Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(02-06-2020, 02:38 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Each one is unique! And they look so fluffy, I can almost feel it through the screen!

They are so soft! A lot of Charlie Bears may have a similar style (patchwork, or panda, etc) but they're always different to look at. And so soft. 

(02-06-2020, 03:11 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]On topic: what a colorful collection of furry bears! I like the way the colors blend in to one another.

I was very picky about which ones made it into the alphabet photograph... Which was very hard because theyre all so lovely. 

(02-06-2020, 10:49 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Ooo, they look sooo soft and plushy and huggable!

They are! 

(02-06-2020, 04:21 PM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]Bears are awesome.

Agreed, love your hug!

(02-06-2020, 04:55 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]So cute and squishy.

I really should photo some of my collection for the challenge this year.

Ooh, that would be cool to see! 

- - - 

37. D is for Descendants

[Image: 65686681_c29d163d17526620607e463f1d69eb8a_standard.jpg]

Aka Disney's answer to Ever After High that kind of surpassed it due to being the versions of the fairy tales people remember most. Gotta love having a monopoly on people's childhoods.

I always found the dolls of these pretty fun, even if they never made some of the characters I would want - Uma needs her crew around, but there aren't any of Harry Hook or Gil. 

Still, they've always been fun to look at and for Hasbro's first run at the Disney license, the dolls came out well.
Personally, I preferred EAH over the Descendants, partly because they were first but more because I thought they were more original and clever. But the Descendants have their own charm, particularly in their somewhat sarcastic ex-pressions.

Plus... girl pirates!

(C J Hook is difficult to find even on eBay. I wonder if she was primarily a European release?)
I like EAH better, but I do like Descendants, too. Always pleased to see your crew!
I also preferred EAH, but I did buy some Descendants for their outfits for the Pullips.

(I had an acquaintance who would regularly receive a bag of naked dollies for her daughter & grandaughter - much to the amusement of the knitting group - who were always delighted with the interesting “barbies” that appeared every few months).
I liked the Descendants films, but the concept and the dolls of EAH were better.
I'm not familiar with any of these either, but it's another line you have a nice variety of.
(02-07-2020, 02:56 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]Personally, I preferred EAH over the Descendants, partly because they were first but more because I thought they were more original and clever. But the Descendants have their own charm, particularly in their somewhat sarcastic ex-pressions.

Plus... girl pirates!

(C J Hook is difficult to find even on eBay. I wonder if she was primarily a European release?)

I liked both lines equally, if I'm honest. I will say I did kind of like thaty the Descendants did seem to wear stuff that wasn't always ballgown-ish? Not that the EAH stuff wasn't gorgeous just... very ballgown-ish.

(I do remember hearing that some US people have difficulty finding her. I will have a lot and see.)

(02-07-2020, 04:23 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]I like EAH better, but I do like Descendants, too. Always pleased to see your crew!

EAH did do a lot of very creative things! Thank you! 

(02-07-2020, 08:51 AM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]I also preferred EAH, but I did buy some Descendants for their outfits for the Pullips.

(I had an acquaintance who would regularly receive a bag of naked dollies for her daughter & grandaughter - much to the amusement of the knitting group - who were always delighted with the interesting “barbies” that appeared every few months).

How did the outfits fit on Pullips? I had a feeling they might be a little baggy?

(02-07-2020, 02:20 PM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]I liked the Descendants films, but the concept and the dolls of EAH were better.

I think the concept of both was a good way of looking at the same idea. Both were essentially looking at being forced into roles irregardless of what the person wanted...

(02-07-2020, 02:46 PM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not familiar with any of these either, but it's another line you have a nice variety of.

Descendants is a series of Disney Channel Original Movies looking at the kids of heroes and villains. Honestly the concept is more interesting that the execution but it's not terrible. It's quite fun if I'm honest, and the third movie brought in Hades so always a plus. 

- - - 

38. E is for Enchanting

[Image: 65728893_bedaad8bef121fc5ba0f0f828ecbd7d0_standard.jpg]

Little Emerald in the dress I made for her! 

For those who are curious, Emerald the Enchanting Witch was one of three dolls that were only made for a single year back in the 1970s. Emerald is from 1972 and was made by Girls' World, which appears to have been a division of Milton Bradley. Her gimmick was that her eyes would glow (thanks to a battery). I have no idea whether the gimmick still works on this particular one, but it doesn't really bother me if it does, because I find her adorable. 

She was one of my vintage grails and I was so fortunate to find her at the beginning of the year. Wish me luck in finding a Peteena!
My dolls wish I got to sewing their outfits as quickly as you do... I'm way behind the planned schedule LOL

Emerald is such a unique doll, and I love that combo of purple and green!!!
(02-08-2020, 12:49 AM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]I liked both lines equally, if I'm honest. I will say I did kind of like thaty the Descendants did seem to wear stuff that wasn't always ballgown-ish? Not that the EAH stuff wasn't gorgeous just... very ballgown-ish.

I suppose my positive impression of EAH is based largely on the Dragon Games releases, which wore armor rather than gowns. Well, armor over gowns, but still, armor. Prior to the Dragon Games series, I did not have much interest in EAH, other than thinking it was a clever spin-off from the Monster High concept.

I think if you could get Emerald's eyes to light up it would be kinda freaky-cool! But yeah, I get what you mean about it not being a big deal. How often do I push the button to light up the Novi Stars dolls I have with a similar feature? Like, never.
Two E’s, one for Emerald and one for Enchanting.
(02-08-2020, 12:57 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]My dolls wish I got to sewing their outfits as quickly as you do... I'm way behind the planned schedule LOL

Emerald is such a unique doll, and I love that combo of purple and green!!!

Hehe, I was so excited to have Emerald, that I started work on her dress quickly. Plus it's really just two square of fabric sewn together with a neckhole cut out, so it's not anything special. 

Her colouring is so lovely - I think Operetta has the nearest shade of purple if you're looking at Monster High, but it's not exact. And such pastel shades of each which actually makes the purple and green combination look really nice? It's so odd, but I adore her. 

(02-08-2020, 01:42 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]I suppose my positive impression of EAH is based largely on the Dragon Games releases, which wore armor rather than gowns. Well, armor over gowns, but still, armor. Prior to the Dragon Games series, I did not have much interest in EAH, other than thinking it was a clever spin-off from the Monster High concept.

I think if you could get Emerald's eyes to light up it would be kinda freaky-cool! But yeah, I get what you mean about it not being a big deal. How often do I push the button to light up the Novi Stars dolls I have with a similar feature? Like, never.

Dragon Games is genuinely what I would call the best release of EAH, and I wish there had been more of it. I loved the look of the armour and just... yes, so much love that that particular line. 

I do want to try it, but it's a gimmick from the 70s and I just can't help but wonder if it would even work now. I have looked and the mechanism is all clean, it would just be finding the right bulb and battery.

(02-08-2020, 12:07 PM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]Two E’s, one for Emerald and one for Enchanting.

Ahh, very true, I did not realise that when I posted, so isn't that a lovely thing.

- - - 

39. F is for Fashion

[Image: 65766248_a3503ae5aec7a1d596b27b7bc5f1d180_standard.jpg]

Which quite a few of the people in the room believe is a form of personal ex.pression, as Akiko and Marnie will show here. Akiko prefers comfort in her clothing, while Marnie likes looks a little bit stylish. Both still fashionable, but both ex.pressing themselves differently.

(Akiko did have to reassure Marnie that the sneakers worked with the dress - she's got bigger feet than most dolls, so there aren't many heels her size.)
Aaah, two blue-haired beauties! I like the flower print on Marnie's skirt.
F is for fabulously fashionable futuristic fembot!
Marnie puts me in mind of Marissa Meyer’s Lunar Chronicles.
I really like the blue shade of Akiko's hair. Looks like a cute jacket too.