Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sounds like this fellow lucked out and avoided being raided for his wardrobe... for now.
You don't have to like something, or even be interested in it to like dolls produced out of them smile that happened to me too in the past - I think the best example for me is Hatsune Miku. My knowedge of her meant having seen the leek animation with Värttinä's song added under it, and nothing more - and here I am, with 4 Pullips in the house, out of which 3 are different versions of Hatsune Miku Tongue I have to admit I did a little research when I got interested in her, so I do know a bit more about her franchise not (at this point I think I can safely call Vocaloid that), but I still haven't found a single song I liked. Well, I have to admit I'm not trying very hard, the type of music usually made using the software is not really my cup of tea.

I did spot the BTS dolls' elaborate outfits earlier, but none of them seemed interesting enough for the $50 price tag (converted from local currency) the few that are available locally are going for... especially because those have simpler, colourful suits, not the elaborate outfits the line your doll is from has sly
Thanks for the great comments, guys!

- - -

142. K is for Kira

[Image: 69910308_c76bb8d8c636d2b0103df0b63e55df8f_standard.jpg]

Ah, one of my BMR1959 girls. I really do like this line, and I keep meaning to pick up more from it if I get the chance. Also? Floor length polo neck dresses need to be a thing again.

(Also I swear that wasn't as blurry when I looked at it earlier...)
The fashion style of this line isn't exactly my thing, but the doll themselves are beautiful, and I like that they used MtM bodies for them.
(05-21-2020, 10:47 PM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ](Also I swear that wasn't as blurry when I looked at it earlier...)

Yeah, it's pretty blurry.  Whacked

I've been having this issue, too. It happens a lot on Instagram. The images sometimes become seriously degraded during the upload process. But also, sometimes it is merely a temporary display glitch. It's hard to tell most of the time if it's really an issue with the image, or simply with the display.

I also run in to issue when re-sizing images for posting to the forum. In particular, the text in my photo-stories goes all soft when I resize and upload the pages. I'm pretty sure it's something in my "workflow process," but I haven't yet figured out the underlying problem.

Looks like a pretty face sculpt on this BMR1959 fig. Could just be the artistic soft focus, though. Kinda like in the movies.

Do you find these BMR 1959 figs in stores? I've not seen them in person. But then, Walmart is about the only place I ever look for toys, and they tend to only carry basic playline versions of everything.
Her face is pretty. And yeah, that is a neat outfit on "Jungkook".

(05-21-2020, 05:35 AM)Loona Wrote: [ -> ]You don't have to like something, or even be interested in it to like dolls produced out of them
Ha. Totally. Pullip "Grell" LOL
Less-than-zero interest in the character or the anime.
(Sunsette maintains it was a case of identity theft xp )
(05-21-2020, 11:43 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]The fashion style of this line isn't exactly my thing, but the doll themselves are beautiful, and I like that they used MtM bodies for them.

Honestly the fashions of this line are really out there, even if they are paying homage to early 90s styles, but I really can't help but love them. I mean, it helps that they're really only a couple of pound dearer than a basic MtM. I keep meaning to pick up others in this line... Hopefully I will but I have to buy needed things before that. 

(05-22-2020, 01:26 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, it's pretty blurry.  Whacked 

I've been having this issue, too. It happens a lot on Instagram. The images sometimes become seriously degraded during the upload process. But also, sometimes it is merely a temporary display glitch. It's hard to tell most of the time if it's really an issue with the image, or simply with the display.

I also run in to issue when re-sizing images for posting to the forum. In particular, the text in my photo-stories goes all soft when I resize and upload the pages. I'm pretty sure it's something in my "workflow process," but I haven't yet figured out the underlying problem.

Looks like a pretty face sculpt on this BMR1959 fig. Could just be the artistic soft focus, though. Kinda like in the movies.

Do you find these BMR 1959 figs in stores? I've not seen them in person. But then, Walmart is about the only place I ever look for toys, and they tend to only carry basic playline versions of everything.

I wish I could have worked out what caused this one - it did look super clear on my camera and when I was working on it... Just weird. 

The face sculpt is called Kira and it really is a pretty one. I'm trying to find like ... a list of names and face sculpts for Barbie because people throw these names out and I don't know where they get them. 

So far I've only ever found them on Amazon. I don't know if it's the same all over the place but in the UK, they're only on Amazon. I really like their boxes - it's like shoeboxes. Really fun. 

(05-22-2020, 04:00 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Her face is pretty.  And yeah, that is a neat outfit on "Jungkook".

I do like this face-scuplt. It's a lot softer looking (even IRL) than a lot of current sculpts. 

(Also Sunsette is adorabl and I always forget she started life as a Grell)

- - - 

143. L is for Lolita

[Image: 69955393_8e9f5af7a4f5c95f66ab70a469c72627_standard.jpg]

And that's still a name I cannot get behind and yet I can't think of another one for her. Lolita Sun was an exclusive BeGoth back in the day but I'm not sure where the exclusive was for.  She's the only BeGoth with pink hair and an eye that looks like it needs medical attention though, so there's that... going for her? IDK. She is very pretty.
She's gorgeous! I believe her special eye is the old Japanese Rising Sun Flag, used in Edo period. While the current Japanese flag doesn't have rays, this old one is still used by the army, or at least some part of it. Lolita fahion is another Japanese thing, so I think this beautiful lady might be a sort of tribute to Japan.
Really cool outfit! I like the lace-up front!

Insightful observations by neon_jellyfish. Her conclusions seem to make sense.

From what little I can uncover online, it appears that the "exclusive" aspect involved a tie-in with a toy and action figure review website called figures.com.
The eye is quite striking - even if it looks bloodshot if you look quickly at it.
(05-22-2020, 11:32 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]She's gorgeous! I believe her special eye is the old Japanese Rising Sun Flag, used in Edo period. While the current Japanese flag doesn't have rays, this old one is still used by the army, or at least some part of it. Lolita fahion is another Japanese thing, so I think this beautiful lady might be a sort of tribute to Japan.

I think you are right in regards to what her eye is meant to represent. It still looks horribly bloodshot though. I know of the Lolita fashion styles, but the name is always going to make pause. 

She is a lovely looking doll though - BeGoths were good at pulling out stunning releases. 

(05-23-2020, 01:58 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]Really cool outfit! I like the lace-up front!

Insightful observations by neon_jellyfish. Her conclusions seem to make sense.

From what little I can uncover online, it appears that the "exclusive" aspect involved a tie-in with a toy and action figure review website called figures.com.

The front is just decorative - of course. I would love to see a doll dress for 1/6 that did actually have the opening it looked like it should have. 1/3 scale tends to be a bit better about it. Honestly I would try getting more BeGoths clothing pieces second hand if I could but the dolls are of the old Barbie style with the big busts so it's never really a thing. 

Ahhh... I have never heard of this site. 

(05-23-2020, 01:45 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]The eye is quite striking - even if it looks bloodshot if you look quickly at it.

Oh yeah! Your eye cannot help but be drawn to it. 

- - - 

144. M is for Mouscedes

[Image: 69992714_487e0b9be4159a4116fd13040ed6ccd9_standard.jpg]

A cute little mouse girl! This was her release from the Boo York three pack, and is missing her hair bow thing but still very adorable.
Mouscedes is such a cutie! I still ponder getting her now and then. I just wish there was a non-shimmery version of her. I'd also prefer some other hair color, we had quite a few pink-haired dolls at that point, and while I like pink, I thought that some other colors would deserve a chance, too. Not sure what was Mattel referring to with Rat King. Maybe Nutcracker, but that one's Mouse King (which seems to be a much better fit for her). She certainly doesn't remind me of rat kings in the traditional sense of the term, she's not the least bit sinister, and too mouse-ey, instead of rat-ish.

But I love cute things, too, and she is SUPER cute. I could solve the hair color issue by rerooting and she would simply be a weremouse.

Sorry for the rambling!
Ah, I can see a recurring pink hair-pattern starting up here smile Both Lolita and Mouscedes look cute. Lolita totally reminds me of an actual person I knew (sans the red eye).

(05-24-2020, 12:33 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Mouscedes is such a cutie! I still ponder getting her now and then. I just wish there was a non-shimmery version of her.

I think there is! Her 3-pack version is either significantly less shimmery than the single-packed version, or completely non-shimmery. I do have both of them somewhere, I can try to dig them up and take a comparison photo if that'd be helpful smile
That's actually what makes me unable to make up my mind about which version to keep... on one hand, the shimmer looks cool, on the other hand, I was intending to make her monochrome by rehairing and partially repainting her, and IIRC the shimmer is bluish, definitely not greyscale.
One of the more unusual of the MH releases. Not sure how she really fits in with the "monster" theme. Mattel was definitely stretching the definition of "monster" after a while.
I wonder if there are any other dolls with flag representations in their eyes...?
I guess some people find mice scary as monsters (someone I know). I just find them really bleepin' annoying when they get into my house Rawr!

(05-24-2020, 12:33 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]I could solve the hair color issue by rerooting and she would simply be a weremouse.
That sounds like it could be made into an interesting, or just strange, character concept...