Werepuppy's (Attempt At) Doll-A-Day 2019!
Fun variety on that shelf!

(05-20-2019, 08:46 PM)werepuppy Wrote: I recently got a new (to me, at least) camera - a Nikon CoolPix - and I'm still learning on how best to use it. It's trial and error, really. So I'm not really sure about the white balance bit, atm.
Ah, I see. Well, if it didn't come with a manual you can probably find one online. If you find where to adjust the white balance, just pick "auto".
It's a very good idea to find and read the manual. I bought a manual separately cos my secondhand Pentax didn't come with one... I read some and then just started playing with it... I never got round to reading the whole thing and just tonight I discovered it has a function I wanted but didn't think it had -- just have to find an accessory. LOL
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
(05-21-2019, 12:47 AM)davidd Wrote: Oooh! Frightfully Tall Ghouls!

That 'Alice' Pullip is a cutie.

As for lighting for photos, I picked up a couple of inexƒensive (six dollars USD) desk lamps at Walmart – these ones. I plug them in to an extension cord and move them around as I need them, or hold them up in one hand while holding the camera in the other.

I suspect you do not have Walmart in Scotland, but there must be a cost-conscious equivalent. While you're out shopping for recliner chairs (good-bye, wing chairs  Cry), you might look for el-cheapo desk lamps to supplement your photo lighting.

(While trying to look up "big box stores in Scotland," I instead discovered the "munchy box," which is apparently a thing where you live! Now I want you to snap pix of a munchy box the next time you are out and about!  yay)

( Oh My The exact same desk lamp costs $15 USD on Amazon. An approximately equivalent desk lamp costs £26.99 on Amazon.co.uk, which is, like, $35 USD! Wow! Life is ex-freakin-spensive in Europe!)

((Apparently the UK equivalent of Walmart is ASDA, which is actually owned by Walmart. The ASDA equivalent of the Walmart Mainstays desk lamp is this one, for £7, which is about $9 USD. But... it does not include a bulb! Man, shopping in the UK is not only exßensive, but it is complicated!))

Yup, I only have Frankie and Clawdeen because I couldn't find Draculaura and Elissabat wasn't available in the UK sadly. Or at least she wasn't in any of the places I looked. The Alice Pullip is the Regeneration Series Fantastic Alice and is my first - and thus far only - Pullip. I got her second hand, and she's utterly adorable. Kind of the perfect Alice in my head. 

I do actually have a small LED lamp that works via batteries but that can sometimes cause my pictures to be completely washed out. I will work out something properly soon enough.

(Okay, so I don't actually go near the places that do munchy boxes around but there's variations so I'll see what ones are local to me, lol. Mind you I will say they're really greasy and your stomach needs to be strong for them.)

((Yeaaaaah. Add to that that a lot of stores don't have the stuff in at times, and thanks to Brexit - UGH - prices are going all over the place. It's a confusing little island, this one.))

(05-21-2019, 02:41 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: This makes me crave Classical Mad Hatter. Maybe I'll snatch him if I see him for a good price.

He is one of the most wow Isul releases, IMHO. His eye-chips are just so beautiful. Well worth snatching up. If I was going for any other Wonderland ones it would need to be Steampunk Cheshire and Insane Red Queen. Because they're stunning and your photos make me crave them so much. I just can't find them at good prices ><

(05-21-2019, 12:05 PM)Alliecat Wrote: Fun variety on that shelf!

Ah, I see.  Well, if it didn't come with a manual you can probably find one online.  If you find where to  adjust the white balance, just pick "auto".  
It's a very good idea to find and read the manual.  I bought a manual separately cos my secondhand Pentax didn't come with one... I read some and then just started playing with it... I never got round to reading the whole thing and just tonight I discovered it has a function I wanted but didn't think it had -- just have to find an accessory.  LOL

Yup! I wanted it to have a mixture of sizes and tried to use the space available in a sensible but nice looking way. I will be looking for a manual online, but I'm also just... playing around with it to learn as I go. 

- - -

141. Sewing: Dungarees for Rabbie
[Image: 55061913_20da59a2ecfcc3f1d6790d0ea3b4143f_standard.jpg]
Told you they'd be coming! I did change these ones up a little. The bib is just a single hemmed piece of fabric and the straps are fabric instead of ribbons. I used contrasting thread to top-stitch for some design work.
Nice work! He looks really cute and comfortable in them!
Oh good, they were Frightfully Tall Ghouls - for a moment I thought that you had a couple of minis and wanted to know where the Isul was from as I hadn’t seen one before.

The dungarees look very cute on him, nice work
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
Thank you, all! I'm hoping to make a bigger pair of dungarees for Olivia - it'd ft with her grunge look.

- - -

142. A Girl's Best Friend
[Image: 55023028_2126550cf7b9b2acc187a5f5b59c570e_standard.jpg]
On this World Goth Day, Wednesday would like to remind you all that a girl's best friend is her crossbox
The ultimate goth!
Nothing screams 'style' more than a lethal weapon aimed with ice-calm face... It really suits her!
Why she's practically a goth cupid! And I have no doubt that she never misses with those arrows when a heart is her target.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
(05-23-2019, 03:29 AM)Goblin Wrote: The ultimate goth!

I would have pinged Morticia for that role, actually, LOL. But Wednesday does fit it very well. 

(05-23-2019, 04:50 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Nothing screams 'style' more than a lethal weapon aimed with ice-calm face... It really suits her!

You can never shown your emotions, Wednesday claims. Then they'll be used against you. 

(05-23-2019, 05:04 AM)davidd Wrote: Why she's practically a goth cupid! And I have no doubt that she never misses with those arrows when a heart is her target.

To miss would be ... desperately disappointing. 

- - - 

143. Best Girls
[Image: 55023173_2e1808837ce4225b16632f50fd54fda8_standard.jpg]
One of my constant displays is the 'best girls' corner which is made up of some of the faves. 

(For those wondering why Wonder Woman is not here, it's because she's a bit too tall for that shelf. Same with Wednesday, though she has her own display area...)
I remember Kamala, Shuri and Dr. Who no.13! Three out of four, people! I should slow down...
(05-24-2019, 03:56 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I remember Kamala, Shuri and Dr. Who no.13! Three out of four, people! I should slow down...

Woo, you're doing well! (The last one is Carol Danvers, also known as Captain Marvel.)

- - - 

144. The Thirteenth Doctor
[Image: 55023136_3e4518eb5f459d9b50b99b49d96ee399_standard.jpg]
Thirteen has very quickly become one of my all time favourite versions of the Doctor. She's brilliant, really.
I also got 3 of the 4, I didn’t know the one on the far left - Kamala. Where is she from (I feel that I’ve failed some type of Geek Recognition Test smile LOL )

Thirteenth Doctor is great, really enjoyed her season. My favourite is Eight - only 1 (okay 2 if you count the mini-sode where he regenerated) tv episode, but so many audio and book adventures!
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
I'm pretty sure I've already said that, but I'm digging that coat!
(05-25-2019, 12:17 AM)Lejays17 Wrote:  My favourite is Eight - only 1 (okay 2 if you count the mini-sode where he regenerated) tv episode, but so many audio and book adventures!

LOL  You are quite the contrarian, aren't you? That's very interesting.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
(05-25-2019, 01:32 AM)davidd Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 12:17 AM)Lejays17 Wrote:  My favourite is Eight - only 1 (okay 2 if you count the mini-sode where he regenerated) tv episode, but so many audio and book adventures!

LOL  You are quite the contrarian, aren't you? That's very interesting.

Dunno about contrarian in my general life, but absolutely when it comes to Dr Who - that is my first & best-loved fandom and Elfy can confirm that I have opinions on many aspects of it.

Even though Eight is my favourite as an adult, Four is my Doctor (the one I grew up watching at an impressionable age LOL ), so he’s a second-favourite.

(Further “contrarian” views - mostly stuff from the New Series - Rose is an awful person, Donna is a great companion, the Doctor/Companion romance/s are tedious beyond belief (except River/Twelvth, which dos work for me), the season-long arcs are dull, especially Clara, but that is mostly because it retconned 50 years of history, which pissed me off sad . Cyber men are scarier than Daleks as they are more likely to happen to us. I think they’re the main ones, but if I think for a few more minutes I can probably think of more LOL )