Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(04-19-2020, 02:57 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]I love Horrible Histories! Most of the very few things I remember about history come from those books!

That's an amazing shot of Wednesday! I'm sure she's making a mental list of people to whose tea she'd like to administer a drop or two from that bottle.

So glad people know Horrible Histories! Look, this series is popular enough that even in uni we could actually use it in class discussions. And one of my tutors allowed it for oral presentations as they found it summarised complicated topics really well in a few minutes. (He actually mentioned the English Civil War song to me,)

Oh, there is a full, full list. And not all of it is nice.

(04-19-2020, 05:09 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]I used to have a Horrible Histories book. Don't remember which one, now.

Looking at the tiny pic of the teeny figures, I think I can identify Henry VIII (I am, I am) on the bottom left, and perhaps Blackbeard the Pirate (Edward Teach) second row right.

And a Cro-Magnon or other caveman type on the top row, centre?

Gloriously gloomy pic of Wednesday!

Correct on both fronts! The guy up the top is just a general caveman - too small to show the physical differences between them. 

Wednesday does enjoy the gloomy. 

(04-19-2020, 11:33 AM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]I can get quite a few eras from the picture, there’s a pair of Egyptian soldiers, a pair of Roman soldiers, a different soldier from the Crimea War (I think, it might be Napoleonic ).
Then there’s Guy Fawkes, Blackbeard, Henry VIII, a Viking, I think maybe a Druid, but that one could also be a general Roman or Egyptian.

I could probably make some more guesses if I could see the characters a bit better.  I’ve never read any of the books or seen the show, but I am familiar with them.

It’s a fab pic of Wednesday, she looks very contemplative over her poison bottle there.

Very correct! I might post the slightly bigger version later...

Wednesday always considers how to use poison correctly.

(04-19-2020, 11:41 AM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]I didn’t know the HH’s did dolls, that’s a very cool collection.

Small little figures for a short lived game, but I'm proud of it. 

(04-19-2020, 12:20 PM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, Blackbeard & Henry are pretty obvious.  Couple of ancient Egyptian & Greek soldiers?  Is the guy with the red hat a Mayflower-era pilgrim? And the one with the big yellow shield maybe a Templar?
I think I recall seeing a Horrible Histories book at the library.

Wednesday looks like she's plotting something.

I really recommend reading the HH books - they're fun even now! 

Wednesday is always plotting. 

- - - 

110. J is for Jay

[Image: 68508418_3a7129570327f3bb9412934c2031a718_standard.jpg]

One of the Descendants! Son of Jafar, and kind of really underused in the movies. I like Jay, he's a badass. Well, for a Disney thing, anyway.
He looks like he'd be fun to hang around with!

How do Descendants and EAH boys compare, size-wise? Can they share outfits?
Jay looks like someone who could be particularly annoying to Forces of Destiny Kylo Ben. Tanned muscular guy with long flowing hair flirting with Rey. Yeah. Def that!

I can envision Gaston challenging Jay to a duel. Because, y'know, tanned muscular guy with long flowing hair.
Hmmm, yes, how does he fit in with the room crew?
(04-19-2020, 11:58 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]He looks like he'd be fun to hang around with!

How do Descendants and EAH boys compare, size-wise? Can they share outfits?

Jay is pretty fun. 

Descendants boys are a bit thicker - I'll try a clothing swap later on. I think it would be possible?

(04-20-2020, 03:19 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]Jay looks like someone who could be particularly annoying to Forces of Destiny Kylo Ben. Tanned muscular guy with long flowing hair flirting with Rey. Yeah. Def that!

I can envision Gaston challenging Jay to a duel. Because, y'know, tanned muscular guy with long flowing hair.

I mean Jay is only 16, so there might be a bit of awkwardness there... But you are right in that FoD Kylo Ben would be irritated with him.

Gaston is his one of friend's Dad. Though that friend does not have a doll yet, so,... yeah.

(04-20-2020, 12:37 PM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmm, yes, how does he fit in with the room crew?

He's friends with Evie and Mal, so basically, a bit of a troublemaker! 

- - - 

111. K is for Kylo Ben

[Image: 68545053_42a14b810ac6a3cadcb94c8fe2ce50aa_standard.jpg]

(Yes, that is what we call him around here.) 

The designated actual member of the Skywalker bloodline of the newest trilogy and, let's be honest, they could have done better in the writing. A general thought of that trilogy, actually. 

Admittedly my take on the character errs more to comedic than actual serious because, well, come on, it's so easy to do.  We're trying for a redemption arc, but it's one step forward, four steps back. 

At least he's stopped snapping about his name.
The emo-est of them all!

What a cool pose. I bet he practised it in front of mirror for hours wink
You totally changed this character's name for me forever. You know that, right?

The upshot of that is that the improved hybrid name makes him funny rather than annoying. Well, he's still annoying, but in a funny way. I can now enjoy the last Star Wars trilogy more by laughing at it.
Is that a Hot Toys one...?
I really need to catch up on several movies. Alas, no library these days.
Jay is a good-looking boy. I did like his character the most of the boys in the movies.

And Kylo Ben has totally been practicing that pose in front or the mirror smile
(04-20-2020, 11:00 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]The emo-est of them all!

What a cool pose. I bet he practised it in front of mirror for hours wink

The Emo-est of Edgelords! 

Ssh, don't tell anyone! 

(04-21-2020, 01:51 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]You totally changed this character's name for me forever. You know that, right? 

The upshot of that is that the improved hybrid name makes him funny rather than annoying. Well, he's still annoying, but in a funny way. I can now enjoy the last Star Wars trilogy more by laughing at it.

It feels more fitting for my comedic take, but I do find myself referring to the movie version like that too. 

Honestly, you know what this new trilogy has made me want again? The Hyperspace Hoopla. I feel like it would be hilarious

(04-21-2020, 11:28 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Is that a Hot Toys one...?
I really need to catch up on several movies.  Alas, no library these days.

It is, yeah. I mean, it's a fantastic likeness. 

I'd say Disney Plus but I don't know if The Rise of Skywalker is on there yet. It's very clear now that this trilogy was done with no forward planning so... Go in with the aim to just riff on things. 

(04-21-2020, 05:33 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]Jay is a good-looking boy.  I did like his character the most of the boys in the movies.

And Kylo Ben has totally been practicing that pose in front or the mirror smile

I really wish the boys had been given a little more airtime. The movies became basically The Mal Show and... Okay, so I like the character, but there are a lot of negative things that the movies let her away with. I'd better not get into it. 

Of course he has! Just... don't tell anyone! 

- - - 

112. L is for Licca

[Image: 68585070_4cb1a31b519c915573bab1d0a7f36f7c_standard.jpg]

Sometimes, we all just need a bit of cute and colour in our lives, and I've found Licca here is a good provider of that. She's actually a Hatsune Miku Licca redressed in an outfit from a Jenny doll because... well, why not? Got to admit, the Licca dolls have a very cool aesthetic about them.
Pastel cutie with turquoise-blue hair!!! Squeee!!! Heart

I love her!
Cute as a button! Purple, green, turquoise, pink... and a dash of ruby red to tie it all together! Love it!
Such a brightly coloured girl there, love her hair in particular.my favourite shade of turquoise
(04-21-2020, 10:06 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Pastel cutie with turquoise-blue hair!!! Squeee!!! Heart

I love her!

The pastel colours just worked so well with her hair. 

She's definitely a little darling of my collection. I'd like to get another Licca at some point, but I prefer the ones with unusual hair colours and those seem to be priced a little more. 

(04-22-2020, 01:53 PM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]Cute as a button! Purple, green, turquoise, pink... and a dash of ruby red to tie it all together! Love it!

Also the coolest thing? Her top is a dinosaur hoodie. How can you not love it? 

(04-22-2020, 05:00 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]Such a brightly coloured girl there, love her hair in particular.my favourite shade of turquoise

She just really suits these pastel colours. And it is a gorgeous shade, I can see why it would be your favourite. 

- - - 

113. M is for Maudlynne

[Image: 68626597_06bdf7ae5d42b2719a3ea7ae8e1265f6_standard.jpg]

Maudlynne, who hates to have her picture take. I still adore this girl, who was my very first Tonner doll. I still wish the line had taken off more than it actually did,  because I would have loved to have seen her ghost friend Victoria made properly, or some of those fashion packs.

Still Mauds here is still a gorgeous girl. In the Room she's got good friends in China, Hayley, and Matilda, and they all play a lot of games together.
Maudsie (does she hate being called that, like the one living with davidd?) is such an awesome doll. That aloof face of hers is everything!