Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Interesting shelf, and certainly tidier than some of my shelves. Fun to see so many of the group together.
Invisi-billy does look like a nice sculpt.
(06-20-2020, 10:02 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Tidy shelves are nice and practical, but this has a wonderful 'Room' feel to it!

A wonderful Room feel is great, but I would like to be able to get to my books, LOL! 

(06-21-2020, 02:19 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]It certainly looks like a fun shelf to explore!

Maybe I should do that as a series of photos... use little Yotsuba as the ex.plorer... Hm...

(06-21-2020, 03:27 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting shelf, and certainly tidier than some of my shelves. Fun to see so many of the group together.
Invisi-billy does look like a nice sculpt.

Good thing I cut out the top, which is a total mess. 
He does have a nice sculpt, yeah. 

- - - 

173. K is for Kamikaze Girls

[Image: 71256993_67fc7194262df7d2b956f5e64362357d_standard.jpg]

My dear Momoko Ryugasaki shows off the source of inspiration for her name.  The novel was originally written by Novala Takemoto, and was translated to English by Viz Media.  The film came out in 2004 in Japan, 2006 in the US/UK. The story is centered around the friendship between a Lolita girl - Momoko - and a deliquent girl - who I will find a perfect doll version of one day. I do recommend at least checking out the film, it's very entertaining.
I now feel like I need a sukeban in my collection.

Maybe I'll be to able to sew something (note to self - AFTER I finish all the WIP projects).
Oh, if these are messy shelves, ours are a total disaster zone.

The only one which is slightly acceptable is the one in the backdrop on my home office. And even that one has bears & Itty Bitty dolls in sight. Surrounded by books of course.
The Kamikaze Girls Momoko is cute as can be!

2004 for the movie... so, like, a long time ago now. Almost twenty years.

Wasn't the fashion trend initially called EGL: Elegant Gothic Lolita? I'm going by memory here, rather than looking it up. Then it started being called Loli-goth for short. Or are/were EGL and Loli-goth different than straight Lolita fashion? It seems like ages and ages ago... back in the Pinky Street forum days... that I actually knew a little bit about this stuff.

I wonder what the youth street fashion trends are in Japan these days? Japan is known for rabidly adopting trends and fads with lightning-like speed, then just as quickly abandoning them. Since EGL/Loli-goth/Lolita was on-trend almost twenty years ago, I suppose the teens and twenty-somethings could be re-adopting it in a nostalgic or hipster-ironic version. NEGL: Neo Elegant Gothic Lolita?

Whatever. I'm just rambling.
(06-21-2020, 11:56 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]I now feel like I need a sukeban in my collection.

Maybe I'll be to able to sew something (note to self - AFTER I finish all the WIP projects).

I would genuinely love to make a sukeban doll. I think I'll need to make one as well. I recently came across some videos on YouTube talking about some sukeban anime and dramas and I'm wishing it was still a thing in pop culture. Badass girls kicking butt and wearing long skirts to do it. In theory, it should be easier to do it for Olivia but pleats on skirts... uuugh.

(06-22-2020, 01:23 AM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, if these are messy shelves, ours are a total disaster zone.

The only one which is slightly acceptable is the one in the backdrop on my home office.  And even that one has bears & Itty Bitty dolls in sight.  Surrounded by books of course.

The top of the shelves is cut off, which is where the worst of the mess is. 

Books are fantastic to be surrounded by! 

(06-22-2020, 05:03 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]The Kamikaze Girls Momoko is cute as can be!

2004 for the movie... so, like, a long time ago now. Almost twenty years.

Wasn't the fashion trend initially called EGL: Elegant Gothic Lolita? I'm going by memory here, rather than looking it up. Then it started being called Loli-goth for short. Or are/were EGL and Loli-goth different than straight Lolita fashion? It seems like ages and ages ago... back in the Pinky Street forum days... that I actually knew a little bit about this stuff. 

I wonder what the youth street fashion trends are in Japan these days? Japan is known for rabidly adopting trends and fads with lightning-like speed, then just as quickly abandoning them. Since EGL/Loli-goth/Lolita was on-trend almost twenty years ago, I suppose the teens and twenty-somethings could be re-adopting it in a nostalgic or hipster-ironic version. NEGL: Neo Elegant Gothic Lolita?

Whatever. I'm just rambling.

Okay, so EGL was a variation of the lolita style that was more gothic influenced. There's a few variations, from what I can tell. I found this on the V&A website and thought anyone here might find it helpful. It looks at a few of the variations and the biggest designers for each: Lolita Fashion: Japanese Street Style

As for whether it's still popular... The answer is ... maybe? I did some research into youth street fashion and it seems like since the rise of stores like H&M and Forever 21 in Japan, that street style has been fading in favour of fast fashion, but there's still variations that pop up here and there. So ... maybe seems to be the only answer I can give in regards to it. 

- - - 

174. L is for Lucrezia

[Image: 71298896_9233c94a6365aa6b7640a0a2e98b5266_standard.jpg]

The second eldest daughter of Dracula, and the one who decided to run away and hide her identity. Of course, she did it by calling herself Draculaura which... Maybe not the best idea out there?
"Draculaura" was my favorite Monster High character name. It is so simple, so obvious, so perfect... but I'd never seen it anywhere before. Just add three letters to Dracula and you have... a simple, classic girl's name!

But yeah, your Lucrezia changing her name to "Draculaura" to go incognito is right up there with the Lon Chaney, Jr. character in Son of Dracula (1943) hiding behind the appellation of Count Alucard.

Lucrezia's personal fashion statement here seems to be strongly influenced by the hime-gyaru trend, which... is now pretty much extinct, and was even on the wane by the early 2000s. By the time American toy companies adopt something in an attempt to appear current, you know it's already obsolete.

I totes cheated in identifying this fashion hodge-podge, having used this scholarly street fashion timeline analysis as a starting point:
https://file.scirp.org/pdf/AASoci2012040...494934.pdf

(Although, yesterday I became curious about "current" Japanese street fashion, as of 2019-2020, and from what I could find, it appears that Mattel's BMR1959 Barbie line is actually a close approximation of current trends.)
Forbitten Love 2pack was awesome. I would prefer for Lala to have a little less yellow and a little more black, but this release of Clawd was the best one he ever got.
That was the thing with this release of Draculaura - is she th3 only one with yellow? It’s not a colour that I really associate with her at all.
(06-23-2020, 02:23 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]"Draculaura" was my favorite Monster High character name. It is so simple, so obvious, so perfect... but I'd never seen it anywhere before. Just add three letters to Dracula and you have... a simple, classic girl's name!

But yeah, your Lucrezia changing her name to "Draculaura" to go incognito is right up there with the Lon Chaney, Jr. character in Son of Dracula (1943) hiding behind the appellation of Count Alucard.

Lucrezia's personal fashion statement here seems to be strongly influenced by the hime-gyaru trend, which... is now pretty much extinct, and was even on the wane by the early 2000s. By the time American toy companies adopt something in an attempt to appear current, you know it's already obsolete.

I totes cheated in identifying this fashion hodge-podge, having used this scholarly street fashion timeline analysis as a starting point:
https://file.scirp.org/pdf/AASoci2012040...494934.pdf

(Although, yesterday I became curious about "current" Japanese street fashion, as of 2019-2020, and from what I could find, it appears that Mattel's BMR1959 Barbie line is actually a close approximation of current trends.)

Ha! Actually, the Alucard as a way to hide was exactly my thought when I said Lucrezia hide herself by calling her Draculaura! It's been used a lot since Lon Chaney Jr's character. I don't think I know how many exactly have done it... I know Castlevania and Hellsing are among the most popular variations of it. 

Also thank you! I had thought this particular fashion was playing on Lolita again, as Draculaura in general tends to have shades of that in her fashion choices, but it's nice to know the specific fashion. And somehow I'm not surprised that street fashion is a Japanese trend. ... I still really like the 90s vibe of it all. 

(06-23-2020, 02:26 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Forbitten Love 2pack was awesome. I would prefer for Lala to have a little less yellow and a little more black, but this release of Clawd was the best one he ever got.

I have to agree on that. Definitely one of my favourite releases. 

(06-23-2020, 06:43 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]That was the thing with this release of Draculaura - is she th3 only one with yellow?  It’s not a colour that I really associate with her at all.

See, it's not a colour I think of for Draculaura, but apparently a few releases did use a good bit of yellow. 

- - - 

175. M is for Maddie

[Image: 71346935_3b1ff3aa4f4d882fdf3acc44d5f281e5_standard.jpg]

She's a little teapot, short and stout, there is her handle, there is her spout...

It's the top selling song of all time in Wonderland, apparently. The Teapot is a dance that swept the nation
It’s the best dance!

Maddie is my favourite EAH character.  She’s actually the one that started me on the dolly-collecting thing as an adult.
When she gets steamed up, I'm sure she'll shout! And if you tip her over... havoc will ensue!

This is gonna be some tea party!
A cute trio. Maybe not the name, but the outfit, would probably help hide Draculaura's identity...
Maddie has always been my favourite EAH doll.
I love Maddie, she's my #1.5, #1 being Raven. But Maddie is really close. I love Wonderland and anything and everything mad, and I think Mattel did a great job on Maddie. She's the best kind of crazy.