Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(10-22-2020, 07:11 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]I think that a huge appeal of being a pirate is that anybody can look good as one. Little black dress and pirate costume - they never let a girl down (not sure about men's alternatives for little black dress, but pirate costumes are a must).

To quote a Disney Tinkerbell movie, The Pirate Fairy: "Gotta love the boots!" That's the key to a pirate wardrobe: the boots!

[Image: october22.jpg]
22 October – The Imps of the Perverse, Ellen and Peony, showcase a Canon EOS 80D DSLR camera

What they're actually thinking is: "Why the h*ll are you taking pictures of the d*mned camera rather than with the d*mned camera?"
Echoing others that Raven looks great as a pirate.

A new camera the imps are showing off?
Still think those are ridiculously cool figures. And the camera looks brilliant too!
They do look like they're trying to threaten encourage you to start using it...
(10-23-2020, 06:12 PM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Still think those are ridiculously cool figures. And the camera looks brilliant too!

They are ridiculously cool figures! The first 1/12 scale seamless figure I purchased a couple of years ago was such a disappointment that I gave it away. Not being one to learn a lesson the first time around, I purchased these a year or so later, and was pleased to discover that the quality had improved quite substantially. The figures feel more robust rather than fragile, the texture is not as creepily sticky and gooey, and they hold poses quite well.

Unfortunately, the appear to be out of production already, and secondary market prices are now higher than original retail by 50% or more.

[Image: october23.jpg]
23 October – "I was working in my lab late one night...."

Sadly, I must report that Rallee Radmore is no more, along with her Wild Hearts Crew friends. The line is nowhere to be seen on the toy aisle shelves in Walmart stores, where they were an exclusive product. At the moment the Wild Hearts Crew figures are still available on the Walmart.com retail website at a reduced price ($7 USD to $11.95 USD depending on the character).
Another dolly-line death. They were a fun idea, but dolly-lines in general don’t seem to have much longevity any more.
Dolls, like most toys, go through cycles. The ones that last are evergreens like Barbie, because she can be morphed into any interest of the time, and teddy bears, because who doesn’t love a cuddly bear?
Thought you were going to say they "were no more" because something happened in the "lab" and they got killed broken. And then, that you had decided to give them away or sell them. Hopefully someone somewhere will enjoy getting them for $7.
The imp girls' photo reminds me of the time I was kicking and screaming against digital because I love film... I'd have found it appropriate for all the people who were telling me I "had to" go digital. I still love film & wish I could get it developed; I do miss my lovely K1000.

Are you familiar with Cozy Classics? Your lab & dungeon settings came to mind today, as on their Facebook they've begun a series of behind-the-scenes shots of all their Star Wars books. It's so cool to see how they put their sets together -- you might enjoy them.
And, their photography & sets are just fabulous -- so much work in them!
Ralle looks like a fantastic mad scientist. Sad to hear another line is dead.
...when my eyes beheld an eerie sight
For the Wild Hearts Crew dolls out off shelves were knocked
And suddenly, to no one's shock

There was no mash...

OK sorry, couldn't help myself, Monster Mash is a beloved classic in this haunted dollhousehold.

Dr. Radmore looks as rad as ever, even if the line was discontinued. Sad to see that (the discontinuation, not the rad doctor, I'm glad to see her), but not surprised. It felt as if Mattel didn't even want the line to be successful, what with the non-existent marketing, making the line store-exclusive, and so on, and so forth.
(10-24-2020, 10:52 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]The imp girls' photo reminds me of the time I was kicking and screaming against digital because I love film... I'd have found it appropriate for all the people who were telling me I "had to" go digital.  I still love film & wish I could get it developed; I do miss my lovely K1000.

Two of the more interesting accounts I follow on Instagram are @donfroula and @jenniferfroulaweber. They are both fans of film photography, they restore and use vintage film cameras, and they process their own film, both black and white and color. They also do tintype and other antique wet plate photography.

(10-24-2020, 04:30 PM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Ralle looks like a fantastic mad scientist. 

I think Mattel could have made this line much more exciting than it was. I really think they gave up on it before it was even released.
I think they also finally figured out that the demand for "different body types" in playline dolls was a fad among parents who weren't going to buy dolls for their kids in the first place. Plus, making the line a single store exclusive was a marketing fail.

(10-24-2020, 06:48 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]...when my eyes beheld an eerie sight
For the Wild Hearts Crew dolls out off shelves were knocked
And suddenly, to no one's shock

There was no mash...

OK sorry, couldn't help myself, Monster Mash is a beloved classic in this haunted dollhousehold.

Love it! I've been fascinated by this song since I first heard it when I was a little kid.

[Image: october24.jpg]
24 October – Monster High Venus McFlytrap, Ghoul Spirit Version
Daughter of the Plant Monster... but we've already been through all that
Nice portrait - I like her book/folder she's holding, very seasonal appropriate.
I wish I had catacombs or a dungeon where I could enjoy my Halloween reading. And look freaky fab while doing so...
Venus looks ready to have some peace and quiet to read by.
(10-25-2020, 05:43 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]I wish I had catacombs or a dungeon where I could enjoy my Halloween reading. And look freaky fab while doing so...

For some reason this comment makes me think: torches! We need wall sconces with flaming torches! Now, how to do that?