Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
River is very cute, I like how they did the “skull” part of her face with the nose.

The white-bob version sounds very interesting. I’ll have to poke around to look for pics.
(03-25-2020, 02:17 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]I agree! River is one of the coolest MH releases! PURPLE GHOST WITH VISIBLE BONES, OMIGOSH!!!!!!!!!! I love River. I'm proud to have her.

I hope you'll get through this lockdown without issues. Keeping my fingers crossed!

River is just AMAZING and so much fun to display. 

Thank you, dear! 

(03-25-2020, 06:43 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Nice colour combination.  I like her candy-floss-coloured hair.
I guess they 'have' to institute lockdowns if people aren't going to maintain distance, but, all those people stuck at home with nothing to occupy their minds are going to contribute to the already-growing level of stir-crazy.  There seems to be some uncertainty here about what that would actually mean.  I mean, making people stay indoors when there are roads & highway with no one much on them, and certainly not close enough to worry about, and beaches, ditto.... seems silly.  We need fresh air & exercise.  
Not everywhere is as lucky though.
I wish you & your family peace of mind through this!  Take care of each other & keep well.

It is very cool coloured hair. Upkeep on that irl would be so hard to deal with. 

I think the phrase "social distancing" is a bit too new to be helpful. As much as it may have the potential to cause panic, "stay at home" is clearer and gives people clear instructions. 

We're doing well so far! 

(03-25-2020, 10:24 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps the enforced indoor-time will allow you an opportunity to eggsplore some of those walled-off passageways and secret stairways behind bookcases there in the manor house that you've not previously had time to get to.
yay 

In more seriousness, I hope the time passes quickly and creatively for you. We shall be here to amuse you throughout the duration... barring psychological melt-downs of our own... not that anything like that would happen.
right 

River is quite a nice MH figure, for the multiple reasons already mentioned... and because she's just so darn cute! That face-up is adorbs!

Keeping the mental health okay is going to be an issue for everyone right now, and I sincerely hope that people do find ways to keep their mind as stable as it can be. 

There's a real sense of mischief in River's face that is delightful. 

(03-25-2020, 03:46 PM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]They did market Brave oddly. I think it came out here before it screened in Scotland.

There was an early screening in Scotland at a film festival, but that was only to a limited number of people. It didn't come out properly here until a few days before the schools went back after summer. Like... it made no sense. 

(03-25-2020, 04:58 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]River is very cute, I like how they did the “skull” part of her face with the nose.

The white-bob version sounds very interesting.  I’ll have to poke around to look for pics.

I managed to find the concept art! Here!

- - - 

85. S is for Sidra

[Image: 67644558_1ce498d5af5759ee7a42a0f303e2eaea_standard.jpg]

Sidra is still one of the cooler Fashionistas, I think. In the Room she has her dear girlfriend, Yuukio, and is pretty damn happy with that. She's very good with coding, and is in the process of creating a game in the psychological horror genre.
Thanks for the link to the River Styxx concept art! The full scythe would have been awesome!

Sidra looks totally "nerdgirl hot" in those heavy-framed eyeglasses!
Sidra looks gorgeous. MtMs are quite ex²pensive here, but if they made (and distributed here) one with this skintone, I'd probably go for her. Although to be perfectly honest, I often dislike Mattel's lipstick color choices for dolls with dark skin.

Re: River and her staff - there's a reason why she's not wielding a scythe. She's daughter of Charon from Greek mythology, and he isn't technically a grim reaper, he's a psychopomp. He doesn't collect souls, he only ferries them across Styx and Acheron. River's staff is actually a bargepole. I like the nod to the Greek mythos, so instead of giving her a scythe, I'd like a separate grim reaper-themed release. Oh well, I can keep dreaming, but it's not like G1 MH is ever coming back...
(03-26-2020, 03:49 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]She's daughter of Charon from Greek mythology, and he isn't technically a grim reaper, he's a psychopomp. He doesn't collect souls, he only ferries them across Styx and Acheron. River's staff is actually a bargepole. I like the nod to the Greek mythos, so instead of giving her a scythe, I'd like a separate grim reaper-themed release. Oh well, I can keep dreaming, but it's not like G1 MH is ever coming back...

Gah! Obviously! How had that not occurred to me? Thank you for pointing out this über-obvious fact!
And here I was, having recently read A House-Boat on the Styx and still not making that scythe/barge-pole distinction. I feel so duhhhh... but much more informed now! Thank you!

Plus, new word: psychopomp
(03-26-2020, 02:38 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the link to the River Styxx concept art! The full scythe would have been awesome!

Sidra looks totally "nerdgirl hot" in those heavy-framed eyeglasses!

I keep wondering if there's a decent way to make one. There is, I just haven't done it yet LOL. 

I have no idea why I put the glasses on her, but they work nicely. 

(03-26-2020, 03:49 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Sidra looks gorgeous. MtMs are quite ex²pensive here, but if they made (and distributed here) one with this skintone, I'd probably go for her. Although to be perfectly honest, I often dislike Mattel's lipstick color choices for dolls with dark skin.

Re: River and her staff - there's a reason why she's not wielding a scythe. She's daughter of Charon from Greek mythology, and he isn't technically a grim reaper, he's a psychopomp. He doesn't collect souls, he only ferries them across Styx and Acheron. River's staff is actually a bargepole. I like the nod to the Greek mythos, so instead of giving her a scythe, I'd like a separate grim reaper-themed release. Oh well, I can keep dreaming, but it's not like G1 MH is ever coming back...

I need to fully agree on the lipstick colour picks. I would have went with a darker shade for this girl - maybe one of the darker ones on her top actually. There is a darker skinned MTM doll. There's also this BMR1959 offering who is nice looking, is also a different body shape and has a darker lip colour! So, y'know, there are options out there. 

See, this is true but I am wondering - using concept art as a jumping off point - if River was initially intended to be a daughter of the Grim Reaper rather than Charon. Likely that was changed because Charon is less scary to parents than a skeletal figure that beckons death. I do like the nods to Greek mythos - and it is in keeping with showing other parts of Greek mythos at a monster school - but I'm just spitballing possiblities here. 

(Also changing her origins to Greek mythos did give her a kick-ass name!)

- - - 

86. T is for Tweety

[Image: 67678891_e63cfdea379ea291a39815cb30126f9f_standard.jpg]

I really, really love her hair colour, which I honestly don't think I ever properly capture right in a photograph, and her little sulky ex.pression. A while back on this forum, there was a thread about characters you'd like to see made into Pullip and family dolls and I suggested with Addams Family, with little Dal here playing Wednesday. ... I still would love that, actually...
I really, really love Tweety's hair colour, too!

I would be so up for Addams Family Pullip... family. Lurch and Fester would need new body types, but I'd probably take them even if they were regular Taes.

Ooooh, that GHT94 BMR1959 (gee, what a product name) Barbie is gorgeous! When the relevant shops open again, and/or when the Czech Crown rises from the grave (our currency is also a victim of coronavirus), I'm gonna hunt for her! Gorgeous! Thank you for pointing me to her!

I thought it was a fan concept art for River, sort of what folks like Darko or Hayden Williams do. But I can imagine she was meant to be a Grim Reaper at first and then got toned down to a more family-friendly psychopomp, Mattel was already trying to play it safe (at least safer than before) when Haunted released. I've been feeling rather MH-nostalgic lately. I really wish these ghouls were still around, just as edgy as in the beginning.
That yellow and turquoise jacket (jumper?) is fun! I would be trying it on all my 1:6 scale figs!
Tweety is such a cute Dal, her shade of red hair is one of the nicest I think.
I almost forget you have Groove dolls...
She does look appropriately grumpy for the times LOL Cute though. The rainbow outfit looks nice on Sidra.
(03-26-2020, 10:56 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]I really, really love Tweety's hair colour, too!

I would be so up for Addams Family Pullip... family. Lurch and Fester would need new body types, but I'd probably take them even if they were regular Taes.

Ooooh, that GHT94 BMR1959 (gee, what a product name) Barbie is gorgeous! When the relevant shops open again, and/or when the Czech Crown rises from the grave (our currency is also a victim of coronavirus), I'm gonna hunt for her! Gorgeous! Thank you for pointing me to her!

I thought it was a fan concept art for River, sort of what folks like Darko or Hayden Williams do. But I can imagine she was meant to be a Grim Reaper at first and then got toned down to a more family-friendly psychopomp, Mattel was already trying to play it safe (at least safer than before) when Haunted released. I've been feeling rather MH-nostalgic lately. I really wish these ghouls were still around, just as edgy as in the beginning.

I would love to see them try to make a taller body for Lurch - though I think they would just use the normal body and give the doll built up shoes to create the height. 

I am hoping to maybe get hold of this one too - she is straight up gorgeous. 

Oh no, this was proper concept art. Sorry I should have made that clearer! And yeah, I'm really missing MH on the shelves...

(03-27-2020, 03:36 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]That yellow and turquoise jacket (jumper?) is fun! I would be trying it on all my 1:6 scale figs!

It's Dal sized, so it will fit on some Azones and Licca sized dolls - probably some MH too - but the hood will swamp them!

(03-27-2020, 09:18 AM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]Tweety is such a cute Dal, her shade of red hair is one of the nicest I think.

It really is such a lovely shade of red. Almost pinkish in some lights. 

(03-27-2020, 11:23 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]I almost forget you have Groove dolls...
She does look appropriately grumpy for the times LOL  Cute though.  The rainbow outfit looks nice on Sidra.

Yeaaaaah, I really should do more with them...

The rainbow top is one of my favourite fashionista stock outfits, ngl.

- - - 

87. U is for Uma

[Image: 67712543_51ccb74c4a9943c8550a78b3e8844fae_standard.jpg]

One of the Descendants crew and the one who should have never been painted in an antagonistic light in the movies. Seroously, her main motivation is getting all the kids off the Prison Isle they were on since birth. It's ... not a bad thing and yet. They did seem to realise the issue and showed her in a more sympathetic light. Doll wise? She's cute as hell. Also? Since today is World Theatre Day, please have Uma's big song: What's My Name
I really like her. I mean, she's a pirate, so of course I do. I don't follow the story, so I can't say anything about her character, but she looks like a nice gal.
Cute. And it looks like a fun outfit. Green & gold is another of my favourite colour combinations.
Does she have all the braid the actor did? I recall some “complaints” that Uma wasn’t just like the tv version because of it.

I don’t think she should have been a villain either, it’s perfectly reasonable what she was trying to do.

Also - Pirate Queen!!!
Adding pirates improves anything.