Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020)
She’s beautiful in any shot, and the B&W is especially effective.
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
(10-18-2020, 10:41 PM)werepuppy Wrote: Oh. I know that feeling when a character picks a specific shell and you spend far too long trying to find it. (See me and Alvastaria Milo who is my perfect Artful Dodger.) The same scale rule was something I came up with when I realised that if I was shelling characters, I may not always have the character shell in dolls from the same line, and if they were at least the same scale, it did make things a little easier for posing and sharing spaces, and so forth.

(Actually I'm also having that 'character picked their shell' for another character who was just a vague idea in my head...)

I hope whatever plan you come up with, it suits your purposes well. I think the fact you yourself are saying you think the third option would be the most fun does suggest that it's the one you would prefer to go with. I wish you luck on getting this done well! (Also I'd love to see what doll the character has picked out!)

Also also? Rochelle looks so stunning in the black and white. It looks like it's some advertising campaign that's had so much money spent on it.

Thank you and thank you!

Most often, I pick the dolls I like and put them on my wishlist, and then I think of their character, but Oddwickshire does tend to sprout new characters on its own, and then I have to find shells for them. This is the first time a character picked a specific doll, and one that doesn't fit in the world at that. I don't want to say which one, because I tend to jinx myself when I share my dolly plans, and it's a more ex!pensive one, so I'm afraid it'll take some time before I can share the doll.

(10-19-2020, 08:47 AM)davidd Wrote: Well... how "drop-dead gore-geous" is Freak du Chic Rochelle in monochrome? Sufficiently and irresistibly gore-geous that I felt compelled to navigate myself to eBay and impulsively click a Buy-It-Now button, that's how gore-gous!

I would not have ex-pected the pink hair to render so nicely in black & white.

Aww, thank you!

As for how colors translate into B&W, did you know that the set for the 60s Addams Family series was bright pink and yellow IRL? They were ex³perimenting with various colors and found that pinks and yellows make the best gloomy gothic mansion in B&W. Here's a pic:

[Image: 34baae490436493fc4ea7cdaf6d44953.jpg]

(10-19-2020, 11:55 AM)Alliecat Wrote: A nice B&W portrait.  Her striped dress is well suited for B&W too.

Thank you! Stripes just work great under any circumstances... smile

(10-19-2020, 02:55 PM)Elfy Wrote: So dramatic, it’s like a still image from an old film. I keep thinking Phantom of the Opera with Claude Rains.

Ooh, that's an interesting idea. I'm not familiar with any of the movies. Actually, I think I'm no longer familiar with the book, I've read it when I was a teen, and only in Czech, and I don't remember it very clearly. Oh well, it's a good reading choice for October, so I'll be off to Project Gutenberg. I think it could be fun to do a MH Phantom crossover...

(10-19-2020, 05:30 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: She’s beautiful in any shot, and the B&W is especially effective.

Thank you very much!!!

Day 293

I'm feeling very artsy fartsy, and also very migey-rainey today, and poor Mr. Morgenstern had to sacrifice himself to buy time for others to run away from me. But I'm sure he'll escape.

[Image: 0f36a3e4529a7321998b9d61b755af0e.jpg]
He looks a dashing rouge here
Very stylish, indeed!

Sorry to hear about the migey-rainey, but I'm sure with Mr. Morgenstern to keep you company, you'll feel better in no time.

That is incredibly fascinating about the colorful Addams Family set. I recall reading that in the early days of film, make-up often had a greenish cast in order to look natural with the black & white film stock of the era. Now I really want to construct a pink, yellow, and green diorama to see how it looks in monochrome.

There is, of course, a difference in how various film stocks responded to and recorded color, which differs from how digital sensors respond to color, so I don't know if the same methods apply. As you note, ex³perimentation! Rochelle's hair in the photo from yesterday, however, suggests that pink still records well in digital monochrome.

Do you snap your photos in monochrome mode, or convert in post-production?
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
What a fascinating tid-bit about the Addams Family set. I thought it was an elaborate dolls-house room at first glance.

Mr Morgenstern is very noble sacrificing himself so the others could run away.
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
The spikes on his armour look like a good defensive weapon.
(10-20-2020, 02:21 AM)werepuppy Wrote: He looks a dashing rouge here

I suspect him of secretly enjoying being dashing and roguish now and then, since he spends most of his time being invisible.

(10-20-2020, 07:40 AM)davidd Wrote: Very stylish, indeed!

Sorry to hear about the migey-rainey, but I'm sure with Mr. Morgenstern to keep you company, you'll feel better in no time.

That is incredibly fascinating about the colorful Addams Family set. I recall reading that in the early days of film, make-up often had a greenish cast in order to look natural with the black & white film stock of the era. Now I really want to construct a pink, yellow, and green diorama to see how it looks in monochrome.

There is, of course, a difference in how various film stocks responded to and recorded color, which differs from how digital sensors respond to color, so I don't know if the same methods apply. As you note, ex³perimentation! Rochelle's hair in the photo from yesterday, however, suggests that pink still records well in digital monochrome.

Do you snap your photos in monochrome mode, or convert in post-production?

Thanks! I think that modern methods can make a good B&W pic out of any color combo, still, I find the idea of having a diorama exclusively for B&W pics fun and charming (if a bit time-, space- and effort-consuming)!

I convert pics after I take them. My phone camera doesn't have a B&W mode, and I need to correct colors anyway, because its white ballance settings suck, so instead of fixing the colors I desaturate them, or use a filter.

(10-20-2020, 06:15 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: What a fascinating tid-bit about the Addams Family set.  I thought it was an elaborate dolls-house room at first glance.

Mr Morgenstern is very noble sacrificing himself so the others could run away.

It's funny, isn't it? Oh, but now you made me want a dollhouse replica of the 0001 Cemetery Lane mansion... With proper doll crew, of course.

He is the part-time secret agent of Her Insane Majesty, after all wink

(10-20-2020, 06:44 PM)Elfy Wrote: The spikes on his armour look like a good defensive weapon.

I think he can utilize them in more ways than I can imagine...

Day 294

Still having a migraine, to a point of being unable to draw, as I can't focus my eyes, so here's another substitute pic, I'll catch up with the monsters later.

[Image: ef8ba920b434c5ecaf6a0b2925171642.jpg]
The adorable twins with a lovely looking card.
Beautiful!
It's a lovely doodle, with the twins looking appropriately floral-coloured to show it off.
I think Mr Morgenstern needs to be in a movie. He looks like he should have his own movie. Some steampunky action/adventure thing where he does something dashing and heroic.
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
I always like seeing the twins. There’s something weirdly mesmerising about them.
And the card is still coloured appropriately for the twin. So cute
Thank you very much, everyone!!!

While they're not really twins, just sisters, they do seem to have strong twin vibes, don't they? Like that special twin connection when they can feel whether the other one is OK. Or maybe telepathy. Their outfits probably add to it, too.

Incidentally, all the flowers in the card are quite poisonous, and while the moth isn't, it's death's-head hawkmoth, so it's connected to death symbolically.
...Now that I said that out loud / wrote it publicly, I think I need some poisonous moths in Oddwickshire.

Day 295

I feel totally uninspired today, so I had to use a magically-make-any-photo-pretty doll, this time it would be Rebecca.

[Image: 88cb1af18966b703333410b49914106f.jpg]

[Image: b094f4715304a77710198dc2b74c7b32.jpg]
Rebecca is a stunning doll, I can see why you'd say she makes any photo pretty.

And yes with the strong twin vibes.
The sketch is lovely, and all the more intriguing knowing the background behind it. My botanical knowledge is sadly lacking. I would have thought it was a sketch of your lavender-based herb garden.

Constructing a miniature version of the Addams Family mansion set would be... well, it would be beyond my skill set. That staircase would be amazing to see in model form.

Rebecca is quite lovely, which certainly comes in handy if you need a "quick and pretty" dolly pic. As long as you don't have to untangle her hair.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!