Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: june5.jpg]
5 June – Hasbro "Young Obi Wan" Action Figure

New arrival, an inekspensive eBay purchase, Hasbro 1/6 scale "Young Obi Wan Kenobi" action figure. The costume is very high quality. I am hoping the costume will fit some of my other figures, as that was the rationale behind this unplanned purchase. I mean, the fig was cheap, and that monk-like robe is too cool!

The figure itself is not a particularly good likeness of the character, and the articulation is stiff and unrealistic. The construction is solid and heavy, though, with good balance for standing unaided. It's definitely constructed to be a "playline" figure for kids to play with, rather than being a "collector" piece. The blade of the lazer sword light sabre detaches, so it can look like it is "turned off" and hang on the figure's belt.
That idea about the detachable blade is pretty cool.
The shadow the light sabre casts on young Padawan's gi makes me want to come up with a headcannon about Dark Light or something. Another headcanon is about what could you possibly use for certain prompts in the scavenger hunt smile
Ah, you managed to find one of the ones with the soft goods robes - they do fit other figures of the scale scale. There's a great use of shadow here.
(06-06-2020, 06:47 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]The shadow the light sabre casts on young Padawan's gi makes me want to come up with a headcannon about Dark Light or something. Another headcanon is about what could you possibly use for certain prompts in the scavenger hunt smile

Yeah, I realized that a "light sabre" should not be casting a shadow, but I couldn't figure out an effective way to get the light sabre to seem to cast light rather than shadow.
(06-06-2020, 09:12 PM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, you managed to find one of the ones with the soft goods robes - they do fit other figures of the scale scale. There's a great use of shadow here.

Yeah, when I tried to find this figure online I noticed that there are a variety of versions, many of which have molded-on outfits.
(06-07-2020, 02:21 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-06-2020, 06:47 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]The shadow the light sabre casts on young Padawan's gi makes me want to come up with a headcannon about Dark Light or something. Another headcanon is about what could you possibly use for certain prompts in the scavenger hunt smile

Yeah, I realized that a "light sabre" should not be casting a shadow, but I couldn't figure out an effective way to get the light sabre to seem to cast light rather than shadow.

I'm telling you, it's Dark Light. In the hands of a just hero, it can save the Universe, in the hands of corrupt villain, it will call forth doom. The equilibrium is fragile... [insert appropriately dramatic music]
(06-07-2020, 02:42 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm telling you, it's Dark Light. In the hands of a just hero, it can save the Universe, in the hands of corrupt villain, it will call forth doom. The equilibrium is fragile... [insert appropriately dramatic music]

Now the Appropriately Dramatic Music will be echoing in my mind and keeping me on edge all day....  Oh My

Dark Light is a rather cool sci-fi type concept well worth further consideration.
(06-07-2020, 03:25 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2020, 02:42 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]

Now the Appropriately Dramatic Music will be echoing in my mind and keeping me on edge all day....  Oh My

Dark Light is a rather cool sci-fi type concept well worth further consideration.
The idea of Dark Light was one of the many things that coalesced in my head to spark the creation of Realmspace (that series of fantasy novels that I write for my own amusement, because no one else is ever interested in reading them). The plot of the first book largely concerns the theft of a powerful magical gem stone called the Darklight Star.
PM me with a link, or so I can send you my email. I'd love to look at the first volume. I suspect several of our forum friends would be, as well.

[Image: june6.jpg]
6 June – "What a cool flashlight!" Carly checks out Star Wars dude's lazer sword light sabre
Carly would think it’s a flashlight.
This photo is absolutely brilliant! So pretty, and so hilarious! We love you, Carly!
Ahhh, a fantastic picture. And yes, flashlight is one of the many uses of those swords...
OK, so I only scrolled down to a point where only the hat's top was visible and Carly's face was not yet to be seen, and I was totally sure this is going to be a photo of a Yoda figure.

[Image: iJ6rgn7.jpg]

See? I will never be able to unsee this Tongue
(06-08-2020, 01:04 AM)Loona Wrote: [ -> ]OK, so I only scrolled down to a point where only the hat's top was visible and Carly's face was not yet to be seen, and I was totally sure this is going to be a photo of a Yoda figure.

The Force is strong with Carly, yesss!

Speaking of The Force:

[Image: june7.jpg]
7 June – Obi Wan makes the run to the rubbish dump in less than twelve parsecs

A glimpse in to the less glamorous side of the Star Wars world.