to emerge from under it completely unscathed a few seconds later, y'know, normal piano stuff. They do it all the time.

Gilda is such an awesome concept, although not exactly a monster. I wish they put a little more effort in creating her character and signature look, the sculpt is wonderful but the rest is a bit bland... I know that she's a backgrounder and all, but I think she deserved more.

Ah! Laurel & Hardy must have passed this way!  LOL

Unfortunately, Gilda was released at a time when the  general production quality of the Monster High figures was in decline. I believe she was only available as part of the Student Disembodied Council set... which I had to purchase in order to get her. The other figures in the set were of very poor quality, with badly finished mold lines and barely passable clothing. It's like what little effort that went in to the set was spent on Gilda.

[Image: april20.jpg]
20 April – Frank Sinatra from the "Barbie Loves Frank Sinatra" Collector Set
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
Wow, I love this shot!!! At first glance on a tiny phone screen, I thought you had posted an old vintage photo of the real Frank. Very cool.
That's sad about the piano. Some people will destroy anything. You wonder what sort of state their minds are in.
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
THIS PHOTO IS 100% PURE AWESOMENESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The light! The smoke! The color palette!

And welcome back, Frank, good to see you again!

(04-21-2019, 02:33 AM)davidd Wrote: Unfortunately, Gilda was released at a time when the  general production quality of the Monster High figures was in decline. I believe she was only available as part of the Student Disembodied Council set... which I had to purchase in order to get her. The other figures in the set were of very poor quality, with badly finished mold lines and barely passable clothing. It's like what little effort that went in to the set was spent on Gilda.

Yes, she was only ever released in that 5pack. Like, really Mattel? The first and only release of a new character in a flippin' 5PACK?!?!?! I gave up on her because of that... I think they could save whatever money they spent on the other four dolls, release her separately and they would make more money, because more people would get her as a solo-release. Oh well. Not like I can change it by complaining... Just for a little bit of amusement - there's a saying in Czech ex.pressing this sentiment, it goes 'too late to chase (the) Would' - there's a wordplay making it sound like the 'would' is a person that I don't know how to translate... Not a specific person, the word doesn't have capital letter, it's ex.pressed through inflection.
This picture is just so ... perfectly awesome. Like neon and Alliecat point out, all the elements come together to create this perfectly vintage image that makes it feel like you were there, hearing that performance

/applauds.
I liked Gilda as a character, she was more interesting visually than some of the others, and it sucks she was only available in the 5-pack.

Franks looks like he's stepped straight out of a vintage poster. Very atmospheric with the smokey-look
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
Love the vintage effect on the Frank picture, it really works.
(04-21-2019, 06:53 AM)werepuppy Wrote: ... all the elements come together to create this perfectly vintage image that makes it feel like you were there, hearing that performance

/applauds.

Frank appreciates the applause.

(04-21-2019, 04:15 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: I liked Gilda as a character, she was more interesting visually than some of the others, and it sucks she was only available in the 5-pack.

Franks looks like he's stepped straight out of a vintage poster.  Very atmospheric with the smokey-look

Yes, Gilda is a spooky, odd, interesting character who deserved an independent release.

The "smoke" effect was a result of lens flare, enhanced with a contrast-boosting Instagram app filter.

(04-21-2019, 04:50 PM)Elfy Wrote: Love the vintage effect on the Frank picture, it really works.

Thanks. When a photo doesn't turn out quite right, mess with the settings until it comes out "vintage."   LOL

[Image: april21.jpg]
21 April – Slightly Surreal Scale Situation
The girls look like they're about to have a big night at a rave party held in a giant's house.
The girls do look like they're going to have a big night

They also look a bit put out - "Look how nicely this is decorated. Those big ones are spoiled!"

Tongue

I do like that the setting has this very comfortable vibe to it. It very much feels like the place you can go to just chill out and relax.
What a spectacular room!
(04-22-2019, 03:25 PM)Elfy Wrote: The girls look like they're about to have a big night at a rave party held in a giant's house.

The girls do look like they're dressed for a rave, don't they? I'm sure Sasha, at least, would consider that to be high praise.

(04-23-2019, 12:29 AM)werepuppy Wrote: I do like that the setting has this very comfortable vibe to it. It very much feels like the place you can go to just chill out and relax.

I thought the carpet was somewhat reminiscent of that in a castle (with a secret stairway) of which I've seen photos. Not identical, but similar.

(04-23-2019, 04:29 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: What a spectacular room!

It is a work in progress. I am open to suggestions on how to add realistic details.

[Image: april22.jpg]
22 April – Jakks Pacific Winx Club Aisha

I was tired and unmotivated today, so it was either an "archive shot" or a "quick but uncreative snapshot." I went with "quick but uncreative." Aisha deserves better.
But, you have great surroundings that make it look like you hiked miles from everywhere to get the shot! Aisha looks ready for a hike.
Love the room setting -- everything looks great! "Where's the party?" LOL