Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Little Mouse Girl is gorgeous and so whimsical.
Shes a cutie, I like her large teeth, which fits into the mouse theme.
(05-24-2020, 12:33 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Mouscedes is such a cutie! I still ponder getting her now and then. I just wish there was a non-shimmery version of her. I'd also prefer some other hair color, we had quite a few pink-haired dolls at that point, and while I like pink, I thought that some other colors would deserve a chance, too. Not sure what was Mattel referring to with Rat King. Maybe Nutcracker, but that one's Mouse King (which seems to be a much better fit for her). She certainly doesn't remind me of rat kings in the traditional sense of the term, she's not the least bit sinister, and too mouse-ey, instead of rat-ish.

But I love cute things, too, and she is SUPER cute. I could solve the hair color issue by rerooting and she would simply be a weremouse.

Sorry for the rambling!

The three pack version is non-shimmery, sort of. She's not as shimmery as the solo release was. Hair colour wise, I'm not sure which I would have preferred. Maybe a silver or a deeper grey? I dont think we had those on any other releases so it would have been more of her things. I think there was at least one urban legend about giant mice in the sewers of New York but that could just be my head reaching to try to find some connection when it's clear they were going more with Nutcracker which really should have put Mouscedes at Ever After High

... Though someone really smart could probably spin some ex.planation about how EAH only accepts certain types of people, habouring this elitism factor that would tie into Apple's sense of Destiny is Always Right but again, I'm just blowing hot air here. 

Ramble away! 

(05-24-2020, 01:44 AM)Loona Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, I can see a recurring pink hair-pattern starting up here smile Both Lolita and Mouscedes look cute. Lolita totally reminds me of an actual person I knew (sans the red eye).

I think there is! Her 3-pack version is either significantly less shimmery than the single-packed version, or completely non-shimmery. I do have both of them somewhere, I can try to dig them up and take a comparison photo if that'd be helpful smile
That's actually what makes me unable to make up my mind about which version to keep... on one hand, the shimmer looks cool, on the other hand, I was intending to make her monochrome by rehairing and partially repainting her, and IIRC the shimmer is bluish, definitely not greyscale.

I would say that at least they both have very different shades of pink as hair, which makes them stand out a bit. Some BeGoths do tend to make me think of people I know (or knew). Well... some of the more low key ones. 

This is the three-pack version of Mouscedes and there is still some shimmer in her, though I would like to see her compared with her solo release to see how much of a difference there is! 

(05-24-2020, 01:49 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]One of the more unusual of the MH releases. Not sure how she really fits in with the "monster" theme. Mattel was definitely stretching the definition of "monster" after a while.

They really were. Once their traditional bank was mostly exhausted, they seemed to be lost... Even though their web-series had a few background or one-off characters that would have made really cool dolls. Or maybe put one of those SDCC releases into a more simple standard release? IDK. It's easy now to sit and go oh this would have been good, or they should have done this, but I' sur it was harder to think up ideas at the time. 

(05-24-2020, 10:41 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if there are any other dolls with flag representations in their eyes...?
I guess some people find mice scary as monsters (someone I know).  I just find them really bleepin' annoying when they get into my house  Rawr!

That I know of, no, but I'm sure they're out there somewhere! There's all sorts of dolls in the world, after all. 

Mice are one of the more common fears so it could be playing on that, that's true...

(05-24-2020, 01:10 PM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]The Little Mouse Girl is gorgeous and so whimsical.

I feel like I need a cheese prop for her. 

(05-24-2020, 01:35 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]Shes a cutie, I like her large teeth, which fits into the mouse theme.

It does create this endearing look to her! 

- - - 

145. N is for Nefera

[Image: 70033231_6c7666ddbe4c9e553986b5eb419a71be_standard.jpg]

I found signature Nefera in a charity shop and snapped her up because yes, fantastic. I think I will need to learn how to fix the elastic of her hips because they're quite loose but she holds a pose well enough. Still a stunning looking girl, though.
Well, that was certainly a fortuitous charity shop find, as your Nefera appears to be intact and in good condition. Nefera was not particularly easy to find even in retail stores, at least where I was living.

She certainly has a regal, and rather elitist, appearance. Mattel did excellent work in the creation of this figure. This "playline" doll is up there in quality with some of their "limited edition collector" releases.
Yay for a great find! I love Nefera to bits, and I'm happy to have her siggy in my collection. BYBY and Scream and Sugar releases were also gorgeous, but they never reached the same level of aristocratic classiness. I never cared about the character, she's a one-dimensional plot device, but her dolls are just stunning!

2012 was such a great year for MH. Major nostalgic sigh.

(05-24-2020, 01:44 AM)Loona Wrote: [ -> ]I think there is! Her 3-pack version is either significantly less shimmery than the single-packed version, or completely non-shimmery. I do have both of them somewhere, I can try to dig them up and take a comparison photo if that'd be helpful smile
That's actually what makes me unable to make up my mind about which version to keep... on one hand, the shimmer looks cool, on the other hand, I was intending to make her monochrome by rehairing and partially repainting her, and IIRC the shimmer is bluish, definitely not greyscale.

I'm not planning to get her anytime soon, but I'd still love to see a comparison, if it wouldn't bother you...
(05-25-2020, 01:44 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]Well, that was certainly a fortuitous charity shop find, as your Nefera appears to be intact and in good condition. Nefera was not particularly easy to find even in retail stores, at least where I was living.

She certainly has a regal, and rather elitist, appearance. Mattel did excellent work in the creation of this figure. This "playline" doll is up there in quality with some of their "limited edition collector" releases.

I was genuinely amazed when I found her and immediately had to snap her up because... well, you don't come across that every day. She wasn't easy to find here, even when she was on general sale, so it was very much a thing of YES SHE'S MINE. I find her appearance to be perfectly in keeping with that character they gave her and ... well I don't know if she'll remain so one note here. I know she's had a brief cameo in the Room but I think she may be coming into things more sooner or later...

Maybe anyway. If I work out my storylines.

(05-25-2020, 03:51 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Yay for a great find! I love Nefera to bits, and I'm happy to have her siggy in my collection. BYBY and Scream and Sugar releases were also gorgeous, but they never reached the same level of aristocratic classiness. I never cared about the character, she's a one-dimensional plot device, but her dolls are just stunning!

2012 was such a great year for MH. Major nostalgic sigh.

I would have loved to have gotten the Scream and Sugar release because I did find that version really nice? 

I miss Monster High - there was talk of a collector line launching this year but I suspect that was going to be an SDCC thing and... yeah. 

- - - 

Side note: it is about 20 past 7 in the morning as I am writing this post, and I am operating on no sleep whatsoever. I'm in the middle of changing to new meds and it's really messing up my sleeping patterns. I just sort of said bugger it and opted to stay up this morning, so we'll see if I crash at any point today or if I manage to make it to at least 9 tonight before I slink off for a sleep. 

- - - 

146. O is for Operetta

[Image: 70063558_3bf0ba986d9edf1dc1fefbd811caa103_standard.jpg]

One of the more stylish ghouls of Monster High, in my opinion. This is the... Picture Day release, I believe. In the Room? Operetta is actually fairly chilled out, her only real issue comes from her choice of paramour, Nikolai Vladimir Dracula, and the fact he's trying not to sink his fangs into it. Inuendo not intended. We think.
Nefera is a great doll - not an interesting character really, but the gold & teal are a great colour combo.

Operetta is also an under appreciated character, I like this one with the touches of purple.

Good luck with the meds - hope they stabilise soon & you get back to regular sleeping soon.
Yes, that's the Picture Day release.

I wasn't interested in Oppie for the longest time, her character is great, but the photos I saw on internet didn't make her look like a doll I must own, plus she's got a lot of red going on. But when I was doing my first ADAD in 2018, one of the MHA members who also joined for a bit was posting a lot of awesome Oppie pics and totally enabled me to get one, my Killer Style. While I generally love red hair (although I really prefer more natural shades), for some reason, I don't like it on Operetta. I think it's the combination of that particular shade of red with that particular shade of lilac. But other than that, she's gorgeous and I'm glad I have her. Might reroot her at some point.

The collector MH dolls were supposed to be SDCC releases of MH version of Pennywise from It and the Grady twins from The Shining. At first it seemed like a hoax, and then they got completely cancelled shortly after being confirmed as genuine (it happened around the same time as SDCC cancellation), so I didn't even post about it here, because it's just sad. When Mattel previously decided not to feature MH at SDCC, they turned the SDCC exclusives into Mattel Shop exclusives (that was the fabulous Origins 2pack), so I thought they'd do the same with these dolls. But there may have been additional issues with production, due to the whole pandemic mess.

I really hope your meds will start working as intended soon and that you'll be able to get some healthy sleep in! Hang in there!
The bright red hair with the black streak is dramatically awesome! And her letterman style jacket is a fun retro high school element of Operetta's wardrobe, coordinating nicely with the 1950s style skirt.
Both have cool colour schemes. Ah, I never get that lucky at thrift stores. (OK, wait, Victor who is sprawled on the back of the couch is grumbling in my ear, nevermind... LOL )
Hope the meds smooth out. I've considered "just staying up" some mornings too but because I'm just such an incurable night owl.
(05-25-2020, 05:27 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]Nefera is a great doll - not an interesting character really, but the gold & teal are a great colour combo.

Operetta is also an under appreciated character, I like this one with the touches of purple.

Nefera's character is grest for creating drama but they never did get around to rounding her out. Granted, she could have just been shallow as a puddle but who knows?

It feels like there were a lot of Operetta releases, but I could be wrong...

(05-25-2020, 06:57 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, that's the Picture Day release.

I wasn't interested in Oppie for the longest time, her character is great, but the photos I saw on internet didn't make her look like a doll I must own, plus she's got a lot of red going on. But when I was doing my first ADAD in 2018, one of the MHA members who also joined for a bit was posting a lot of awesome Oppie pics and totally enabled me to get one, my Killer Style. While I generally love red hair (although I really prefer more natural shades), for some reason, I don't like it on Operetta. I think it's the combination of that particular shade of red with that particular shade of lilac. But other than that, she's gorgeous and I'm glad I have her. Might reroot her at some point.

The collector MH dolls were supposed to be SDCC releases of MH version of Pennywise from It and the Grady twins from The Shining. At first it seemed like a hoax, and then they got completely cancelled shortly after being confirmed as genuine (it happened around the same time as SDCC cancellation), so I didn't even post about it here, because it's just sad. When Mattel previously decided not to feature MH at SDCC, they turned the SDCC exclusives into Mattel Shop exclusives (that was the fabulous Origins 2pack), so I thought they'd do the same with these dolls. But there may have been additional issues with production, due to the whole pandemic mess.

I admit, Operetta probably appealed to me purely on my enjoyment of Gothic media and wanting to see how MH would have adapted the daughter of the Phantom of the Opera... I'm still a little annoyed she never got a cape for purposes of adding drama to her poses, but she's still a stunning doll. This particular shade of red is not my favourite, but I do like the shade of lilac she is. Plus that molding for her scar... Brilliant.

Oh. I am now curious as to whether anyone has seen concept art sketches or not. As much as I would prefer no Pennywise, it does bring it back to the idea of the line being kids of movie monsters, so there's a level of curiosity about it all. If this new collector line gets revived and it is based more on kids of movie monsters that aren't in the public domain? I want a kid of Beetlejuice. 

(05-26-2020, 09:06 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]The bright red hair with the black streak is dramatically awesome! And her letterman style jacket is a fun retro high school element of Operetta's wardrobe, coordinating nicely with the 1950s style skirt.

I know they said Operetta's style was rockabilly, but I see her more as psychobilly - stuff like The Horrorpops. It was still a pretty unqiue vibe for her in the cast of MH though.

(05-26-2020, 11:14 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Both have cool colour schemes.  Ah, I never get that lucky at thrift stores.  (OK, wait, Victor who is sprawled on the back of the couch is grumbling in my ear, nevermind... LOL )

Victor is a pretty amazing find! I think thrift stores are honestly about timing. At times of years people seem to be doing clear outs, you get more decent things. 

- - - 

Did actually sleep last night! Meds switch on Thursday, so we'll see what happens then

- - - 

147. P is for Pinkie

[Image: 70118716_8eed52783738466fd3721e5086580e21_standard.jpg]

The most ex.perienced of the JET SET spies, Pinkie prefers a 60s vibe to her every day clothing. Learning the fashion styles of each country is important for someone who does a lot of undercover work. They're still trying to work out who R.T. is...
She's a cutie!
LOL R.T., I love it!

No concept arts for the SDCC MH dolls leaked, only names of listings. Maybe it's for the better, I'd only end up disappointed. I'd be interested in Grady twins.

Beetlejuice kids would be amazeballs! I'd want siblings, a boy and a girl.
And Addams Family. I know they're not exactly monsters or horror characters, but then, they also kinda are... Grandmama (MH hag with slightly crooked back, gimme gimme gimme!) and the assorted gentlemen would require new bodyshapes, so it wouldn't happen even if MH did come back to unlife, but I still think it would be fricken awesome.
Pinky's look is totally fab! Gear, even!
Aw, she's cute!
Noted, I'll try to dig up the mice from their holes, and when I get there, I'll snap a shimmer comparison picture for you smile

Ah, Pinkie is darling! The whole Pinkie Cooper line is - it's a shame they were so short-lived, especially considering some of the leeked promotion pictures of lines that were never made (I found the swimsuit line super cute). The line never made it to my country, but I liked them enough that I ordered them from the UK. Pepper is my personal favourite, but they look best displayed together. That said, mine are sadly not displayed at all, nor do I spend much time with them - that should totally change...