Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020)
We had vocational schools here, there were two versions. One was the high school version, so from 12-ish until you left to start work (anywhere between 15 & 18), these were called Technical Schools, generally shortened to Tech.
These would have a general all around eduction, but focussed on practical things, eg woodwork or metalwork.

The others were called TAFEs (Technical & Further Eduction), these still exist, and are for the book learning side of a practical apprenticeship. So if you get an apprenticeship to become an electrician for example, you do the practical learning on the job, but 1 day a week / 1 week a month / some other schedule you go to school for the book learning side of things.

There was a change to everything about 30 or so years ago (techs were still there when I finished high school, but not when my youngest sister did 6 years later), where they decided that book learning was more important than practical learning, and closed/ absorbed most of them.
So there’s a couple of generations of young adults who quit school early because they weren’t “smart” enough for the book learning it focussed on, but would have thrived in the tech school model. My nephew being one. He is fortunate though, his dad is a shop fitter / cabinet maker, so he apprenticed to do that.
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - by Lejays17 - 09-18-2020, 08:36 AM