Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Congrats on successful recovery of the lost Yasmina!
(12-11-2020, 03:29 PM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]These eBay "private offers" are something new.  It must be automated if you are watching an item.  I've never seen that big a discount.  I think I got an offer for a dollar off something.

Yes, the offers come in on items that are on watch lists. As you say, usually the offers are for a small price reduction, a few dollars or five percent or something. A while back, though, I was watching a jacket (for myself) and the seller offered 70% off, which made it a great deal that I felt fortunate to get. Well, I felt fortunate to have seen the offer before anyone else nabbed it, and to have had the funds in my account to act!

I'm beginning to wonder if the Dr. Evil offer was a typo. It's been two days and the item has not yet been shipped. Now I'm ex-pecting to receive an email along the lines of, "we're sorry, but the item you purchased is no longer available."

(12-11-2020, 06:53 PM)Loona Wrote: [ -> ]I swear some things have the ability to magically teleport from one place to another (and Yasmina does attend a magic school, doesn't she?), making it then super-difficult for you to locate them. I had that happen to me several times, and right now I also have dolls and things that are MIA in a similar manner. 

I currently have an entire box of old magazines that I cannot find! I know the magazines exist, because I have one of them that I took out of the box. I cannot for the life of me figure out what I did with it. I mean, it's big and heavy.

(12-11-2020, 07:57 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Congrats on successful recovery of the lost Yasmina!

I think it was more that she chose to be found. Honestly, some of 'em seem to be taking on lives of their own.

[Image: december11a.jpg]
11 December – Mini Adventure: Triv Investigates a Spooky Cavern

[Image: december11b.jpg]

[Image: december11c.jpg]

[Image: december11d.jpg]
Wow! That looks like something out of a sci-fi movie. Or a Jim Henson production. Very cool!
That’s really cool! I know it’s not a lava tube… Where were you?
Hurrah for finding the mis-placed Yasmina! It’s always concerning when that happens.

That being said - I’ve lost a box of teddy bears, last seen when we moved house. (We moved here 10 years ago...). I suspect it’s in the attic. One day we will unpack the last of the boxes under the stairs & see what’s in them.
This is very intriguing! What are Triv (and you) exploring there?
Cool cave! Cool photos! Especially the last one!

Miss Symmes is 1/6 scale, right? Too small for this one, I guess, but I was kinda ex'pecting her to pop up...
Cool photos!
(12-12-2020, 03:24 PM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]That’s really cool! I know it’s not a lava tube… Where were you?

(12-12-2020, 07:15 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]This is very intriguing!  What are Triv (and you) ex-ploring there?

It is an old drainage tunnel carved through a sandstone ridge beneath a highway.

[Image: december12.jpg]
12 December – Happy Birthday To Me

Most surprising birthday present yesterday: a Wild Hearts Crew Kenna Roswell figure!

I've been wanting another Kenna to try some different outfits on, and to use Kenna's outfit parts for other figures. I certainly did not ex-pect to receive one for my birthday. I'm happy to have received this before they are no longer available.

Yeah, I know, grown adult guy receiving playline dolls as birthday presents. Prolly kinda weird, huh?
Happy Belated Birthday!
Was this the present the Ameliae were examining?

(12-11-2020, 06:53 PM)Loona Wrote: [ -> ]I swear some things have the ability to magically teleport from one place to another ... making it then super-difficult for you to locate them. I had that happen to me several times, and right now I also have dolls and things that are MIA in a similar manner.
Man, I wish I had saved this when I first saw it, and I wish I could find it now... I've tried to google more than once but no joy. There was this terrific ex!planation of why things disappear. It was specifically related to small metal items in workshops. "G.O.N.E." -- Graviton Oscillation Neutrino Emission. The gist of it was that when you dropped a small item it set off some kind of spacetime vibration with the appropriate subatomic particles causing the disappearance of the item into a wormhole. Then something about how with the emission of a neutrino, the item was kicked back into our universe, usually in a different spot. This has happened to me so many times, including in the workshop, I should have a framed version of that theory down there. When I google all I get is "real" physics.
(And this is funny; I just tried again and all I got was a page from this forum from 2016 where I mentioned it before and said basically the same thing, because someone had lost a doll hand! LOL )
Trivia indulges her inner Lara Croft. I quite like that.
Happy birthday!

And if you ask me, 'guys shouldn't play with dolls' is a toxic bias that need to die.
Happy birthday. Hope you had a nice day.
Happy belated birthday davidd, and congratulations for the nice gift smile seconding neon's thoughts here: there's no place in this universe for toxic bullpoop like "dolls are for girls". That concept is about as obsolete and false as flat Earth.

I the photos of Triv's cave adventure are brilliant! And she is brave - I'm not sure I would have ventured in there. Caves are beautiful, but I prefer them on photos, thank you. They don't go well with my claustrophobia (before someone realises and questions a connection: yes, we did have a class at university that involved visiting caves when I studied geology. I skipped it. Luckily teachers understood it's better for both of us if they don't make me go in there).

(12-13-2020, 02:01 PM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Man, I wish I had saved this when I first saw it, and I wish I could find it now...  I've tried to google more than once but no joy.  There was this terrific ex!planation of why things disappear.  It was specifically related to small metal items in workshops.  "G.O.N.E." -- Graviton Oscillation Neutrino Emission.  The gist of it was that when you dropped a small item it set off some kind of spacetime vibration with the appropriate subatomic particles causing the disappearance of the item into a wormhole.  Then something about how with the emission of a neutrino, the item was kicked back into our universe, usually in a different spot.  This has happened to me so many times, including in the workshop, I should have a framed version of that theory down there.  When I google all I get is "real" physics.
(And this is funny; I just tried again and all I got was a page from this forum from 2016 where I mentioned it before and said basically the same thing, because someone had lost a doll hand!  LOL )

The ex-planation itself must have fallen into a wormhole and hasn't yet come back... as much as my degree in natural history makes me skeptic towards most phenomena that don't seem to have a proper scientific ex-planation, I swear there's got to be something like this. With a proper scientific ex-planation, of course, we just haven't found it yet. It has happened to me too many times (even with my forgetful personality) to be coincidence or random. The worst one I can think of was when The Cure, my biggest childhood favourite band, was playing here a few years ago. To secure a good place, I bought my ticket early, about a year before the concert, and approx. 2 weeks before the event I went to take it out of the envelope I store my tickets in, and realised it isn't there. At first it wasn't as scary as it got after a couple of days of search in vain - that's when I started to freak out and had a look at "Plan B": buying another one. But there was a reason I bought mine early: the tickets were sold out by then. Ad sites had a few tickets - for awful prices, in crappy sectors, and I wasn't sure I would have liked to attend the venue in that form. There was one point I even started to question myself and was no longer sure I didn't just dream buying the ticket Oh My  After a horrible and desperate week of spending all my free time (including nights, and some of my working time too - one afternoon my boss, who somehow heard about the issue, actually let me home a couple of hours earlier, so that I can look for the ticket. Bless her heart <3 ), I finally found the bloody thing in a box of random papers, mostly from my --- high school years! I don't remember when was the last time I opened up that box, so I just cannot see how the ticket could have ended up there with my help, in a blurry moment I then apparently forgot. It's just too irrealistic, even for my forgetful self. In the end all was well (and The Cure was awesome as always), but I probably aged a lot faster during those 2 weeks...
[Image: december13a.jpg]
13 December – Barbie Fashion Fairytales Flairy Shim'R

I thought at first that this Flairy might be under-dressed for the weather, but additional research through volumes of hoary and arcane tomes suggests that this unusual species of fairy has a high metabolism, and they are at their most active in cool temperatures, tending to estivate during the warmer months of the year. Ya learn somethin' new every day, I guess!