Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(02-14-2020, 04:26 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]I find those Olaf plushies oddly disturbing

I find all the figures on that bottom shelf disturbing. I considered mentioning that in the caption, so I'm glad you mentioned it and I'm not alone in my reaction.

(02-14-2020, 04:56 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Were you tempted (or did you get) any of them?
. . .
Janie would fit right in here at repair time, when the air is often blue... LOL

Not even remotely tempted.

It would have been more appropriate to make that particular text blue instead of red, but after trying it, I thought red worked better visually.
Sometimes decision-making can be a challenge when there is a conflict between visual aesthetic and thematic symbolism.
yay
There is way too much Frozen stuff... I get that it ridiculously popular but you can't help but look at spaces like that and wonder how it's managed to keep such a stranglehold on the market.
It’s similar with books, too. Once something becomes popular the shelves are saturated with things by that author and other related works. On that I saw Game of Thrones themed Johnny Walker today!
14 February – A Doll A Day 2020:

[Image: sd6.jpg]

[Image: sd7.jpg]

[Image: sd8.jpg]

[Image: sd9.jpg]
Triv is rather literal.
Wait, she hasn't seen the house? Poor girl isn't living in a shed, is she? Or is there another house??
They're taking over the main house. That's what all dolls do. LOL
Aw, Triv. Bless her. Also the room is looking great
The room is looking great, and poor Triv being confused as to what is happening around her in regards to the room / house
(02-15-2020, 01:50 PM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]Triv is rather literal.

She takes after the Ameliæ. It would seem their influence is spreading.

(02-15-2020, 02:36 PM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Wait, she hasn't seen the house?  Poor girl isn't living in a shed, is she?  Or is there another house??

The Smart Dolls live in a nebulous "space in between spaces" that could most accurately be described as being akin to... a canvas bag.  Whacked

(02-15-2020, 08:17 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]They're taking over the main house. That's what all dolls do. LOL

Yeah, it's a lot like Plants vs Zombies.

[Image: february15.jpg]
15 February – "Aw, man! This sucks!"

The "Masterpiece Edition" reproduction GI Joe figures from the late-1990s are somewhat notorious in collecting circles for having been made of a substandard grade of plastic that is prone to becoming brittle with age.
Oh, wow, that's gonna be repaid job. Can it be repaired? I know when some plastics are right brittle, it can be better just to hold your hands up and admit defeat. I hope that it can be repaired. I am sorry that this happened and it's a shame that they didn't use a more substantial plastic. This guy does look quite peeved by his arm issue.
(02-16-2020, 09:57 AM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, wow, that's gonna be repaid job. Can it be repaired? I know when some plastics are right brittle, it can be better just to hold your hands up and admit defeat. I hope that it can be repaired. I am sorry that this happened and it's a shame that they didn't use a more substantial plastic. This guy does look quite peeved by his arm issue.

If all else fails, masking tape will do the trick. Obviously the elbow would not be flexible, but since the joints are usually covered by uniform sleeves, tape would be adequate. But I'm curious to see if I can effect a better repair than mere tape.

These figures are usually reasonably priced on eBay (with shipping costing more than the price of the figure), so at least it's not a "rare and valuable" figure that is disintegrating from age.

The original figures from the 1960s and 1970s tend to hold up better than the reproduction figures.

I have learned that these GI Joe figures are actually strung together with elastic just like BJDs. And they feature ball joints at the hips and shoulders. Does that make GI Joe a BJD? Or... a BJAF: Ball Jointed Action Figure.
Oh no! sad Poor guy. I also hope you can fix it.... Interesting to hear about plastic issues besides Groove's famous "melt". Is anything screwable/pinnable?
Poor bloke! He does look rather annoyed by the whole thing.

I hope you’ll be able to fix him adequately- with or without masking tape.
I’d be annoyed too if my arm fell off like that.