Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ahhh, interesting to know about the bodies

Also: all the puns, I am slayed.
I wanted to come up with something for the harpy part of her heritage, but couldn't think of anything.
(10-30-2020, 09:25 PM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Also: all the puns, I am slayed.

Would that be one-horse open slayed?
(10-31-2020, 02:50 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-30-2020, 09:25 PM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Also: all the puns, I am slayed.

Would that be one-horse open slayed?

I think this might be the worst (best) of the lot! LOL LOL
[Image: october30.jpg]
30 October – Dolly diorama - Work in Progress

Finally getting started on the "mad science laboratory" diorama that was the Number One Priority Project on my 2020 dolly goals list:

The likelihood of it getting finished is remote. The likelihood of it going beyond what you see here is almost as remote.

The project is looking or will look nothing like the designs upon which it was theoretically to be based.

Do a few pieces of styrofoam (or a combination of extruded and ex-panded polystyrene, for those of you not in the States) glued together and painted count for A Doll A Day? Because it's not a doll, is it?

Sure it is. It's a miniature room or house. So it's a doll version of a house. And dolls will live in it when if it is finished. So I'm saying it counts. You may deem otherwise, but that's okay, because this year has an extra day. A "mulligan" day, to borrow a golfing term.

Sweatdrop

Okay, I can't even buy that ex-planation, myself. Carly, can you help me out here?

[Image: october30b.jpg]
30 October – Yay Carly! Looking about as scary as Carly can manage.
Carly is just so dang cute and cheerful.
That "lab" looks like it's going to be fantastic! If I wasn't already swamped with Stuff To Do, this would make me want to ransack the packing materials for styrofoam pieces to build... well... something.
This is the kind of stuff "Cozy Classics" does -- their behind-the-scenes series is so neat. Lots of styrofoam, cardboard, & hardware junk.
Fab lab!

I also chucked my shenanigary wishlist, and made a new one - 'Shenanigary Wishlist 2.0 - SURVIVE THIS STUPID YEAR!'

Carly is just so sweet and positive...
My making props hasn't gone very well at all. I was able to source new seats for my BJDs, but that's it. Your lab is looking really fantastic.

Ah, Carly, always here with a smile.
It’s still going to be a great lab once it’s done. I’m constantly amazed by the sets & details of the things you make out of “junk”.

I think pretty much everyone’s plans for 2020 haven’t worked out at all, you’re hardly alone in that.

Forever Cheerful Carly will brighten any situation.
Carly just can’t do scary, but that’s okay, everyone loves her being cheerful.
(10-31-2020, 07:55 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]I also chucked my shenanigary wishlist, and made a new one - 'Shenanigary Wishlist 2.0 - SURVIVE THIS STUPID YEAR!'

Next year isn't looking much better at this point, is it?   slash

[Image: october31.jpg]
31 October – Midnight Snack

After another long, tough Halloween season doing the usual Halloween stuff, Vampirella is more than ready to dive in to the last slice of carrot cake.
Yum. That's a cute set too.
--The background!! Tongue
This is such a great looking set. I love how good all the props look. Hope she enjoyed her cake.
LOL

Vampirella and the carrot cake! That's so sweet! I'm not familiar with the character (aside from knowing she exists), is that canon or just a Dungeon thing?
(11-01-2020, 11:56 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not familiar with the character (aside from knowing she exists), is that canon or just a Dungeon thing?

To the best of my knowledge, Vampi's fondess for carrot cake is just a Dungeon thing.

This year marks the 50th anniversary of Vampirella, a character co-created by writer Forrest J. Ackerman and artists Trina Robbins and Frank Frazetta. Yes, Vampi's iconic costume design was created by a woman.

My experience with the character largely consists of seeing advertisements in comic books when I was a little kid for the Vampirella magazine. Here was this nearly-naked woman in ads in comic books advertising what I kind of assumed was basically something on par with Playboy. I always made sure to flip to a different page in the comic book if my mom was in the room.

I've still never seen a Vampirella magazine. I believe it was essentially a horror anthology comic, probably not much different than any other scary comic book, other than featuring story intros by the nearly-naked vampire woman.

In the early 2000s Vampirella saw a brief "manga style" revamp (ha!) in a comic book series called Vampi.

Decades ago, the Aurora Plastics Company released a plastic model kit of Vampirella, along with the Frankenstein Monster, a mad scientist, and a "girl victim," plus an assortment of torture devices. Because, yeah, toys used to be cool. While I never owned any of the Aurora Monster Scenes models, I'm pretty sure that those advertisements in comic books (usually old comic books purchased used or picked up free) are one of the primary influences on Life in The Dollie Dungeon.

Here's an image link to an old Aurora advertisement: http://www.puuikibeach.com/images/vampirella_ad.jpg

Unfortunately, today's last-minute snapshot lacks any of the lurid allure of Vampirella, horror comics, or... Monster High.

[Image: november1.jpg]
1 November – Hula Doll Randomness

Looks like I need to make some repairs to the trim on the Smart Doll sofa.

Tomorrow's post is gonna be another quickie, because I have to go to the dentist. But after that, I wanna make the rest of gloomy November more fun. 'Kay? 'Kay!