Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
They're a cute bunch.

(02-03-2020, 11:20 PM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]There is a 12" figure but the likeness... as a friend put it, it's not Poe Dameron, it's Mr. Bean.
Haha. I'd like to see that.
I really need to catch up on these movies.
The azones are all so cute (I do not need another collection, I do not need another collection...)
Yay for a - z!
"... but there's got to be so appreciation for Padme who did her best to uphold the democractic process while setting the standards of fashion very high."

Your droll commentary on the Star Wars saga never fails to crack me up, both for its succinct insightfulness and its levity.

I missed so much during my absence! You successfully concluded your first Alphabet run (with a particularly interesting conversation about Xena occurring near the end) and, after a brief respite, began another! So many fun comments to read through!

Interesting that you're considering parting with your Potter crew, and the general sense of fading interest I see among those who commented. I was wondering what Universal Studios was thinking when the constructed Harry Potter Wizarding World. Did they really believe the franchise would have enough staying power to make such a colossal investment worthwhile? Or did they expect such huge initial profits that the investment made sense? The first Harry Potter movie is old now, having been released nineteen years ago. People visiting Harry Potter World are probably parents... and maybe even grandparents... taking their kids and grand-kids there because "this was really popular when I was your age."

Anyway, seems like maybe Ron might fit in with some of the escapades in The Room.
(02-04-2020, 12:04 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Azones Heart

What a bunch of cuties! Seriously, they're all so adorable.

I'm hooked on these, I'm definitely going to try to get more soon!

I'm hoping to be able to increase my Azone collection by at least one this year - ideally the first Alvastaria Milo release. He's the perfect Artful Dodger in my mind, and well, I do have my perfect Oliver as an Azone so... makes sense to get his erstwhile friend in the same line. I'd also like to get another Lil' Fairy - Will is the one I've been looking at as the baby Goth feel of him fits my style so well, LOL.

(02-04-2020, 04:31 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]They're a cute bunch.

(02-03-2020, 11:20 PM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]There is a 12" figure but the likeness... as a friend put it, it's not Poe Dameron, it's Mr. Bean.
Haha.  I'd like to see that.  
I really need to catch up on these movies.

Thank you.

Also: 12" Poe Dameron

As for catching up on the movies... Well, I was going to write a whole thing here about my opinions on each film in a pithy one line summary, but that would not be so great for you forming your own. I will ask that if you do see the films, please disregard my takes on the characters - I work on Rule of Funny and that does not line up well with the films tbh. 

(02-04-2020, 06:22 AM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]The azones are all so cute (I do not need another collection, I do not need another collection...)

I genuinely said that myself before I got my first Azone. Now look at me. ... Ah, well! Dolls, man, this hobby just makes your wallet bleed.

(02-04-2020, 06:56 AM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]Yay for a - z!

Thank you dear! Not sure how many times I'll do it throughout the year. I think I will do an A-to-Z that is just one doll per photo based on their names at one point, that feels like it would be fun. 

(02-04-2020, 01:00 PM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]"... but there's got to be so appreciation for Padme who did her best to uphold the democractic process while setting the standards of fashion very high."

Your droll commentary on the Star Wars saga never fails to crack me up, both for its succinct insightfulness and its levity.

I missed so much during my absence! You successfully concluded your first Alphabet run (with a particularly interesting conversation about Xena occurring near the end) and, after a brief respite, began another! So many fun comments to read through!

Interesting that you're considering parting with your Potter crew, and the general sense of fading interest I see among those who commented. I was wondering what Universal Studios was thinking when the constructed Harry Potter Wizarding World. Did they really believe the franchise would have enough staying power to make such a colossal investment worthwhile? Or did they expect such huge initial profits that the investment made sense? The first Harry Potter movie is old now, having been released nineteen years ago. People visiting Harry Potter World are probably parents... and maybe even grandparents... taking their kids and grand-kids there because "this was really popular when I was your age."

Anyway, seems like maybe Ron might fit in with some of the escapades in The Room.

Fandom - especially the Star Wars fandom can take itself far too seriously. I'd prefer to be able to have a laugh about it all, so I will stick to Rule of Funny and see what happens. 

A-to-Z is going to be a recurring thing throughout the year, I think. I'm enjoying the challenge it gives me, even if some of my pictures may just be simple shots of the dolls/figures/bears that happen to have a name that begins with that particular letter. It's still something new. 

It's less that I'm less interested in the franchise - I still enjoy the books and world - but less interested in the merch in general. I also find that while I've been able to make other characters from fantastical worlds fit well within the Room, weirdly the HP crew feel oddly stuck in their own world with their own goings-on. I'm giving myself a short reprieve before I list them anywhere - thinking of just selling them as a bundle - but I do not see them sticking around for the whole year. 

Nice to see you back! 

- - - 

35. B is for BeGoth

[Image: 65594529_63b8bfdec80d80301a5b7994b6e0e30b_standard.jpg]

Only a small smattering of my collection because trying to get them all into shot was not working out well, at all. My BeGoth collection is one of my prides of my general doll collection as I didn't get into the line until after they had stopped being made. I've always managed to find good prices for them - never more than original retail. 

Plus they're just fun to look at.
Your Begoths are awesome! I always enjoy seeing them in your photos.
This is only part of your BeGoth collection? How cool to have a massive collection of these amazing figures, which seemed to have a fairly impressive run despite largely flying under the radar (eclipsed in part by the somewhat more popular - over here at any rate - Living Dead Dolls). Most of your BeGoths are the 12-inch size, right? Do you have any of the 7-inch... which I suppose would be more accurately described as "figures" rather than "dolls" due to their limited articulation.
You must have quite a lot of them. It can be challenging finding discontinued dolls at good prices (hello, J-Dolls?!) but it sounds like you've done well.

(02-04-2020, 11:42 PM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Also: 12" Poe Dameron
I suppose he is somewhat Mr Bean-ish. I guess you get what you pay for. Although it would be interesting to see what a talented repainter could make of him.
BeGoths are a very interesting line - how many more do you have that you couldn’t get them all in the shot?

Davidd, I don’t think Harry Potter is a dying franchise in terms of popularity. Just because the first movie was a generation ago doesn’t mean that new people aren’t being introduced to the world all the time. Both our nieces have just started reading the books (12 & 10 yo) and the older one wasn’t influenced by her mum as she doesn’t particularly enjoy them. So the niece has been influenced from somewhere else.
There’s a new movie series -set before the HP books, and the musical play - set after, which has been incredibly popular here at least.

But I agree with you werepuppy, if they don’t bring you joy (and fit into The Room), time to move them on & get a non-Mr Bean-looking Poe smile
(02-05-2020, 02:44 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Your Begoths are awesome! I always enjoy seeing them in your photos.

Thank you! It's a shame they ended when they did - right before Monster High launched. They would have found new life with the monsters around, and probably managed another few series at least. 

(02-05-2020, 03:23 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]This is only part of your BeGoth collection? How cool to have a massive collection of these amazing figures, which seemed to have a fairly impressive run despite largely flying under the radar (eclipsed in part by the somewhat more popular - over here at any rate - Living Dead Dolls). Most of your BeGoths are the 12-inch size, right? Do you have any of the 7-inch... which I suppose would be more accurately described as "figures" rather than "dolls" due to their limited articulation.

Hee, thank you! I have been fortunate enough to gather a collection of 17 of the 12" dolls over the years. LDDs seem to be more popular over here as well, though more ex.pensive due to Mezco not really having the best UK distribution... I do not have any of the 7" figures, largely as I've found them to be oddly more ex.pensive on the secondary market than the dolls, and the few that are cheaper have never really appealed to me. Perhaps I will find one that hits the right price point, and right look for me. 

(02-05-2020, 12:25 PM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]You must have quite a lot of them.  It can be challenging finding discontinued dolls at good prices (hello, J-Dolls?!) but it sounds like you've done well.

17 over 9 years so... Actually fairly well. Averages to roughly 2 a year, which is very surprising to me. I wish J-Dolls were easier to find, and at good prices - I looked up the releases, and there's a few others I would have loved to own. It was lucky for US-people when Tuesday Morning got a ton in, but that is not a UK store. Ah well, I forever trawl eBay and Mandarake.

(02-05-2020, 09:31 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]BeGoths are a very interesting line - how many more do you have that you couldn’t get them all in the shot?

I agree with you werepuppy, if they don’t bring you joy (and fit into The Room), time to move them on & get a non-Mr Bean-looking Poe smile

There are 12 more that aren't in that shot. I was trying to go for one that looked nice, rather than all-encompassing. Using the risers helps somewhat there.

LOL, yeah. I think I will be posting them on a selling page soon enough - just need to get off my bum and take a photograph of them.

- - - 

36. C is for Charlie Bears

[Image: 65638273_6faba633ad1a9523d230f23e1e0ca3bc_standard.jpg]

Another one of the big collections I have, that being bear collecting. Charlie Bears are known as being bears with personality, and I've always found that to be very true. In this picture we have Smartie (blue), Ragsy (pastels), and Smudge (purple/green.) Just three of my collection, but I liked how they looked together like this.
Each one is unique! And they look so fluffy, I can almost feel it through the screen!
(02-05-2020, 09:31 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t think Harry Potter is a dying franchise in terms of popularity.  Just because the first movie was a generation ago doesn’t mean that new people aren’t being introduced to the world all the time.  Both our nieces have just started reading the books (12 & 10 yo) ....

I'm pleased to learn that you know of young readers who are still reading the HP books (which pre-date the movies, obviously, making them almost ancient history nowadays). I do not know of many young people who read, and often times, once a movie version comes out, the books are forgotten.

From the tons of little bit of time I waste on "social media" (like Instagram and stuff), the impression I get is that the HP saga is mostly popular with the 30-something age bracket.

On topic: what a colorful collection of furry bears! I like the way the colors blend in to one another.
Ooo, they look sooo soft and plushy and huggable!
Bears are awesome.
So cute and squishy.

I really should photo some of my collection for the challenge this year.