Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: A tale of Two Wigs, Blanche vs Tiphona
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wanted to tell a Tale of two wigs. Last week I had a customer receive a Blanche who's arm had broken in shipment. Anyway I opened another Blanche so I could send a replacement arm and decided to keep her and give her some loving care. I already have a MIB Blanche in my collection that I had not deboxed yet (I like the look of the dolls in the box so half of what I collect I keep sealed). So this gave me a chance to have one out of the box as well. Her face-up is absolutely adorable but her wig was a mess. There was hair falling out of all the thick curls so I decided to give her a Shampoo and conditioning as I do with a lot of the dolls I debox. Wow all I have to say was her wig was one of the worst monsters I have dealt with so fair. So many knots. It was terrible I spent about 2 hours combing and brushing and finally gave up and chopped an inch off the wig so I could brush the hair proper. Finally with brush-able hair I rinsed and let it dry. It was still quite messy so I put it up in pig tails and ended up happy with her look I thought it was cute but not perfect. I suspect I will get her a wig eventually.

Anyway today I decided to debox a Tiphona (After selling her Stock) and wow not only is her face-up beautiful but her hair was so soft and knot free. This time I took a slightly damp brush and brushed down any cowlicks and was done with her in 3 minutes.

What a huge difference in experience between the two girls.

Here is my two newest girls:
[Image: 5760482158_d99b81e4ea_b.jpg]
Oh yes, wigs with ringlets are a horrible mess. I've learned that the hard way. But they are so gorgeous when they are new. D: Both your girls are lovely! I always loved Blanche. <3 And Tiphona is even prettier than the stock pictures.
Wow, Tiphona's wig looks great even through the picture. I had such a disappointing experience with my first Pullip (Lunatic Queen) wig, then was pleasantly surprised with the next one (Mir). Still, I think it's rather disappointing that these are pretty expensive dolls yet most of us end up re-wigging them right away because the quality of the stock wigs tend to be so low.

I'm really loving your Tiphona!
I agree with you Tiphona's wig is actually really soft ^^ ..
btw your photo is adorable and I love Tiphona's outfit smile .. that top suits the LQ skirt nicely
The top and tights are from Naomi I thought they went together well with the LQ skirt wink

(05-26-2011, 03:39 PM)chocoang3l Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with you Tiphona's wig is actually really soft ^^ ..
btw your photo is adorable and I love Tiphona's outfit smile .. that top suits the LQ skirt nicely

Very lovely! Whenever I see Blanche's with their stock wigs I always wish I hadn't given mine a new one! But her hair is just too much for me!
I've heard (for SOME wigs, at least) that it's possible to put the wig into hair curlers and boil it to get ringlets- I think that CoolCat Collection (or was it GoodBlythe? it was some famous customization supply seller I was browsing via a link from their ebay) has a tutorial on their site? :? Since the wigs are all different, though, one would have to research it... But if someone wanted to get ringlets back in the hair, I think that might be the only way... Just thought I'd mention that, since I'd never thought of it until seeing their tutorial.

I have a Veritas stock wig that I finally just put into a braid for similar reasons: it was like an out-of-control hurricane (I later found out that her stock wig is often like that, which is why so many people resell them! ^^; Well, ya' live and ya' learn... It looks better braided anyway, though.) I haven't heard of anyone have problems with Tiphonia, so maybe they used something different for her wig- it seems like the general consensus is that her stock wig is great, despite the length. Good to have it confirmed.