PrettyTiny Film Company Pic-A-Week **2021**! (The End)
(02-11-2021, 10:42 AM)Alliecat Wrote: One of the Christmas cactuses was Dad's mom's, so it's over 100 years old -- but then someone gave Mom one and they look the same and now I've lost track of which is which.  Augh!!  So now I have to keep both of them!!

Okay, that's both funny and... you gotta admit, pretty pathetic! But keeping both, no problem with that! Your grandkids will be able to say, "one of these plants is nearly 200 years old!"

My mom had a hoya plant that belonged to my grandmother, who had had it forever, or at least, as near as I can determine, since the mid-1940s. I remember it being huge when I was a little kid. It sent vines climbing all over the room it was in, and once in a great while it would develop clusters of little waxy white flowers.

Anyway, after my grandmother passed away my mom kept the hoya plant. But last year, while my mom was in the hospital, my brother, who was looking after her place, neglected to water it. By the time I went out there this past summer what was left of the plant was completely dried up. I dug up the roots, brought them home, and soaked them in water for weeks, hoping desperately to see a sign of life, but nope. It was gone.

This article is funny: it starts off with the line, "If you remember a vine creeping around your grandmother's kitchen, chances are it was a hoya plant."
https://pistilsnursery.com/blogs/journal...-cultivars

Perhaps I'll get one of my own one of these days for old times' sake.

It is nice that your cacti have a cute little plant nurse to take care of them! And they seem to respond well to the personal attention!
They're not dolls, they're action figures!

Messages In This Thread
RE: PrettyTiny Film Company Pic-A-Week **2021**! (#6, Feb. 10) - by davidd - 02-11-2021, 03:28 PM