Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
(09-17-2020, 11:03 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Cute name for cute bear!

They're called 'lékorky' (singular is lékorka) in Czech, from our word for liquorice - 'lékořice'. Sorry, I just have this uncontrollable urge to share all our words with ř...

Heh, thank you! 

Ooh, that's actually really interesting! I didn't know. Now I do /cue theme jingle in here. 

(09-18-2020, 09:18 AM)davidd Wrote: My grandmother always had a glass bowl with a glass lid sitting on an end table filled with Allsorts and Dolly Mixture.

I only learned what "Dolly Mixture" was when I joined the best online forum ever (prior to this one), Dollie Mixtures. And it made me think of my grandma and her candy dish, and many happy hours spent ensconced in the big comfy chair in my grandparents' living room, reading books under the light of the wall-mounted lamp and conveniently close to the Allsorts and Dolly Mix bowl.

The Allsorts and Dolly Mix were all kind of melted together, of course, so that is how I remember them.

And now you mention Allsorts on the current best online forum ever!

I need to buy this:  https://www.amazon.com/Crillys-Liquorice...B07G6VQLTF

And... are we starting another ABC round on Bear Day? YAY! That is sure to be all sorts of fun!

Okay I have to agree that Dollie Mixtures sounds like a fantastic name for a doll forum and kind of wish it was still going just by name alone. Allsorts and Dolly Mixtures are like... some of the most common sweets and it seems that you always get them together here so I'm glad to see that extend outside of the UK. 

Oooh yes, go buy! 

I hope this A-to-Z round is good! 

(09-18-2020, 12:19 PM)Alliecat Wrote: Allsorts is a perfect match for the tub of raspberry ripple ice cream currently in my freezer smile

Raspberry ripple! There's a type of ice cream I've not had in a very long time and now will not be able to get the association of it for Allsorts out of my head. 

(09-18-2020, 03:05 PM)Elfy Wrote: I love her. She’s so cheerful and colourful.

Thank you! 

- - - 

262. B is for BMR1959

[Image: 74865491_52598ab9d6bda34d6df538911b34503f_standard.jpg]

Another one of these dolls! I find I like this line even if parts of my brain are questioning choices. Anyway! This is Charlotte Tyler, fondly called Charlie. She works at a teen magazine, in a research department and can be asked to look up anything from sustainably sourced clothing, to information regarding various political systems. She's never bored, is the point.
I dig her hair! I also have my usual complaints about Mattel's lipstick choices for black dolls, but the hair is amazing, so that makes up for the lipstick.
The 1959 line definitely has cool outfits, which look like they'd be great for mix-n-match, seeing as how the individual pieces are so eclectic.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
I suspect those earring could possibly stretch her lobes.
(09-18-2020, 07:27 PM)werepuppy Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 11:03 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Cute name for cute bear!

They're called 'lékorky' (singular is lékorka) in Czech, from our word for liquorice - 'lékořice'. Sorry, I just have this uncontrollable urge to share all our words with ř...

Heh, thank you! 

Ooh, that's actually really interesting! I didn't know. Now I do /cue theme jingle in here.

OK, now that we're at it, I have the urge to share that in Hungarian, liquorice is actually called 'medvecukor' - which literally means 'bear candy'  smile

Charlie has some colour clashes there that I don't normally like, but she pulls off the look fabulously! She sounds like a cool person, and so does her job!
My Flickr Gallery blush

"I wear my sunglasses at night
So I can, so I can
See the light that's right before my eyes"
(09-18-2020, 07:45 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I dig her hair! I also have my usual complaints about Mattel's lipstick choices for black dolls, but the hair is amazing, so that makes up for the lipstick.

The hair was what actually drew me to her? Which admittedly does happen with a lot of Barbies if I'm honest. It's just such a great shade, and the style is surprisingly intricate for the scale. I also really liked her jacket. It's a bit of a throwback to the 80s power dressing style.

(09-19-2020, 03:53 AM)davidd Wrote: The 1959 line definitely has cool outfits, which look like they'd be great for mix-n-match, seeing as how the individual pieces are so eclectic.

I have to completely agree with you there - the potential for dressing and sharing pieces is high. If the outfits were sold seperately thought, I don't know if I would pick them up... Which is an interesting thought.

(09-19-2020, 11:55 AM)Elfy Wrote: I suspect those earring could possibly stretch her lobes.

I like to think she doesn't wear them that often, only for meetings. That or they don't weigh as much as we'd initially think.

(09-19-2020, 07:35 PM)Loona Wrote: OK, now that we're at it, I have the urge to share that in Hungarian, liquorice is actually called 'medvecukor' - which literally means 'bear candy'  smile

Charlie has some colour clashes there that I don't normally like, but she pulls off the look fabulously! She sounds like a cool person, and so does her job!

Oh, okay that is amazing and I need to find a way to use it at some point! 

A lot of the BM1959 is clashing and yet... it sort of works. Somehow. 

- - -

263. C is for CJ

[Image: 74913380_d27856e6e683f95aca9817915e2acc80_standard.jpg]

Youngest chil of Captain Hook, and a general trouble maker, CJ was a definite pick up when I saw her in the storea few years ago. Honestly, the only downside of her - in my opinion - is that her outfit is all one piece. I get that this cuts down on bulk, but at the same time it would have been so amazing if her jacket was it's own piece, and the shorts and tights. Still, CJ is a very endearing doll. And she's a pirate, so perfect for Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Pirate lass, she be perfect for any day!

(Yaaay, Descendants!)
She looks tough enough to be a pirate. I can see why you fell for her. That's a huge bummer about her outfit though - I was just about to say I love her outfit and the pieces look great candidates for mixing&matching. I don't know if that's more sad or lame sad
My Flickr Gallery blush

"I wear my sunglasses at night
So I can, so I can
See the light that's right before my eyes"
Shame about the jacket not being its own thing. What if she gets hot?
Too bad about the outfit. You can't tell in a photo, but, it would be nice to be able to mix 'n match a little.
Elfy, perhaps she sails in northern seas.
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
She be a right sprightly lass!
(09-19-2020, 10:13 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Pirate lass, she be perfect for any day!

(Yaaay, Descendants!)

Pirates are a great thing to see. In media. 

(There's meant to be a new wave coming entitled 'Royal Wedding'... hm.)

(09-20-2020, 05:35 AM)Loona Wrote: She looks tough enough to be a pirate. I can see why you fell for her. That's a huge bummer about her outfit though - I was just about to say I love her outfit and the pieces look great candidates for mixing&matching. I don't know if that's more sad or lame sad

Sad, I think, because as I said, I can understand with companies do it. It doesn't mean I like it, or that I think they should do it, but I can understand why they do it. 

(09-20-2020, 10:26 AM)Elfy Wrote: Shame about the jacket not being its own thing. What if she gets hot?

This is a good point, though I do know people who would risk overheating for the sake of looking good so maybe CJ is just one of them?

(09-20-2020, 11:43 AM)Alliecat Wrote: Too bad about the outfit.  You can't tell in a photo, but, it would be nice to be able to mix 'n match a little.

Honestly, it wasn't till I went to try taking it off - the jacket at least - that I realised it was all one piece. I wanted to see if the sleeves of the jacket would hold up to redressing, saw it was all one piece, and then stopped those plans. 

(09-20-2020, 02:43 PM)davidd Wrote: She be a right sprightly lass!

A Captain in her own right, while her big brother is only a First Mate (though he's first mate to the granddaughter of Posedion so... not sure how that ranks up.)

- - - 

264. D is for Demonologist

[Image: 74950728_b56c1d57359e81ae6822267858c19314_standard.jpg]

Red Riding Storm, or rather just Red as she goes by around here. She's the Room's foremost demonologist, with a good smattering of folklore. It all started with an encounter with a wolf, you see, and she's never looked back.
Bad. Ass.

I love her! And what a lovely hair color!
Ooh, I like her! Her hair and her outfit are both awesome.
Demonologist? Takes one to know one, I'd say, by the looks of her!