Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(07-31-2020, 01:09 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Aww, such a sweet face! I like the patchwork effect, it's a lot like old bears that were home-made using whatever scraps that were available at the moment.

That's what I really like about the patchwork effect as well! 

(07-31-2020, 04:56 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like they can’t decide between a hug and a fight. Maybe they should go hug Raggle instead; he(?) looks a little sad.

He really does look a bit sad in that picture, which is unusual. Usually seems quite a happy sort. 

(07-31-2020, 09:27 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]Cute ex-pression, like he's saying "feed me."

Bears... you're never done feeding them.

(07-31-2020, 03:59 PM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]He has the appearance of different types of bear. The face is very polar, but the body is more brown bear.

But is all very cuddly! 

- - - 

213. S is for Spectra

[Image: 72932732_3556a9f6c86994cb4b59fa58b128ffb1_standard.jpg]

A gorgeous ghost girl. There's just something very stunning about first release Spectra. Around here? She is actually a part time model.
Spectra was a great release! Her cheekbones were sharp enough to cut smile

Patchwork bear is such a great one, love all the different colours on him.
Spectra HeartHeartHeart

Replacing Spectra with Ari was one of things that made me loath the reboot. Fun fact! Spectra was a source of much dismay due to her cheekbones, and soccer moms decided something must be done about it! They complained and Mattel commanded MH team to give Spectra fuller face. However, after the storm passed, the team secretely re-introduced the old sculpt, and no one noticed! I don't have enough info in this, so I don't know which Spectra's releases have which sculpt, I'm pretty sure the new one happened around 2013, I have four Spectras, one of them has the new sculpt. Then it became a mess, because some factories kept using the new sculpt and some switched back to the old one, I do recall differences between dolls made in Indonesia and China, but I can't name any specific releases.
Part-time model; you mean, the part of the time that she chooses to become visible?

That is quite interesting... and depressing... backstory, neon. It was so sad how much wrath came down on Monster High once the line became popular.
It’s interesting the backstory and kind of sad that PC got in the way of playing.
(07-31-2020, 09:42 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]Spectra was a great release!  Her cheekbones were sharp enough to cut smile

Patchwork bear is such a great one, love all the different colours on him.

They really were such sharp cheekbones. 

I really love patchwork as a general look for bears. It just comes across really nicely?

(08-01-2020, 02:02 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Spectra HeartHeartHeart

Replacing Spectra with Ari was one of things that made me loath the reboot. Fun fact! Spectra was a source of much dismay due to her cheekbones, and soccer moms decided something must be done about it! They complained and Mattel commanded MH team to give Spectra fuller face. However, after the storm passed, the team secretely re-introduced the old sculpt, and no one noticed! I don't have enough info in this, so I don't know which Spectra's releases have which sculpt, I'm pretty sure the new one happened around 2013, I have four Spectras, one of them has the new sculpt. Then it became a mess, because some factories kept using the new sculpt and some switched back to the old one, I do recall differences between dolls made in Indonesia and China, but I can't name any specific releases.

See, I never got a lot of the fuss about the dolls. "They look too scary" ... yeah, that's the point. They're monsters, they should look scary. On the other hand if the argument was she looks too old to be a high schooler ... I'd need to agree. Spectra is fabulous, but with the cheekbones she does look a lot older than the others. It is a stunning sculpt though so I can see why the team would want to continue using it. 

(08-01-2020, 03:44 PM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]Part-time model; you mean, the part of the time that she chooses to become visible?

Oh, that too! Tongue

(08-01-2020, 04:49 PM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]It’s interesting the backstory and kind of sad that PC got in the way of playing.

I think it's less PC and more people over-reacting to what they saw as being unsuitable. 

- - - 

214. T is for Tiana

[Image: 72973764_7106ec68107905e125cc6874ca3e3d09_standard.jpg]

Who is honestly the cutest in Disney Animator form. Like, seriously,  she's adorable. Considering the Animator line is basically heavy on the make them super cute... That's saying something.
She is adorable! I never see many Tiana dolls around, just piles and piles of Elsa.
Cute little thing!

I've only seen bits and pieces of the movie, and it didn't really grab me, but some of the character designs are very nice, and this re-imagined character design is marvelously realized.
Cute. Never seen that movie either.
Are Spectra's feet transparent too?
Funny that people complain about dolls being "too scary", when you look at the stuff that gets into movies & TV...
She is a real little cutie. And neon’s right, you don’t see a lot of Tiana’s,
(08-01-2020, 11:38 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]She is adorable! I never see many Tiana dolls around, just piles and piles of Elsa.

Elsa really is the dominant force of the princesses. I kind of wonder if her popularity has been overstated though...

(08-02-2020, 09:18 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]Cute little thing!

I've only seen bits and pieces of the movie, and it didn't really grab me, but some of the character designs are very nice, and this re-imagined character design is marvelously realized.

It is a good movie, though admittedly I could be extra fond of it because it's one of the last one done in traditional 2D animation. I do love this this design keeps the house style, but is very clearly a younger version. The animators collection is just fantastically done. 

(08-02-2020, 04:04 PM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Cute.  Never seen that movie either.
Are Spectra's feet transparent too?
Funny that people complain about dolls being "too scary", when you look at the stuff that gets into movies & TV...

I think you'd enjoy it 

I genuinely cannot recall if Spectra's feet are transparent - I'll look her out and tell you! Oh seriously, a bit of fear is good. 

(08-02-2020, 04:27 PM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]She is a real little cutie. And neon’s right, you don’t see a lot of Tiana’s,

I would genuinely love to see more Tiana dolls. 

- - - 

215. U is for Unwilling Hero

[Image: 73007966_f2e7f9b234398e4ff6227486c1884244_standard.jpg]

Susan Sto Helit! The Duchess of Sto Helit turned school teacher who does not think very much of heroes at all. Unfortunately, the call knows where she lives and due to her being related to Death but not technically bound to the same rules as the anthropromorphic personification of mortality, she's often roped in to play the hero role.
She is adorable, as is her little silky frog stuffy <3

How did I manage to comment on Tiana and totally miss Susan!? grin

Who is fabulous, I love how haughty she looks!
Marvellous custom!!!!!!! (just imagine a really long row of exclamation marks here)

If there was an official line of Discworld dolls, I'd be doomed! But in a good way!

As for Spectra's feet - yes, they are transparent, her siggy and some other releases also have transparent shoes to boost the ghost effect.
Susan looks awesome! I love her cool, distanced attitude and her ensemble!

I don't think I've ever seen this animator version of Tiana. Which is a shame because she is adorable indeed!

I also never understood all the fuss about Spectra's head mold... she is a ghost, she is a monster, how else would she look than scary? I think she is very well put together as a character and a doll (very much unlike Ari). So much thought went into her, at times resulting in outcomes I wish Mattel used more often also on other dolls - like the several hand molds she had to accompany her actual release's outfit. I think Spectra wins the contest of MH dolls released with the most different pairs of hands.
Is that a Pullip dress she's wearing?