Elfy's Doll a Week 2019
(08-18-2019, 05:16 PM)Alliecat Wrote: Felicity is cute and she looks ready for a good story.  I looked it up.  Goodness, did you think it worthy of the Hitchhikers comparison?  The negative reviews are pretty well unanimous on the writing style.
I love her little chair smile

Oh yeah, it deserves the Hitchhiker’s comparison. It’s like Eurovision meets Hitchhikers with some added Bowie. Valente’s wizardry with words just has to be experienced.
Lejays picked the little rocking chair up at a craft market, it was a good buy.
Those are some big words, literally. At least from Felicity's point of view...
Oh, wow, I loved that story! Felicity has good taste.

(I need to re-read it now...)
It is interesting to learn that Felicity, who, based on her attire, I would have ekspected to be more of a Jane Austen or Brönte sisters fan, is in to contemporary science fiction.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
Like most of our girls, and boys, Felicity likes to subvert expectations. Space Opera did not, alas, win the rocket ship (the Hugo award is always shaped like a rocket), but the winner; Mary Robinette Kowal’s The Calculating Stars is a very worthy success and Felicity has read that one, too.
I was rather uninspired this week, but this is what I came up with.

[Image: 7c4612ca2ca69f600215fa3209dd10ed.jpg]

Seeing as how Felicity showed off some of her favourite reads, Finn couldn't be left out and here he is with one of his favourites.
Interesting choice of reading material for someone who seems as kind and gentle as Finn.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
I bet he's all like 'when I grow up, I'm gonna be just like...' (insert the name of his favorite character)
he has aspirations to be in a band of rebels, doesnt he??
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
That’d be more Grey Bastards. Saga are a rock band who use weapons instead of instruments. I think Finn rather likes the idea of being a rock star.
Well, that book looks interesting. Thanks for the introduction to it, what's it about?
(08-25-2019, 09:24 PM)werepuppy Wrote: Well, that book looks interesting. Thanks for the introduction to it, what's it about?

Saga were a big band of mercenaries back in the day, but they split up, retired and got old. About 15 years later their frontman wants to put the band back together to rescue his daughter who is trapped in a city being besieged by a 100,000 strong army of monsters. There’s a lot of humour and action, and Eames puts a new spin on plenty of tropes. I quite liked the conceit between rock bands and mercenary  bands. I’ve read it 4 times and thoroughly enjoyed it each time. The sequel Bloody Rose is also out.
He looks a little wistful, like he's waiting for you to come and read to him. It's nice to find books you like so much that you want to re-read them many times.
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
(08-26-2019, 12:01 PM)Alliecat Wrote: He looks a little wistful, like he's waiting for you to come and read to him.  It's nice to find books you like so much that you want to re-read them many times.

Thanks Allie. My 4 reads of Kings of the Wyld pales into insignificance when stacked up against The Lies of Locke Lamora, which I’ve read 19 times. I actually had to retire my original copy after I got it signed by the author, it was very battered, I didn’t want it to fall apart.
As it's Father's Day down here today, some of our crew (mostly the steampunks) got together to commemorate the day with flowers.

[Image: ed36e7038e41ca83aeb6737877fe2bde.jpg]

To all the Dads out there: Happy Fathers Day!