Werepuppy's (Attempt At) Doll-A-Day 2019!
Has Olivia o'Lantern received a feature photo of her own yet? She needs one! Or another one!

I understand about things being hectic and exhausting. I hope your world returns to normal... or your version of normal... soon.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
(05-18-2019, 02:51 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Welcome back! Good to see you alive! I absolutely adore the Begoths photo, that angle makes it look rather action-y! Oh, and Casta in all her glory - dangerously chic!

Thanks, dear! I didn't mean to go completely silent the way I did, but I was just that exhausted that even trying to think up comments was beyond me. I am proud of how that BeGoths photo turned out, I need to do more of that kind for those dolls - they work so well if you can make the splashes of colour bold in them. Casta had an amazing stock look... but my want of an Elphaba was higher, lol.

(05-18-2019, 10:49 AM)Alliecat Wrote: Such a variety in your collection!  And how fun to be able to take Pikaplushie to the movie.  I might watch it when it comes out on DVD... no theatre here...
Glad you still had some dolly time in all the busy-ness.

My collection has one common thread: I liked the item, LOL. It was fun being able to sit with my Pikachu while watching the movie, and I would say having it on home release would be better. There's a ton of little details that you would be able to pick up better at home than in the cinema, really. One of the days was at least a good kind of busy - I was meeting up with a friend who, due to distance, I don't get to see a lot, and we had some fun doll chat. 

(05-18-2019, 01:35 PM)davidd Wrote: Has Olivia o'Lantern received a feature photo of her own yet? She needs one! Or another one!

I understand about things being hectic and exhausting. I hope your world returns to normal... or your version of normal... soon.

She did have a solo photo in my catalogue of BeGoths a week or two ago, but I do fully agree, I need to take more photos of this stunning girl. If the good weather holds, I might try for an outside picture... My world is still a bit on the hectic side at the moment but at least for today, I do not need to go to many different places. (Being outside is very exhausting when your main sensory issue is noise >.<)

- - - 

138. Paranormal Detective
[Image: 54962315_ab1134559dc51bf598614a3976b1d20f_standard.jpg]
Arrival date: 17th May 2019
I have been saving up for this guy since I first heard about him, and that was... some time last year I think. Various reasons meant the money kept getting used but finally I was able to order and he's here! Really have to give props to the stockist I ordered him from. As well as having the best price out of all the ones I looked at, the delivery was really fast, and he came super well packaged.
Ah, he's amazing. The sculpt is perfect and the clothing is wondering and even the box looks fantastic. So happy to have him as part of my collection. (And yes, I have plans...)
Marvelously detailed outfit! The jacket is nice. The fit and drape of the trousers is quite realistic. Congratulations on acquiring a figure for which you've been saving.

Oh, and in checking back, I see the earlier photo of Olivia. She looks more interesting in the recent photo. Yes, she needs to be featured again. Perhaps in an outdoor fairy garden setting.
Yay, another inmate ehm, inhabitant with the ability to set the whole place on fire! Who is he?
Oh he looks nice! Is he from something? For paranormal investigators I can only think of X-files and Twin Peaks
That’s John Constantine. He had his own comic and TV series and he’s currently one of the legends in DC’s Legends of Tomorrow series. Yes, I am a nerd.
I picked him from just the top part of the photo - before I even got down to the fireball in the hand.

He looks very world-weary and worn out - just like he looks on the live version TV.

Olivia O'lantern definitey needs another solo-shoot - she's my favourite of your BeGoths I think.
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
(05-19-2019, 01:22 AM)davidd Wrote: Marvelously detailed outfit! The jacket is nice. The fit and drape of the trousers is quite realistic. Congratulations on acquiring a figure for which you've been saving.

Oh, and in checking back, I see the earlier photo of Olivia. She looks more interesting in the recent photo. Yes, she needs to be featured again. Perhaps in an outdoor fairy garden setting.

He was a bit pricer than my usual grabs - though less ex.pensive than a new Pullip - but the look of him just makes it all incredibly worth it. That he's a representation of one of my long time favourite comic book characters is just an extra bonus. I will see what I can do about another photo (or two) of Olivia. I have ideas, it's just... really getting them done. 

(05-19-2019, 02:34 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Yay, another inmate ehm, inhabitant with the ability to set the whole place on fire! Who is he?

Yes, inhabitant, lol. He's John Constantine, as Elfy answered. He's one of my favourite comic characters, and this is a fantastic representation of the best live action version of him. 

(05-19-2019, 03:12 AM)Goblin Wrote: Oh he looks nice! Is he from something? For paranormal investigators I can only think of X-files and Twin Peaks

Honestly, he's more of a magic user for hire than a paranormal detective, but that was the title SooSoo Toys gave the figure. (Yeah, he's a a third party figure. Like Transformers but for 1:6 scale.)

(05-19-2019, 03:20 PM)Elfy Wrote: That’s John Constantine. He had his own comic and TV series and he’s currently one of the legends in DC’s Legends of Tomorrow series. Yes, I am a nerd.

As am I! Matt Ryan gives a really perfect performance as Constantine, and I really wish that his solo series had not been cancelled. Though, happily, the blu-ray release of the series is region free! I hope he gets to hang around in Legends another series, he's a good fit for there. (Also if they were think to bring Zatanna around, that would be cool. Or, y'know, tie up plot threads from his series...)

(05-19-2019, 10:43 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: I picked him from just the top part of the photo - before I even got down to the fireball in the hand.

He looks very world-weary and worn out - just like he looks on the live version TV.

Olivia O'lantern definitey needs another solo-shoot - she's my favourite of your BeGoths I think.

The detailing on him is fantastic, he is a perfect representation of the character. And I think Olivia is definitely going to have some more photos taken, it's just getting around to the doing it. 

- - - 

139. Sewing: Dungarees for Freya
[Image: 55021325_346830f8b0dd8b2f6a933a4842d8f90a_standard.jpg]
Because I really thought the little ones would look cute in them. Rabbie will get a pair soon! Once again, I fudged the pattern together myself from measurements and scrap bits of fabric. Sorry there's a bit of a yellow-ish tint to the pictures - I really need to change my lightbulb to a white one, but they're a bit more costly. I didn't have much luck with natural lighting when I was taking this either.
(05-19-2019, 11:45 PM)werepuppy Wrote: I really need to change my lightbulb to a white one, but they're a bit more costly. 

When you say things like this, I picture you living in a tiny attic or basement room with a single bare, flickering light bulb dangling from a frayed electrical cord, rather than in a palatial manor house with lush carpeting, wing-back chairs set before a roaring fire, and, of course, secret stairways.

Yellowish light is better than the hideous green pallor cast by those ridiculous "twisty" CFL bulbs that were supposed to revolutionize home energy consumption. Fortunately, those things seem to be largely extinct here in the States. Do you still have them in the UK, or are most light bulbs the LED type?
Nyaaaa! So adorable! Can't wait to see Rabbie's.
Great job on the outfit, especially making up the pattern yourself. And congrats on getting a long-awaited favourite character!
Can you adjust the white balance on your camera?
I think there are still some CFL bulbs around here (?), but I quit buying them & swapped mine back to the old "inefficient" ones after one made the house smell like something was burning, and a friend had one start smoking Oh My
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
(05-20-2019, 10:03 AM)Alliecat Wrote: I think there are still some CFL bulbs around here (?), but I quit buying them & swapped mine back to the old "inefficient" ones after one made the house smell like something was burning, and a friend had one start smoking Oh My

The CFL bulbs have small amounts of mercury in them, too. And in my eggsperience, they never lasted anywhere close to as long as they were supposed to. In fact, most of them did not last as long as regular incandescent bulbs.
(05-20-2019, 02:13 AM)davidd Wrote: When you say things like this, I picture you living in a tiny attic or basement room with a single bare, flickering light bulb dangling from a frayed electrical cord, rather than in a palatial manor house with lush carpeting, wing-back chairs set before a roaring fire, and, of course, secret stairways.

Yellowish light is better than the hideous green pallor cast by those ridiculous "twisty" CFL bulbs that were supposed to revolutionize home energy consumption. Fortunately, those things seem to be largely extinct here in the States. Do you still have them in the UK, or are most light bulbs the LED type?

I mean, we do have an attic but we just store stuff there. Not a manor house, again, lol. Actually, we're getting rid of the wing-back chairs. We've had them 20 years and various health issues within the household have made it time ti follow advice and get recliners instead. We'll miss our current suite - we've had it so long - but... yeah, it's time really. 

Most light-bulbs now are LED ones or the type that are better for energy consumption. I just need to get a new one because ... yeah.

(05-20-2019, 02:34 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Nyaaaa! So adorable! Can't wait to see Rabbie's.

Lol, I will do my best to get them sewn up soon. They just tend to take a bit of time because I need to hand-sew - they're too small for the machine, y'see.

(05-20-2019, 10:03 AM)Alliecat Wrote: Great job on the outfit, especially making up the pattern yourself.  And congrats on getting a long-awaited favourite character!
Can you adjust the white balance on your camera?

Thank you, on both! 

I recently got a new (to me, at least) camera - a Nikon CoolPix - and I'm still learning on how best to use it. It's trial and error, really. So I'm not really sure about the white balance bit, atm. Still learning. I'll get there! 

- - - 

140. Manga Shelf Display
[Image: 55023223_f52edad604546d22f721959977ed935b_standard.jpg]
On top of my manga shelves I have this little display. It looks pretty nice so I decided to snap a picture.
Oooh! Frightfully Tall Ghouls!

That 'Alice' Pullip is a cutie.

As for lighting for photos, I picked up a couple of inexƒensive (six dollars USD) desk lamps at Walmart – these ones. I plug them in to an extension cord and move them around as I need them, or hold them up in one hand while holding the camera in the other.

I suspect you do not have Walmart in Scotland, but there must be a cost-conscious equivalent. While you're out shopping for recliner chairs (good-bye, wing chairs  Cry), you might look for el-cheapo desk lamps to supplement your photo lighting.

(While trying to look up "big box stores in Scotland," I instead discovered the "munchy box," which is apparently a thing where you live! Now I want you to snap pix of a munchy box the next time you are out and about!  yay)

( Oh My The exact same desk lamp costs $15 USD on Amazon. An approximately equivalent desk lamp costs £26.99 on Amazon.co.uk, which is, like, $35 USD! Wow! Life is ex-freakin-spensive in Europe!)

((Apparently the UK equivalent of Walmart is ASDA, which is actually owned by Walmart. The ASDA equivalent of the Walmart Mainstays desk lamp is this one, for £7, which is about $9 USD. But... it does not include a bulb! Man, shopping in the UK is not only exßensive, but it is complicated!))
This makes me crave Classical Mad Hatter. Maybe I'll snatch him if I see him for a good price.