Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heart L Heart

I only know the anime, but I love him!

Those feet are great, he can perch on armchairs in his preferred way...
(03-07-2020, 03:19 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]You can practically say "I've been waiting for you all my life," and mean it literally! Or, half your life, anyway!

Now... I have heard it said that the one true World's Greatest Detective is Basil of Baker Street. I think, then, that what we need to see is a Great Detect-Off Contest!

Congratulations on acquiring what can truly be described as a "grail doll."

I never ex.pected to be waiting so long to get hold of this figure, but when I say the secondary market prices were ridiculous I mean it - he was sitting about £400 for years

Hmmm how to plot a great detect-off in this room... Hmm... I'll put thought into it. (Help me if Revoltech ever announce they're doing a Basil in one of their Movie Revo lines...)

Thank you very much! 

(03-07-2020, 06:23 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Heart L Heart

I only know the anime, but I love him!

Those feet are great, he can perch on armchairs in his preferred way...

Heh. Weirdly, I actually prefer the Japanese live action films over the anime. I put it down to them being the first adaptations of the manga I saw so those portrayals stuck in my head a bit more.

.... So I need to try to make a 1/6 scale chair that L can perch on properly...

- - - 

67. A is for Anthromorphic Personification

[Image: 66973241_43724e23036acb0594edff5132526594_standard.jpg]

Meaning giving human aspects to thinks that should not be considered human. Such as Death, for example. The best version of Death in all of fiction is the one from Discworld, and this is one of their aspects, Death of Rats. One of the best plush to own ever.
SQUEAK.

He's adorable. I would be so happy if there was a doll line that would specialize in Discworld characters. I would need so many of them! Maybe it's better that there isn't one, I already want so many dolls...
What a splendiforous term to use to roll out another ABC-themed daily challenge!
Not familiar with these characters, but L looks very poseable… It’s incredible that a comic has lasted that long.
(03-08-2020, 12:14 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]SQUEAK.

He's adorable. I would be so happy if there was a doll line that would specialize in Discworld characters. I would need so many of them! Maybe it's better that there isn't one, I already want so many dolls...

There did you to be figurines that each represented a different character, but I've never been able to find them for a decent price. Even if they did a ladies of Discworld doll thing that could be really cool. I'm a bit too enamoured with Discworld as it is.

(03-08-2020, 02:22 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]What a splendiforous term to use to roll out another ABC-themed daily challenge!

Most of them this month are kind of boring, but if I can think of a fun one, I will use it! 

(03-08-2020, 12:50 PM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Not familiar with these characters, but L looks very poseable… It’s incredible that a comic has lasted that long.

L is very poseable. He's also over a decade old, one one of the more fragile Medicom bodies, so I am being very, very careful with him. I wish I know how Oor Wullie - and it's companion strip The Broons - has lasted so long, but I have to say that I'm glad they have. 

- - - 

68. B is for Bucket

[Image: 67005966_9f4b4f5d1242345b3b80947772d2a0a8_standard.jpg]

When we went to see the show on the 26th, they had an upturned bucket for people to take their photographs on - recreating Oor Wullie's most famous pose. Of course, Basil needed to have a go of this himself.
The Death of Rats is so cute & squishy. Which is an odd thing to say about a skeleton with a scythe smile

Discworld is the best series, I adore it. I probably need to re-read the Tiffany books again soon, it’s been a year or so since I did.

Basil looks a bit small on the Official Bucket. Do you have one that’s more his scale to re-create the pose?
He looks like he owns the place, eventhough he's so small compared to the bucket!
Ooh, so that's not just any bucket, but an actual, or as LeJays, says, "official" stage prop bucket! Kewlness!

Now, having done something like this, Basil is ready to become a fully-fledged "traveling doll" or "traveling action figure." You'll have to take him out and about, all over the city, out in to the countryside, and all over the country this coming season for all kinds of travelogue adventures.

You were going to try to get out and about more this past summer, as I recall; maybe this can be the season! Basil at Hadrian's Wall, Basil on the bonnie banks of Loch Lomond, Basil at John O'Groats, and Basil stopping at every quirky tourist attraction and roadside oddity he sees along the way - it will be grand!
We need more Pratchett plushies.
AHHHH, YOU HAVE THE MEDICOM L FIGURE. I was just looking at him YESTERDAY, haha. He looks amazing!

Death Note will always be near and dear to my heart, as it was one of the first animes I watched. I got into it when I was about 14, nearly twelve years ago.
(03-08-2020, 11:30 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]The Death of Rats is so cute & squishy.  Which is an odd thing to say about a skeleton with a scythe smile

Discworld is the best series, I adore it.  I probably need to re-read the Tiffany books again soon, it’s been a year or so since I did.

Basil looks a bit small on the Official Bucket.  Do you have one that’s more his scale to re-create the pose?

It is, but we all know Death of Rats is the most adorable. I actually got this one to cosplay Susan Sto Helit (in Duty Mode), but I'm having difficulty finding the right kind of wig and dress for it. I will continue to search, however! 

Oh man, I love the Tiffany books. She's such a good wee witch, and I love the entire narrative in the first one that selfishness can be used for good. 

I do not have a correctly sized bucket at the moment, but I am looking for one. Or at least trying to work out how to make one. 

(03-09-2020, 03:15 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]He looks like he owns the place, even though he's so small compared to the bucket!

Basill apparently can make himself comfortable anywhere he wants. If he wants to own the bucket, he will own the bucket. Only not that one, that's Oor Wullie's and we cannae have the laddie greetin' o'er his missing pail. 

(03-09-2020, 03:39 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]Ooh, so that's not just any bucket, but an actual, or as LeJays, says, "official" stage prop bucket! Kewlness!

Now, having done something like this, Basil is ready to become a fully-fledged "traveling doll" or "traveling action figure." You'll have to take him out and about, all over the city, out in  to the countryside, and all over the country this coming season for all kinds of travelogue adventures.

You were going to try to get out and about more this past summer, as I recall; maybe this can be the season! Basil at Hadrian's Wall, Basil on the bonnie banks of Loch Lomond, Basil at John O'Groats, and Basil stopping at every quirky tourist attraction and roadside oddity he sees along the way - it will be grand!

Yes, very much the official bucket! 

I am hoping to get out a little bit more. It's the keeping wee Basil safe. I am hoping to get down to London in August, so hopefully that will result in some fun photographs. Getting further... Well, it's oddly harder to plan wee day trips than it is anything else >< We will need to wait and see. 

(03-09-2020, 01:47 PM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]We need more Pratchett plushies.

The Discworld Emporium has a few... Just, y'know, if you were curious. (I want that Death with cat one.)

(03-09-2020, 03:34 PM)DeadlyNova Wrote: [ -> ]AHHHH, YOU HAVE THE MEDICOM L FIGURE. I was just looking at him YESTERDAY, haha. He looks amazing!

Death Note will always be near and dear to my heart, as it was one of the first animes I watched. I got into it when I was about 14, nearly twelve years ago.

Yes, I do! Sorry, I still get a bit excited to think that that figure is a part of my collection finally after so so long. 

Death Note is a manga near to my heart, partly because it was one of my very first.  I mean, I did watch Digimon and Pokemon but ... yeah. 

- - - 

69. C is for Catty

[Image: 67052448_d0f470dcc3883f0e23e452734d96c86b_standard.jpg]

You know what I realised? I can use the A to Z to get each doll a moment in the spotlight.  So here is Catty Noir. ... I swear her hair looked tidier as I was taking the picture.
Mattel was driving me crazy with Catty's releases. I wanted one without gloves, but all the gloveless releases were multipacks with dolls I didn't want. And I really like her siggy, but that one never made it to Czech Republic.

Oh, and sorry for not commenting much over at Dollieh Sanctuary, I don't go there too often, because everyone I want to keep up with on daily basis is here and Kizuna and Chitose don't have very frequent updates, so sometimes, I even forget to check that place.
(03-10-2020, 01:37 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, and sorry for not commenting much over at Dollieh Sanctuary, I don't go there too often, because everyone I want to keep up with on daily basis is here and Kizuna and Chitose don't have very frequent updates, so sometimes, I even forget to check that place.

Same here re: there.

Yeah, I'm with you on the unruly hair. It doesn't matter how nicely I think I have doll hair smoothed down or brushed, in the photos after the fact there are always dozens of stray hairs, many of which catch and reflect the light better and brighter than any mirror could ever do.

By the time Catty was released I was buying far fewer Monster High figures. Where I was living at the time, she was very common, almost becoming a "shelf sitter" for a while. Now, in retrospect, I really wish I had picked her up, because she's a very cool figure.
The contrast between her black skin & bright pink hair is glorious. And I get your frustration with the messy hair that looks fine 2 seconds before the photo was taken.